ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 tech specs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 tech specs
    Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 5:06am
Hi!

I'd like to buy one of Z170 boards: oc formula or extreme7+, but I have couple of questions.

1.Is in ASR Z170 oc formula on first pci-e x16 slot space for gpu with backplate (for example msi geforce gtx 970 which I have)? How many milimeters are between pci-e slot and I/O shield or RAM slots?

2. Is ASR Z170 extreme7+ also made with 8-layer PCB?

I will use MatLab, 3D programs like Catia and ofc gaming in spare time. I have water blocks for CPU and GPU and I like to OC (6600k). What are your opinions about these two?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 1:57pm
There should be no problems with clearance on either board unless you are using some kind of aftermarket GPU cooler and backplate that protrudes more than commercial models like the Arctic Accelero Xtreme series which sticks out about a whole slot or more on the backplate and even then it should still fit.

The Extreme 7+ only says "high density glass fabric PCB" there is no mention of how many layers. That said the Extreme series have always been very solid and not subject to much flex so I wouldn't worry about it.

The system you mentioned should be fine for the applications you plan to use. Advanced rendering can be made faster with more threads (i7 or Xeon with hyperthreading) but general work and mesh manipulation will not see any real advantage from the extra cores. I do most of my own 3ds Max work on a pentium G3258 and never feel like the CPU is holding me back. The 6600k should serve you well.

filips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 7:33pm
Thanks for rapid response, but I still have objections about space for backplate.
Here is image from official ASRock site, on which I showed places where (in my opinion) backplate may not be able to fit or may block RAM slots.
Green - line of pci-e slot
Red - mentioned places

Orginal photo from ASR: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20OC%20Formula/

I know it's only photo and I didn't have this mobo in my hands, but there is lack of space. If you saw it and there is more space than it looks like please tell me. I read that placing gpu in second slot sometimes may cause some problems because bios doesn't read it properly.

Extreme7+ also is great OC mobo but there is no clear CMOS button, which is very useful.

BTW. Is there a noticable difference between PCIe 3.1 and PCIe 3.0 for normal user like I am?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 9:49pm
I see what you mean by the shroud. I would imagine it should still fit. Even if it does not you can easily remove the shroud and if necessary trim it down a little, though I am not sure how that may effect the warranty. By the look of it and blowing up the image to near enough scale it should accommodate my GTX 960 G1 Gaming's backplate. 

Edited by Xaltar - 19 Oct 2015 at 9:49pm
filips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 11:26pm
Thanks for information. I think I will chose extreme7+, it's very good mobo and in some reviews it reaches 5.0GHz with 6700k. The primary reason is the ability to add/remove RAM sticks without removing GPU (with LC block and tubes it may be impractical) even if GPU has big backplate.
Thanks again!

Edit: I'm really curious about the place GPU in PCIe slots. If there are many PCIe 16x can I connect GPU to random slot and should it work? I read many posts about it and there were diverse opinions.

Edited by filips - 20 Oct 2015 at 12:46am
vannex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:55pm
Short answer: No, you can't connect your GPU to any of the "x16" slots.

Long answer: Be careful regarding multiple PCIe x16 slots!  In fact only 1 is a true x16 slot.  The rest are made to look like x16 but they are actually x8 or lower.  When you look closely at the board you can see that the pins are actually missing from the slots.  In my opinion it's false advertising - take a closer look at the specs.  I copied this from the Extreme7+ specs page:

- 4 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE2/PCIE4/PCIE6: single at x16 (PCIE2); dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4); triple at x8 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE4) / x4 (PCIE6). PCIE3: x4 mode)*
filips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 5:56am
Yes, PCIe 3.1 was only on a graphics:) I took extreme7+, it may be an overkill but I like it a lot. Thanks guys!
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 6:12am
If You ask me, I like the Ex7 more than the OC-F.
Why? Colors are great, and the layout is similar.

There will be no difference if You don't overclock on DICE/LN2,
and use 1-2 GPU's.
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 9:40pm
Agreed on the colors, the extreme 7+ would be my board of choice too if I were to make the jump to skylake now.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 1:44am
Originally posted by vannex vannex wrote:

Short answer: No, you can't connect your GPU to any of the "x16" slots.

Long answer: Be careful regarding multiple PCIe x16 slots!  In fact only 1 is a true x16 slot.  The rest are made to look like x16 but they are actually x8 or lower.  When you look closely at the board you can see that the pins are actually missing from the slots.  In my opinion it's false advertising - take a closer look at the specs.  I copied this from the Extreme7+ specs page:

- 4 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE2/PCIE4/PCIE6: single at x16 (PCIE2); dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4); triple at x8 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE4) / x4 (PCIE6). PCIE3: x4 mode)*

You are correct about the difference between the physical slot size (x16) and the electrical connections of each physical x16 slot. But limitations of the Z170 platform are factors in the number of PCIe 3.0 lanes assigned to each slot.

Skylake processors provide just 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, so providing all 16 lanes to every x16 slot has limited significance.

A two video card SLI or CrossFire configuration results in eight PCIe 3.0 lanes for each card. Three card Crossfire further reduces the maximum lanes available for each card.

If each x16 slot had 16 PCIe 3.0 lane connections, the ability to assign lanes to each x16 slot is required. That adds complexity and cost to a mother board. That flexibility would be nice, but is the additional cost worth it for every owner, given only 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes are available?

Physical x16 slots must be used regardless of the number of PCIe 3.0 lanes available. Otherwise how can x16 physical cards be used in a physical x8 or x4 slot?

To quote the specs again, "4 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots (PCIE2/PCIE4/PCIE6: single at x16 (PCIE2); dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4); triple at x8 (PCIE2) / x4 (PCIE4) / x4 (PCIE6). PCIE3: x4 mode).

Note that the word Slots is used, which is a physical description. We may interpret x16 slot as also describing the electrical connections used, but is that truly correct? IMO, no.

So is this false advertising? Or a less than accurate interpretation by the reader?

Can we connect a video card to any of the x16 slots? Yes we can. But the number of PCIe 3.0 lanes available electrically in each x16 slot varies both by the design of the board and the number of video cards being used.

Will a video card's performance be reduced when fewer than 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes are available to the card? The general consensus is eight PCIe 3.0 lanes for most if not all current video cards does not limit performance by a significant amount, if at all. Only four PCIe 3.0 lanes will reduce performance.

The number of PCIe lanes available on "Mainstream" and "Performance" Intel platforms, which includes Z170 boards, is nothing new and has been 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes since Ivy Bridge. PC builders should be familiar with these specifications and the limitations of PCIe lane to PCIe slot assignments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic