ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

My AMD-Asrock Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote najiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My AMD-Asrock Rig
    Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:09am
This happens to be my first desktop PC build ever and yes I built it with an Asrock motherboard, an Asrock 880GM-LE. There were other alternatives during my purchase but this board just seems to offer the best set of features at that moment for the following reasons:

• This offered more SATA ports
  • Supported 1600Mhz DDR3 which was a higher-end feature at that time
  • Has PCI slots

Final build includes the following hardware:

• Motherboard: Asrock 880GM-LE (AM3+)
  • Processor: AMD Athlon II 4X 640
  • Graphics: Sapphire HD 6770
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz
  • PSU: FSP Supersonic 550W
  • Chassis: NZXT Guardian 921RB
  • Boot/Storage: WD Blue 500GB

I'm a gamer on a budget obviously and the beginning was a little rough to be honest. It doesn't look good at first, just see the image below.

It was my first build, I didn't really care how it looks as long as it runs my games. Getting into the enthusiast builder spirit, I did the best I can to make it look cool and appropriate as a 'gaming PC'. 

I added LED fans and I painted the chassis with metallic blue along with the blue LEDs. Sorry for the messy modular cabling. It's really the best that I can do at that moment. Not really some hardcore pro modding stuff but I was just thinking it would be nice to make it look different so I painted the chassis.

The front panel was challenging to disassemble. The front panel temperature reader and sensors along with the front I/O panel needed to be removed.

This chassis is very unforgiving for neat cable management. I had to flatten a portion of that piece of metal in between the motherboard tray and ODD drive bays. I used an acrylic based paint, blue metallic color. I think it suits the space-age design of the NZXT Guardian 921RB.

Added some blue anodized screws to complete the blue theme of the rig.

The completed build has a blue color theme, mostly painted. At the time I built this rig, the Asrock 880GM-LE was the best bang for buck motherboard option I found. I like that it had 6 SATA ports for expansion and 2 PCI slots. I did utilize one of the slots later on, adding a sound card.

Gaming with the Asrock 880GM-LE Build

I only game at 720p, medium settings with this build except for the older game titles like Neverwinter, Neverwinter II and some of the Command and Conquer titles, I believe it was Red Alert 3. I loved the Athlon X4 640 processor. It can handle pretty much everything I can throw at it at 720p and even 1080p gaming. If there was a bottleneck, it was the HD 6770 which I upgraded to GTX 560TI and an Intel sandy bridge build later on to play Call of Duty: MW3, Battlefield 2 and 3, Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2 and 3.

For budget gamers, I would highly recommend an AMD build with an equally capable Asrock board. I'm still a proud AMD user, currently with an FX 8370 on an MSI 970 Gaming but I won't mind going back to my first love Asrock AMD boards!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:16am
Great job for a first build Thumbs Up
tonystark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tonystark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:36am
yes not bad! My 1st build was much worse! LOL! 
yajllewor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yajllewor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:38am
Nice 1st build! Mine was a  shop prebuilt pc.  I had an Asrock mobo on my first PC too, lga 775 :)  awesome motherboard, lasted years
greatgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greatgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:34am
Good job. My first build was a disaster. I was not a wise shopper at that time.
aceorpilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aceorpilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:17am
Awesome Job !!!
najiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 12:53pm
Thanks guys :) Looking forward to reviving my FX 8370 rig with an Asrock board! :D
samuelx23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samuelx23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 12:19am
Kewl! I would love to see more posts from you. :)
whatswithjeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whatswithjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 12:11am
nice build! this reminds me of my first build as well
tag75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tag75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:18pm
I do like yr case never seen it beforeBig smile
treat people the way you want to be treated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic