ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 - No POST - SOLVED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VolatilePulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 - No POST - SOLVED
    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:36am
Update: The RAM kit that I originally received was DOA. After an RMA for a replacement kit, it worked. Placing the RAM in slots A2 and B2 on the motherboard should allow the system to POST (granted you have good RAM). If you're going to enable the XMP profile for the RAM and are using an APU, be aware it hasn't been tested by the manufacturer for that specific scenario. While the APU and the MoBo can both handle the XMP profiles, the 2 together apparently don't work together as expected.

I ultimately had to set the RAM speed to 3133 after loading the XMP profile instead of the 3200 it is rated for. Just be aware your mileage may be different.

Full solution can be found here: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=9764&PID=56644&title=ab350-pro4-no-post#56644

----------

Hey guys, new to forum and new to PC building. This is my first rig but I've been around computers my whole life and understand quite a bit in regards to building computers. I've repaired damaged components and even upgraded and flashed computers for the military. That being said, I'm savvy but far from perfect.

I finally got all my parts in today and with my work schedule didn't get a chance to install them until ASRock had closed for the day. I spent the last several hours troubleshooting and attempting to figure out what's going on that I can't get this machine to POST.

The PC turns on, I get a Power LED indicator, the CPU and chassis fans spin up for about a minute, then the system power cycles, indefinitely with no display.

First, I'll include my hardware list, then I'll cover the troubleshooting tips I've tried.

Parts:
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 Rev 1.03 (Ryzen 2000 Series Ready)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
PSU: Corsair VS550 550W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200Hz
CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
DIMM Slots A2 & B2
Case: Corsair 200R
Storage: ADATA 256GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB HDD

Everything was originally plugged into the MoBo when I first turned it on but have since disconnected almost all case and storage plugs on the motherboard. This board has no LEDs or buzzer so troubleshooting has become incredibly difficult.

The board specifically shipped with the Ryzen 2000 Series Ready Sticker on it and was promised that indicates it should work the new APUs as well, including the 2400G I'm using.

The RAM modules are not only listed on the Raven Ridge QVL, but they are also supposed to run at their listed speed with no issues. If you missed it above, they are installed into the priority slots (A2 & B2). I have tried removing both, reinstalling, trying different slots as well as trying only one stick. No changes in behavior.

I have unplugged and plugged the 8pin (4+4) CPU power connector back in (specifically marked as the CPU power connector on the cable as well) and did the same for the 24 pin cable. I ensured that both are completely down with no gaps.

The APU literally fell into its socket with 0 force. Once the bar was lowered, it did not move an inch. The fan installed relatively easily minus a bit of sliding while attempting to secure it to the back plate.

The RAM modules make a sort of velcro or zipper sound when installing, but I hear an audible click from the "fixed" tab, then continue to press in the non fixed tab which also clicks and closes by itself. The RAM doesn't move once installed and both clicks are heard regardless of stick or DIMM slot.

I have 2 different monitors, which were purchased new recently and verified to be good prior to installation. I have tried VGA, DVI, and HDMI. No changes in behavior.

I have tried resetting the CMOS a few times as well.

Im seriously at a loss here as the only thing I can't verify is that the MoBo actually supports my APU. Please, if there is any support you can provide, I'd be ever grateful. I do plan on contacting ASRock eventually, but work prevents me from doing so as I'm on the other side of the nation and work the hours they're open. Will also try any ideas you can think of and provide any necessary pictures or other details.

Edit: Clarified the use of the 4+4 CPU power connector.

Edit 2: Added RAM Model Number.

Edited by VolatilePulse - 01 Oct 2018 at 2:05pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 1:52pm
Welcome to the forums Thumbs Up

First up, great post, you listed your specs, what is happening and what you have tried already in a very clear and easy to understand way, thanks.

Power cycling on Ryzen systems is almost always memory related, either the RAM is not supported or the CPU IMC isn't being correctly identified (CPU not supported). Given your symptoms and specs the first thing to check is the sticker on your BIOS chip. It isn't always replaced when boards are flashed post production but if it was it will help rule out CPU support. If the sticker states an old BIOS version (pre 4.xx) then the next step is to check if the serial number on the board matches the one on the box. Sometimes returned boards get put into the wrong box and resold by retailers, this can lead to a "Ryzen 2000 Series Ready" labeled board not actually supporting the new(er) APUs.

If that all checks out then the next thing to look at is RAM. I see you have already tried one stick but you did not mention if you tried it in each slot. If you have not already go ahead and try each module, one at a time, in each of the slots and see if you get post with either. Checking your RAM on Corsair's website does not list support for any AMD platforms. That doesn't strictly mean it isn't supported but it does mean Corsair have not verified compatibility themselves. Another issue is that RAM manufacturers will often "update" RAM models with different RAM chips and a new revision will not necessarily be compatible with an older one. When they run out of a particular RAM chip they frequently can't get the same chips in again and have to change to another type or brand.

RAM specs from Corsair website: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Memory-Size/Tested-Speed/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Note only intel is listed as supported.

It is encouraging that the kit is listed on the Raven Ridge QVL but that only means it is compatible with the CPU IMC, not necessarily the motherboard. 

AB350 Pro4 memory QVL: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#Memory

Click the drop down tab under "Vendor" and select Corsair to narrow down the list and you will see your RAM is not officially supported on this board. That said, I have noticed that most manufacturers do not update these lists very often and ASRock is no exception, you may require a newer BIOS to support it.

I hope this is of some use to you, good luck and post back with your findings Wink
VolatilePulse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VolatilePulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 2:09pm
Thanks for the reply. A few things, I have not tried booting with each stick in each slot so I'm doing that now to see if I have any luck. I've tried a couple of different configurations and slots, but not all. I have verified that none of the DIMM slot pins appear to be bent or damage (fea| I had installed the sticks incorrectly due to sound they made).

The BIOS chip does have a 4.60 sticker on it, but another user on this forum had mentioned their board wasn't actually flashed with 4.60,but rather 4.50. They used a GPU to be able to POST and flashed the BIOS with the correct version. This didn't seem possible, but maybe you would know better. Is it possible for the board to recognize the CPU but not the built in graphics chip? Would adding a low end GPU enable me to flash the BIOS? If so, I can arrange to get one.

As far as the RAM modules go, the only site I checked for compatibility is the product page on ASRock at https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#MemoryRR. It specifically states my memory module on there and was the final determining factor for making the specific purchase of this RAM even though it was a bit more than I originally budgeted for.

I just checked the RAM packaging and the only thing I can tell that may make a difference is the part number is 48-009085 rev AC. Really not sure if it means anything specific to support from this motherboard, but I really hope that's not the case as overall it was a good deal and I really don't want to return anything until I know for sure. Money is tight, but I'd rather test a known good part before waiting on a return or RMA.

One last thing, possibly irrelevant, was after reading a thread in regards to someone plugging in the GPU 6+2 power connector into their MoBo, they had mentioned troubleshooting by unplugging the connector. I did the same and the board no longer power cycles but still doesn't POST. plugging it back in forced the power cycle to reappear.

Thanks again for the information and hopefully this cleared up some of the concerns.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VolatilePulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 2:24pm
So, good news, kinda. One of the sticks in A1 worked. But only the one and only in A1. Is there anything I need to change in BIOS or is my RAM DOA?

Edit:XMP recognizes the RAM profile, but the motherboard is running it at 2133Hz. Attempting to set it to the specifications of the RAM causes power cycling. Resetting CMOS is the only fix.

Edited by VolatilePulse - 26 Sep 2018 at 2:45pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 3:01pm
That is great news, better to know what the problem is than have no idea Wink

That RAM is rated at 1.35v, try setting the voltage manually to 1.35 with the working stick installed (no other changes) then power off and install both sticks in A2 and B2 and see if they will work then. You could also try updating to the latest BIOS version for your board (5.00 I believe) and see if that gets you going. If not, return that RAM and get something different. 

RAM and Ryzen can be a real PITA but once you get it working Ryzen is great value. 

Be sure you have reset to factory defaults before flashing and use the instant flash method as it is the safest.

Edited by Xaltar - 26 Sep 2018 at 3:03pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by VolatilePulse VolatilePulse wrote:

As far as the RAM modules go, the only site I checked for compatibility is the product page on ASRock at https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#MemoryRR. It specifically states my memory module on there and was the final determining factor for making the specific purchase of this RAM even though it was a bit more than I originally budgeted for.

I just checked the RAM packaging and the only thing I can tell that may make a difference is the part number is 48-009085 rev AC. Really not sure if it means anything specific to support from this motherboard, but I really hope that's not the case as overall it was a good deal and I really don't want to return anything until I know for sure. Money is tight, but I'd rather test a known good part before waiting on a return or RMA. 

Sorry about that, I totally missed that there is a second qvl explicitly for Raven Ridge. It does appear you got a defective kit, it seems to be all too common these days, you are the second case of this I have seen on the forums in the last 2 weeks.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VolatilePulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 3:21pm
I just flashed the BIOS to 5.0,but pardon my ignorance but I can't seem to find where I can control the RAM voltage. My settings also appear to be resetting between system restarts and I'm not sure why. Just double checked the jumper to make sure I'm not getting delusional.

DOA RAM would be bad news as Newegg was very poor with this order overall and I'm currently boycotting them, but will need to contact them to start the process.

While I'm attempting to try this RAM before I deem it a lost cause, is there any specific recommendations for 3200 16GB kits for this MoBo and APU? Most of the name brands seemed to be right around that $170 range so switching shouldn't be too painful if I need to. If you think this is only a DOA issue, I can get replacement RAM, but it may take awhile.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 3:27pm
I am not really sure what to personally recommend when it comes to RAM, I have had no issues with my 2 Corsair kits but they are both older and I had them before upgrading to Ryzen. Interestingly, both defective (new) kits I have seen on the forums (recently) have been Corsair so maybe they have a QC issue at the moment. 

I know quite a few people that swear by G.Skill for Ryzen, most particularly the Flare X Series that are apparently designed specifically for Ryzen:

Not living anywhere where newegg delivers I have never had any experience with them but generally I haven't seen too many issues with them on the forums here and other Tech forums. 
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 2:47am
Most likely it's a DOA RAM or just a compatibility issue.

I'm one of the guys who swears by G.Skill for Ryzens. As is half the Internet. :D Flare X is a beast, especially for an APU where mem bandwidth is critical.

Since you mentioned the navy, do you have some spare ICBM in your garage maybe? LOL Willing to trade it for a pair of Flare X. You know, I promised the daughter a big firework party and I hate to disappoint. Dead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VolatilePulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 3:05am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I am not really sure what to personally recommend when it comes to RAM, I have had no issues with my 2 Corsair kits but they are both older and I had them before upgrading to Ryzen. Interestingly, both defective (new) kits I have seen on the forums (recently) have been Corsair so maybe they have a QC issue at the moment.

I know quite a few people that swear by G.Skill for Ryzen, most particularly the Flare X Series that are apparently designed specifically for Ryzen:

https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-flare-x-series-and-fortis-series-ddr4-memory-for-amd-ryzen

Not living anywhere where newegg delivers I have never had any experience with them but generally I haven't seen too many issues with them on the forums here and other Tech forums.

I figured I'd post an interim update. I contacted Corsair's Technical Support and explained the situation. They strongly urged me to run a memtest prior to requesting an RMA through Newegg but failed to address the fact that one of sticks fails post if it's installed in any slot by itself or with the other stick.

I contacted Newegg to begin the RMA process and by far this has been the best experience I've had with them in a while. They're allowing me to keep the current memory kit until the new one arrives which should be tomorrow or Friday at the latest as they are going to overnight it and it's likely to come from a warehouse 1 state away.

That being said, I'm going to run a memtest on the stick I'm currently using to ensure stability so I can continue to use it until the new kit arrives. As of now, the DRAM voltage has been set to 1.35V and after loading the XMP profile, I have the speed set to 2400 Hz as 3200 failed to POST and anything between resulted in an immediate BSoD on boot. As of now, it seems stable, but want to make sure before I put it through its paces the next day or 2.

Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

Most likely it's a DOA RAM or just a compatibility issue.

I'm one of the guys who swears by G.Skill for Ryzens. As is half the Internet. :D Flare X is a beast, especially for an APU where mem bandwidth is critical.

Since you mentioned the navy, do you have some spare ICBM in your garage maybe? LOL Willing to trade it for a pair of Flare X. You know, I promised the daughter a big firework party and I hate to disappoint. Dead

Funny you mention the Navy as I contracted for them and the Marines. That was many moon ago, and tons of hardware changes have been made since. Unfortunately, as much as I'm sure I could get a bunch for an ICBM, I'm sure I'd have too many other issues for being in possession of one.

I did take a look at the Flare X and while they look like they would be great, I was concerned about the Raven Ridge QVL for this board with that RAM. No G.Skill RAM could reach its specified speed on this board which is why I originally dismissed getting any. I'm sure with enough tweaking, I could reach the 3200 Hz they're rated for, but this is my first system and I tried to keep it as modest as possible. The Corsair shows a ton of promise and is significantly cheaper than the Flare X of the same ratings.

Ultimately I stuck with Corsair until I can determine there is compatibility issues with my current set up. The 2x8GB 3200 Hz kit was relatively cheap, especially compared to the Flare X, and clocked at the same speed it is rated for. I'm hoping I have no other issues down the road but will definitely post back once I receive my new memory kit.

Thanks a ton so far! Being able to POST and eventually get Windows 10 installed (in less than 10 minutes too) has been great considering the issues I've been having. Ryzen definitely is a bit more quirky than I originally expected, but I'll be so happy once this is done (for now ).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic