ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > HTPC & Mini PC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finding 1070, 1080 mxm cards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiant200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding 1070, 1080 mxm cards
    Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 8:01pm
Apologies in advance in case it has been asked before. I am thinking of purchasing an Asrock deskmini 1060 gtx b250m. Although the 1060 is exceptional where could I find an asrock approved 1070 or 1080. Ebay has some options available but I am reluctant to order. Does Asrock have any dealers to order mxm cards? Thank you.
Valiant200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiant200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 2:04am
Replying to my own post. It seems that Eurocom does sell MXM based cards here http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,451,0)MultiGPU.

However, the cost to purchase for example a 1070 is prohibitively excessive to say the least, close to 1000 euros if we include mounting kit and P&P.
Valiant200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valiant200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 2:21am
Furthermore, it seems that there are cheaper alternatives by going to a vendor laptop upgrade page and getting a MXM kit from there which is somewhat cheaper (http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(3,427,0)MS_GT73VR). 864 for P&P+tax is not cheap but it surely beats the previous post. I am a bit skeptical on compatibility but its a type B therefore is should have any issues. They include X-bracket, screws, thermal pads, ICD7 in the final price.
Fabione View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabione Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Valiant200 Valiant200 wrote:

Apologies in advance in case it has been asked before. I am thinking of purchasing an Asrock deskmini 1060 gtx b250m. Although the 1060 is exceptional where could I find an asrock approved 1070 or 1080. Ebay has some options available but I am reluctant to order. Does Asrock have any dealers to order mxm cards? Thank you.

Hi there and sorry for bothering, I'm in the same exact situation.. I also found an 1070 that should be working but I'm facing another problem, the power supply, the 1070 should consume also 40w more than the 1060..how is your experiment going, found the card and putted in? is it working fine? Thanks!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 12:53am
This kind of upgrade can be tricky. As you mentioned, the 1070 uses more power so you would very likely need to upgrade your power brick. From what I understand, the Deskmini GTX uses the standard MXM connector and form factor so in theory, any MXM GPU that meets the supported MXM standards should work. There is a 1080 model Deskmini and it does indeed ship with a higher output power brick, 270w vs the 1060 model's 220w.

However, this is where things get tricky. MXM is not as standardized as regular PCIe and some vendors will use proprietary firmware versions that may not be compatible with other systems. In other words, you will want to look for universal MXM GPUs that are not brand specific (acer, dell, HP, Lenovo etc) to be safe. I suspect ASRock made the Deskmini BIOS as compatible as they could with different vBIOS versions but there is always a chance that a branded MXM GPU has a proprietary vBIOS to ensure it only works on systems it's designed to.

If you do go down the route of upgrading your MXM GPU, please post back with your results, I would love to know how it goes for you. Don't forget to upgrade the power brick.
besthomefurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote besthomefurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:23pm
I am also thinking of buying Asrock desk mini but at a cheap rate. Can anyone tell me the right place from where I get it? Someone give me the bad advice of buying it from Best Home Furniture Brands where I found cheap rates home appliances but don't my Asrock Desk mini.
https://www.besthomefurniturebrands.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic