ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

NVME SSD on J4105-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NVME SSD on J4105-ITX
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 4:51am
Hi guys!

I'm trying to build a new NAS after my QNAP died and want to run a raid 5 with 4 sata drives and one system disk. I really coudn't find any ITX card with 5xSATA, so I ended up buying the J4105-ITX with 4xSATA and bought a NVME drive with a NVME<->PCIE adapter. But the drive doesn't show up in BIOS, so I'm getting worried this doesn't work on this motherboard. Anyone knows if so and/or if there is any workaround? I noticed I can't switch SATA mode in BIOS which someone mentioned could help... :(
UglyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:57am
If it helps, I have this adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/MZHOU-Controller-Expansion-Supports-Profile/dp/B082D6RF6S

And this ssd:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-A400-120G-SATA-Internal/dp/B07P22T3VD
UglyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:18am
Could it be that this motherboard can't support NVME drives even with a converter? Is my only solution to but a SATA-card and a new SATA SSD? Will that 100% work?
slikegt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slikegt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:00am
Also interested in this question.
Will NVME SSD work via PCIe-X1 adapter
UglyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:03am
Ah, forgot to post an update. No, I spoke to the Asrock support and this mobo can not boot from pci at all. I had to give it up and instead I bought a usb<->sata converter for one of the internal motherboard USB ports (that are used to connect to front USB). This worked fine and I can have my boot disk there.
slikegt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slikegt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:14am
Oh! Cool! If not rubbed send me a link to the USB(internal)-SATA adapter£

I took the PCI e X1 - M2 and SD MVMe adapter for testing. BIOS UEFI, Windows 10, Ubuntu none see the disk.
slikegt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slikegt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:18am
UglyBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UglyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 3:14pm
I bought this converter here in Mexico, can't seem to find it on amazon us, but maybe you can Google it...

https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B07Z7ST8J7/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_X0EM4D9N162MK3F34JNK£_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic