ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASROCK B450M Pro4 - Boot Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitekcomputing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASROCK B450M Pro4 - Boot Problems
    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 2:09am
Hello everyone,

I am in process of building my first Ryzen PC, but I am having a strange issue with what I believe is the mobo (ASRock B450M Pro4).

Here are the specs:
  • CPU - Ryzen 2600X @ 3.6Ghz (Stock, auto settings)
  • CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire
  • Memory - 4x8GB Corsair 32GB DDR4 @ 2133Mhz (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
  • GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX
  • Primary Storage - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • PSU - EVGA BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • MOBO - ASRock B450M Pro4 (Running 1.20, latest version at time of post)
The issue occurs during the following steps: 

1. Turn on PC - This works... Boots into Windows 10 just fine, no issues.
  2. Turn off PC - This works... Just FYI - all fans stop, computer is off as far as I know.
  3. Turn on PC (right after turning it off, like 5 seconds later) - Makes it to the ASRock screen, but just sits there. I disabled graphical POST (with AsRock Logo), in attempt to see any messages. Only status code on screen is 'A0'

So far, here's what I tried to fix the 'stalled POST screen':
  • Reset CMOS with jumper
  • Reset BIOS to default settings
  • Put in PSU from my other PC (which is working)
  • Unplug and reinstall all ram.
  • Install just 1 DIMM of Ram
  • Unplug and reinstall GPU
  • Verify front case headers (power button, light, hdd light, reset switch).
The only remedies to the 'stalled POST screen' after a shutdown are the following:
  • Unplug PSU (or flip switch on back of PSU)
  • Press the reset switch on front case when stalled (this causes a reboot, and it works)
  • Wait 2 minutes after shutting down. Then a boot up works normally.

Does anyone have any advice? Not sure what to do (or try) next... Could it be a bad board? This is my first ASRock board - I normally buy ASUS.

Thanks -

Mark

kerberos_20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 5:56pm
that would be harddrive post code
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14185108
hitekcomputing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitekcomputing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:14am
Kerberos_20-

I saw that A0 indicates issues with IDE and SATA....

I was hoping there would be be a more detailed message for the code, as I have a hard believing there is a real issue with anything SATA / IDE related.

Also, since I don't have any SATA drives plugged in, why would this code show? The only storage drive installed is a M.2 NVME SSD.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 1:35am
if u unplug m.2 drive, will a0 go away?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14185108
hitekcomputing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hitekcomputing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 3:14am
After contacting ASRock support, they had a few other recommended troubleshooting steps.

The primary recommendation was to remove the board from the case, and to only attach the CPU/CPU Cooler, 1 RAM module, GPU, and boot device. 

The result of this test was the same as with the board fully connected in the case - it still wouldn't boot after a shutdown.

I ended up replacing the board, and everything functioned normally.

Thanks for the helpful ideas!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 3:40am
By Odin! I swear ASRock's A/AB series must be the most RMA'd ones ever... Big smile

P.S. I'm glad that all is OK for OP now. Hug

JaysonJR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaysonJR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:08am
Same problem here , i can't boot after shutdown pc , already update to the lasted bios , still same issue ...
scitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:52pm
I had a similar issue with my B450M Pro4. 

However disabling fast boot in Windows itself and updating to the newest BIOS seems to have fixed it. 
It seems that the manual XMP Settings in the BIOS couldn't be loaded after shutting down the system because of Windows fast boot which prevents certain parts of the system to completely shut down after it has been turned off. 

Which actually brought my RAM down to 2100MHz instead of the normal 3000MHz. 

Now after disabling Windows fast boot in the energy settings in Windows and updating to the newest BIOS seems to have fixed the issue for me. 
thomasp423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomasp423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 9:49am
How did you find the B450m pro4 bios update download? I don't see it on Asrock's site.
scitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 5:25pm
Go to the product page, click on support and then on BIOS. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic