ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

new beta bios for X399 is up on ASRock site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by ajc9988 ajc9988 wrote:

Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

I am not sheepish, but overclocking it in a different way. That is why my system is stable.

That is fine, and I can understand that. But an all core overclock is very common. That is why when I saw thread handling errors, I immediately stopped, troubleshot what caused the problem, and identified it as the overclocking on the cores, specifically keeping bclk at 100, then changing the multiplier for all cores. If it did it for one program that ran fine on the prior BIOS, it really is something for them to be aware of, especially approaching about 1 month before TR2. I'm hoping we see a new beta BIOS in the next week or so, that way to give feedback over the next month if we find anything.

I do apologize for the more gruff response this morning. Guess the heat is getting to me (still no excuse). But I also hope I gave more information to show it is a legit concern and why.

Just out of curiosity, did you try giving the all core overclock that was stable on bios 2.00 a slight vcore bump ^ when trying bios 1.91E?, perhaps that particular bios (1.91E) need more vcore than the previous bios to be stable.
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:24am
Also most other vendors have Agesa 1.0.0.6 bioses as official out already for weeks now!

Asrock is still on the first beta that has been out for 1 months so far without any update.....pretty sloooooow moving if you ask me.   
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
ajc9988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajc9988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by lowdog lowdog wrote:

Originally posted by ajc9988 ajc9988 wrote:

Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

I am not sheepish, but overclocking it in a different way. That is why my system is stable.

That is fine, and I can understand that. But an all core overclock is very common. That is why when I saw thread handling errors, I immediately stopped, troubleshot what caused the problem, and identified it as the overclocking on the cores, specifically keeping bclk at 100, then changing the multiplier for all cores. If it did it for one program that ran fine on the prior BIOS, it really is something for them to be aware of, especially approaching about 1 month before TR2. I'm hoping we see a new beta BIOS in the next week or so, that way to give feedback over the next month if we find anything.

I do apologize for the more gruff response this morning. Guess the heat is getting to me (still no excuse). But I also hope I gave more information to show it is a legit concern and why.

Just out of curiosity, did you try giving the all core overclock that was stable on bios 2.00 a slight vcore bump ^ when trying bios 1.91E?, perhaps that particular bios (1.91E) need more vcore than the previous bios to be stable.

To be honest, I cannot remember. After it failed, I remember going back to the 2.00 version. But, because we were headed into summer, around that time I started playing with what voltages worked with which multipliers for full stable in the hotter months so I cannot remember at all. I can probably go back and test in the next couple days. That is a great point. I do think I did try a higher voltage, but since I do not have it logged or clearly remember doing it, I cannot say for sure.

Edit: Also, if my voltage looks low in my signature, it is because I paid the premium for the top binning from Silicon Lottery. This chip can do 4.1 on all cores at 1.35V.

Also, the beta BIOS has been out since May 11th, which means we are fast approaching two months.

Edited by ajc9988 - 30 Jun 2018 at 10:46am
// 1950X @ 4.05GHz @ 1.2875V // Asrock X399 Taichi // G.Skill 4133 Trident Z @ 3600 CL14 17 17 17 34 48 4x8GB //
// EVGA 980 Ti Classy // Custom Liquid Cooling Loop //
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:05am
2 months, yep!, your correct....makes their effort seem even more pathetic.

I'll remember Asrocks lame bios support and how bugs over a year old haven't even been addressed let alone fixed.....cough X370 Taichi/Fatality Pro Gaming....bloody disgraceful!!

Same is happening with X399.....P-State overclocking with 1900X and 1920X doesn't even work, clock gen non functional, XMP 3200 with Samy b-die still unstable....the list goes on and never gets fixed.

Edited by lowdog - 01 Jul 2018 at 9:10am
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:12am
If the error with bios 1.91E was happening at stock it would be a worry but if it's only when overclocked it's more than likely a voltage matter?

Edited by lowdog - 30 Jun 2018 at 11:12am
ajc9988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajc9988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:45am

If the error with bios 1.91E was happening at stock it would be a worry but if it's only when overclocked it's more than likely a voltage matter?

I hear ya. I'm pretty sure voltage increase was the first thing I tried after finding it because it makes sense to try it first thing. I just cannot remember with certainty, which is why this weekend I'll try it with 1.35V@3.95GHz. Considering that is stable for 4.1GHz, it takes away all doubt doing it that way. If the problem is gone, then I'll lower voltage until the error occurs, but if it doesn't appear at all, I'll assume it got corrupted last time (which I also think I tried reflashing it to rule that out also, but, as I said, I was playing with a lot during that period, then trying to get in last minute benches before it got much hotter here). Either way, if still there, screenshots will follow.
// 1950X @ 4.05GHz @ 1.2875V // Asrock X399 Taichi // G.Skill 4133 Trident Z @ 3600 CL14 17 17 17 34 48 4x8GB //
antorsae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antorsae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 4:16pm
I totally agree Asrock support for addressing BIOS issues is unacceptable. I still recommend TR to friends but I will not recommend Asrock MB compared to the competition.
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by antorsae antorsae wrote:

I totally agree Asrock support for addressing BIOS issues is unacceptable. I still recommend TR to friends but I will not recommend Asrock MB compared to the competition.

Exactly!....Asrock are just shooting themselves in the foot, they need to get some good bios programmers on board or else they will keep loosing customers because they can't sort out bios issues that other vendors don't have of at least fix.

Honestly it was a first time Asrock buy for me when AM4 and TR4 came out, bought both the Fatality Pro Gaming boards and a X370 Taichi and I will not buy another Asrock motherboard again because their bios is nothing short of sub standard to put it simply.

Edited by lowdog - 01 Jul 2018 at 9:17am
ajc9988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajc9988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 11:23pm

Originally posted by antorsae antorsae wrote:

Exactly!....Asrock are just shooting themselves in the foot, they need to get some good bios programmers on board or else they will keep loosing customers because they can't sort out bios issues that other vendors don't have of at least fix.

Honestly it was a first time Asrock buy for me when AM4 and TR4 came out, bought both the Fatality Pro Gaming boards and a X370 Taichi and I will not buy another Asrock motherboard again because their bios is nothing short of sub standard to put it simply.

First time Asrock owner, too. But, from the threads, etc., WE HAD LESS BIOS ISSUES THAN ASUS DID. They crank it out regularly, but have a lot of broken stuff in theirs. On offerings from MSI and Giga at the time of release, there really wasn't a good reason to get either of those.

With that said, I would like a more open BIOS like ASUS offers. And, if ASUS didn't try to bundle the 10Gbps card with the MB (added $100 to the price and all of my network is setup for 1Gbps, meaning it would go to waste), then they would have been in consideration (although I'm happy I didn't have to go through their BIOS firmware again, was a Maximus VIII Extreme owner).

Now, I do agree on getting a BIOS programmer that does what is needed. I don't know if Prema has worked much with AMD, but his work turning crappy Clevo stock BIOS into a working, thriving masterpiece is something I greatly respect. And he is starting to do desktop BIOS, or so I've heard. Forgot his actual name atm, but that is someone that knows how to take input from alpha and beta samples to good overclockers and tweak it to improve behavior and performance. I know Chew was giving feedback for awhile as well, don't know if that is still happening. But, I also read about all the others being broken on AGESA 1.0.0.6 back in May, don't know if it was ironed out or not by now. So let's keep with facts in calling for action.

I got this board to get away from ASUS firmware nightmare at times, and on board breakdown, and because giga was sending more volts and blowing up AM4, along with other recent issues historically, and the breakdown on the MSI board. Now, if EVGA did an X399 Dark board, I think I would jump ship (maybe wait until 7nm so that I might get PCIe 4 or 5 next year, but still).
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 4:51am
@ ajc9988 is you memory actually stable at 3600MHz??? have you run HCImemtest + ramtest with numerous warm/cold boots in between to test if booting doesn't cause instability????

No matter what I have tried with my 2 sets Samsung b-dies - 4 x 8GB Flare X 3200MHz and 4 x 16GB Trident Z 3200MHZ I can only have 100% stability @ 3066MHz.

The 4 x 8GB combo will run 3200 - 3333 - 3466 - 3600 and show apparent stability @ 3200 - 3333 - 3466 going to 1000% HCIMemtest and ramtest as well but sooner or later after either a warm reboot or a cold reboot either one of those ram test programs will throw an error....so what previously had seemed stable now throws an error - WTF!.....where as the 3066MHz never fails.

Same with the 4 x 16GB....perfectly stable @ 3066MHz.....appears stable @ 3200MHZ but eventually after a few reboots an error gets thrown in a ram test program.

Got me stumped, no matter what I try it's always the same scenario with both sets of ram and I've tried with 2 x cpu a 1900X and a 1920X and results were the same. How can it run both HCIMemtest and ramtest stable then some how get screwed up after a reboot.

Edited by lowdog - 02 Jul 2018 at 4:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
  Share Topic