ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS update killed my SATA raid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired10240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS update killed my SATA raid
    Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 5:11am
Built new Threadripper. Got everything loaded/working last year but had to have my raid set up by professional. Unfortunately I recently updated the BIOS to the latest version 2.3 for my TR1900X. Yep, it destroyed my SATA raid setup, lost data on both raid drive letters. Data is backed up and recoverable but I? at a loss as to how to go about setting it up again. Can someone point me in the right direction without just pointing me to the ASRock raid setup guide? (http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/English.pdf)? I? like to understand how to do this so I can continue to make changes in the future. I?l break down the raids next time before making changes.

My goal is to get back to the configuration I had before the BIOS upgrade.
              1 - 960 SSD non raid as my OS drive ??Only thing that still works after BIOS update
              2 ??2TB SATA in raid 1 setup - using RAIDXpert2
              1??2TB SATA setup - using RAIDXpert2

Taichi X399 ATX - Ryzen 1900X - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 - Win 64 Pro - Samsung 960 EVO NVME M.2 - 3 - BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s - EVGA Geforce GTX 1070

I?e read a ton of RAID threads but not identified a thread with my configuration
3 AMD Raid Drivers mentioned in other threads are still in the driver folder
Easy Mode (F6) - Raid Mode = Disabled
Advanced/PBS - NVMe RAID mode = Disabled
System boots but 3 sata drives are no longer visible in File Explorer

When I enable NVMe RAID mode and launch RAIDXpert2 the login submit button is grayed out. admin/admin does not work to get me into tool. Getting ??em>License Level 0 - No RAID (Does not support RAIDXpert2)??error message

Found post to reload 3 AMD drivers. Reloaded fresh download from vendor.

Also found the steps below to set up SATA array. But I don? have the ?rofessional Gamer??board so can? do step 3.
For SATA array.
1. Boot into BIOS, hit F9 then F10
2. Boot into BIOS, set SATA mode to RAID
3. Set CSM to disable
4. F10
5. boot into BIOS
6. use RAIDXpert2 (RX2) to delete all drives you want included in the RAID and any
    arrays not needed
7. Create array, selecting each of your drives, one by one
8. F10
9. Boot into Boot Menu (F11)
10. Select install USB.  You should see UEFI only version.
11. Install the RAID drivers in this order:
   1-rcbottom - all your drives in the RAID will disappear
   2-rcraid - you will see your one RAID
   3-rccfg - you are good to go!
12. Install W10 on the RAID.
13. Enjoy.
What? your thoughts at this time??

Is there any way around a fresh OS install to get into RAIDXpert2??

Known Issues:
Users with an existing RAID array cannot perform an in-place driver or BIOS upgrade to add NVMe RAID support to their system.
    1. Users with an existing SATA RAID configuration must back up data on the SATA RAID array, and break down that array, before proceeding with any BIOS update or driver installation containing NVMe RAID support.
    2. If the existing SATA RAID array is a bootable configuration with an operating system, then a fresh install of Windows 10 will be required.
  1. A motherboard BIOS update is required to support NVMe RAID. After updating to a supporting BIOS, the disk configuration must be changed to RAID (from SATA or AHCI). This BIOS menu entry is often labeled "SATA Mode" or "SATA Configuration."
Taichi X399 ATX - Ryzen 1900X - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 - Win 64 Pro - Samsung 960 EVO NVME M.2 - 3 - BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s - EVGA Geforce GTX 10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic