ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Phantom Gaming Chassis Fan issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaqqcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Phantom Gaming Chassis Fan issue
    Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:39pm
Hello,

I have built a new desktop PC using the Z390 Phantom ITX and NZXT H200 (other components in my signature).
The board came with BIOS v1.10 and the case with two identical 3-pin fans (1400rpm max).

On the CPU Fan header i have the stock CPU fan connected.
On the CPU OPT fan header i have one NZXT chassis fan connected.
On the CHA FAN 1 fan header i have the other NZXT chassis fan connected.

Right from the start (no Windows installed) i am facing the following issue: 
CPU and CPU OPT fans work as set in the BIOS (either presets or custom curves). Fan test works as intended on theese two (~500rpm up to ~3000rpm on the CPU and ~1400rpm on the 1st NZXT).
However the NZXT connected to CHA FAN header goes full speed at all times. Fan test yelds same result across the % (0%...100% => 1400rpm).

What i already tried:
Switched fans with each other....same result.
Updated BIOS to a version wich i see now that has been removed from the board support page (??) - i think v1.29 (should i be worried?)...same result.
Reset CMOS on all BIOS versions...same result.
Installed Windows 10 X64 Pro and ran Phantom Tuning, trying same stuff in Windows...same result.

Should i RMA the board? I don't want to spend money on 4-pin PWM fan just to find out that it still doesn't work. 

Thank you!
Intel i5 8400 - ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX - HyperX RGB 2x8GB 3200Mhz C16 - Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ - Corsair RM750x - Samsung 860EVO - NZXT H200
blaqqcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaqqcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 4:20pm
SOLVED

Bought a Noctua 140mm Redux with PWM. This one can be controlled via PWM.
Turns out, as ASRock support quickly replied to my support ticket, that this board cannot DC control a fan on the chassis header, by design.
My last desktop board was the Asus Maximus Impact, so i guess i was spoiled.

Cheers
Intel i5 8400 - ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX - HyperX RGB 2x8GB 3200Mhz C16 - Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ - Corsair RM750x - Samsung 860EVO - NZXT H200
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic