ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which M2 port on Z390 ITX Phantom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topforum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which M2 port on Z390 ITX Phantom
    Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:34am
Hello,

I've just got a Z390 ITX Phantom from Asrock. For my storage, I just have a Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb. My graphic card is not a blower style (now, it's a GTX1080 triple fan, soon, a RTX2080 FE).

Here's my question :
Where does Asrock suggest to install a M2 NVME SSD ? On front under the heatsink or on back ?

What would you do ?

Thanks !

Edited by Topforum - 13 Nov 2018 at 2:35am
blaqqcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaqqcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:20pm
Hi,

From the manual, the M2 on the back is named M2_1, the one on the front M2_2 (or M2_0 and M2_1).
Same can be found in the BIOS.

I would (and i will) ocupy the one in the rear first, and set it as boot (OS) drive, so that the second one will be easier to install later on (without removing the MB from the case). I guess ASRock thought about this the same way.

Good luck!
Intel i5 8400 - ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX - HyperX RGB 2x8GB 3200Mhz C16 - Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ - Corsair RM750x - Samsung 860EVO - NZXT H200
Topforum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topforum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:19pm
Thanks for your reply.

I'll only have one M2 SSD. I won't buy another one.

Would you still use the rear one ?

Thanks
blaqqcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaqqcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:48pm
If you are wondering about performance, it will work exactly the same no matter the slot (they are "wired" the same).

If you like things in perfect order (like me), then you should install it at the back since that's the 1st one in the BIOS.

Regarding the front heat spreader, i would not count on it to much: the SSD gets heat from underneath (from the chipset) and from all sides (GPU backplate, CPU, VRMs). With proper case cooling, maybe it will keep the front SSD at nearly the same temperature as the rear one, wich is heat protected by the MB (but it also doesn't receive any case cooling). My theory is that heatspreader is a necesity so the SSD won't fry to death.

So if i were you i would install it at the back.

As for me, i will soon buy myself a 970 EVO and install it the same way. Later on i will install another identical one in the front and compare temps (if available, because i had no luck getting NVMe drive info on my last gaming laptop). Oh, and presuming i will get my CHA_FAN_1 issue fixed and get to keep this board and not switch back to ASxx. Any ideas on http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10143&title=z390-phantom-gaming-chassis-fan-issue ? I would apreciate your opinion. 

Will post back the results, but not soon, since my PC budget is running low theese days.

Edited by blaqqcat - 13 Nov 2018 at 2:53pm
Intel i5 8400 - ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX - HyperX RGB 2x8GB 3200Mhz C16 - Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ - Corsair RM750x - Samsung 860EVO - NZXT H200
Topforum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Topforum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 12:26am
Hello,

Thanks for your help. Actually, I'm on an Asus Z370 ITX and I installed my SSD on the back, exaclty for what you said (keep the chipset at reasonable temps). But I wanted another opinion before mounting my new Z390 Phantom. I'll follow what you said.

For your fan control, I read somewhere that 2 of the 3 ports only where fully ajustable. The last one is of another kind (I don't remember the details but it was absolutly clear). I've 4 pins fans. I'll come back to you when I'll install my new PC, but I'll do it in around 2 weeks... I'm conviced that 4 pins fans will be fully ajustable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic