ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing M.2 drives on Z390 Taichi Ultimate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fretman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fretman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing M.2 drives on Z390 Taichi Ultimate
    Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 4:08am
The motherboard manual says to use slot #1 for fastest boot time. I assume it must be the 1st slot to be scanned. Use the slot #3 w/heatsink for whichever SSD will be used the most since they generate most of their heat while reading/writing. That probably means putting your OS SSD in slot 3, sacrificing a little boot time in exchange for the better heat management (although slot #1 is right next to the CPU cooler/fan so maybe that's a wash, in which case put the OS SSD in slot #1).
Zippies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 2:58am
I want to install two M.2 drives (Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 PCIe) on a Z390 Taichi Ultimate MOBO. One drive is 1TB which I want to use for my boot drive, and the other is 2TB for data.

The MOBO has 3 M.2 slots, but only #3 has a heat sink. I have these questions:

Is there a best slot for the boot drive? Why does only one slot have a heat sink? Does that make it preferable for one of my drives?

Thanks for any help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic