ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/3.1 + 2400Mhz RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/3.1 + 2400Mhz RAM
    Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:07pm
Hello,

I just finished building up my new PC and I am encountering some issues with the memory profiles

My specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8350
MB: AsRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/3.1
RAM: 2x 8GB ADATA XPG V2 AX3U2400W8G11-DGV 2400Mhz CL11-13-13-35

My issue:

If I set the memory profile in BIOS to XMP 1.3 and set the frequency to 2400, The PC starts up, I can access the BIOS with no problems but when I try to boot up Windows 10 it keeps restarting, freezing or giving me BSOD with the error "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO". Even if I try to boot from USB to get to Windows setup it crashes mostly with the same BSOD as before or freezing.

Any ideas of what approach may I try?

Thanks in advance
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 2:53am
Originally posted by cynk42 cynk42 wrote:

Hello,

I just finished building up my new PC and I am encountering some issues with the memory profiles

My specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8350
MB: AsRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/3.1
RAM: 2x 8GB ADATA XPG V2 AX3U2400W8G11-DGV 2400Mhz CL11-13-13-35

My issue:

If I set the memory profile in BIOS to XMP 1.3 and set the frequency to 2400, The PC starts up, I can access the BIOS with no problems but when I try to boot up Windows 10 it keeps restarting, freezing or giving me BSOD with the error "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO". Even if I try to boot from USB to get to Windows setup it crashes mostly with the same BSOD as before or freezing.

Any ideas of what approach may I try?

Thanks in advance

You wrote you enabled (set) the XMP profile, but you also set the memory speed to 2400. Didn't the XMP profile do that for you, set the memory speed to 2400?

Is the DRAM voltage set to 1.65V?

Memory at speeds above 2000 must be used in the A2 and B3 slots.

The ADATA datasheet for your memory does not specifically state compatibility with AMD systems, but does say it is designed for 4th generation Intel systems:

http://content.ekatalog.biz/katalog/203A0000010531/2400MHz.pdf

If you check ADATA's website, they list some ASRock 990FX boards as compatible with your memory, but yours was not on that list. 16GB at 2400 speed may be more than the system can handle. 2400 is a memory OC, that is not guaranteed.

Use the link below, and use the Select System/Device tool to find memory ADATA suggests for your system:

http://www.adata.com/en/dram/5/#result

If you set the memory speed below 2400, do you still get the BSOD in Windows?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 12:09pm
Do NOT set the memory speed manually.

At this point, shut down, reset the BIOS, boot back into the BIOS, set/choose the XMP Profile, Save and Exit the BIOS.
cynk43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 6:35pm
Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You wrote you enabled (set) the XMP profile, but you also set the memory speed to 2400. Didn't the XMP profile do that for you, set the memory speed to 2400?

Is the DRAM voltage set to 1.65V?

Memory at speeds above 2000 must be used in the A2 and B3 slots.

1. I set both (profile and freq), tried only with profile and still does not work

2. DRAM Voltage was on auto but 1.65V

3. I am using A2 and B2 slots

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

At this point, shut down, reset the BIOS, boot back into the BIOS, set/choose the XMP Profile, Save and Exit the BIOS.

Tried it this way but windows keeps on restarting, 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by cynk43 cynk43 wrote:

Tried it this way but windows keeps on restarting, 

OK, good. You ARE making it into Windows.

Let's get these set so you can enjoy your computer.

1. Sticks in A2 and B2
2. Boot her up and into the BIOS
2a. BIOS > OC Tweaker > Multiplier/Voltage Change: Manual > CPU NB Voltage: add +0.05v  to existing CPU NB value shown. Note: This is not NB Voltage, but CPU NB Voltage. The "CPU NB Voltage" feeds the IMC, which sometimes with faster sticks you need to compensate the IMC for carrying the additional load.
2b. Set/choose the XMP Profile only, Save and Exit the BIOS.
3. Upon boot let it enter into Windows

4. Post back the results after following steps 1-3 above, please.

Edited by wardog - 04 Dec 2016 at 10:28pm
cynk43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 12:47am

OK, good. You ARE making it into Windows.

Let's get these set so you can enjoy your computer.

1. Sticks in A2 and B2
2. Boot her up and into the BIOS
2a. BIOS > OC Tweaker > Multiplier/Voltage Change: Manual > CPU NB Voltage: add +0.05v  to existing CPU NB value shown. Note: This is not NB Voltage, but CPU NB Voltage. The "CPU NB Voltage" feeds the IMC, which sometimes with faster sticks you need to compensate the IMC for carrying the additional load.
2b. Set/choose the XMP Profile only, Save and Exit the BIOS.
3. Upon boot let it enter into Windows

4. Post back the results after following steps 1-3 above, please.

I am not making it actually to windows. I get to the loading screen and when it should enter the Login screen it restarts,

Also tried the steps above, changed the CPU NB Voltage from 1.40 (default) to 1.45v and set the XMP profile, but the same result, the windows loading screen works, and when it should enter the login screen it restarts 
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 1:21am
Can you boot to Windows on any memory settings (try stock voltages and 1600 MHz with the appropriate timings if you haven't yet)? Can you run Windows in safe mode? Quick googling implies that "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" is a registry issue, not a memory issue. Did you have any issues while installing Windows?
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
cynk43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cynk43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 2:59am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Can you boot to Windows on any memory settings (try stock voltages and 1600 MHz with the appropriate timings if you haven't yet)? Can you run Windows in safe mode? Quick googling implies that "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" is a registry issue, not a memory issue. Did you have any issues while installing Windows?

I run them on 1600Mhz now, it was the only way I could install Windows... If I set them to 2400, even Windows setup gave me the BSOD "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO", I cannot get to safe mode or any other mode with them... 

With the solution from wardog above I don't get to BSOD any more but I cannot get into windows either
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 9:14am

With the solution from wardog above I don't get to BSOD any more but I cannot get into windows either

Then it's what PetrolHead says.

Any chance the drive you're using is from the "old' computer? If so, that's why.

But it's good to hear your BSODs are a thing of the past.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 9:16am

Fresh OS install, unless you can get into the Repair Windows screen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic