ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard for i7 8700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddduidharaah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherboard for i7 8700
    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 4:55pm
Hi, I recently bought an i7 8700 and I read that you need a z370 motherboard for it. I have a PRIME H270M-PLUS. Is it compatible? it has 1151 socket. If it is compatible what are the disadvantages? If not what is the cheapest motherboard I could get? If my motherboard doesnt support i7 8700 im planning on buying a Msi Z370-a Pro. What are your thoughts on that motherboard?

I'm not planning on overclocking
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 6:01pm
No, 8th gen CPUs are not compatible with 200 series boards. You will need a 300 series board to support the 8700, if it is the non K variant then you can even get away with a B360, I would not recommend an H310 however, the power delivery on the lowest tier boards is not ideal for 6 core/12 thread CPUs, it would work but you risk overloading the VRMs.

So, to answer your question, this is the cheapest board I would recommend for your use:
Cheapest: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B360%20Pro4/index.asp

Anything cheaper than a mid-tier B360 will potentially cause you problems with longevity and temps. As for the MSI board, this is the ASRock community forum, why post here if you don't own or plan to own an ASRock product? That said, I recommend the above board because of it's price/value, not just because this is the ASRock forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic