ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

fails running RAM 3Ghz XMP, Taichi Ult + 9900K

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:30pm
I've got the exact same problem.

I bought a 2nd kit of 2x16gb G.Skill 3600mhz C17 ram.

Those 2 bios settings above didn't help. Updating to latest bios didn't help. Updated the INF for good measure. Nothing.

Even winding back to 3000mhz C15 didn't help as it became extremely unstable. It only worked at the default non-XMP speed. Manual setting to the correct timings didn't help either.

My first guess is that either the board just doesn't work with 4 sticks of ram at high speeds

The second guess, I scanned the sticks with Thaphoon Burner and found that the 2nd set of sticks are Hynix ram. The originals I bought because they were Samsung B-Die, but apparently G.Skill changed that ram over last year.

Of course, that second guess wouldn't explain it for people who've bought 4 sticks of the ram at the same time, where they're almost certainly on the same ram module type.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:51pm
@bobau The 2 kits having different memory chips on them could well be the problem
in your case. Unfortunately this happens often with RAM manufacturers and is why
tech sites and gurus always recommend matched kits or at least consecutive serial
numbers. When the RAM manufacturer runs out of a given RAM die they will replace
their stock with whatever fits the data sheet for the best price and not bother
changing the RAM model and in most cases don't even bother to add a revision number.

I have even run into "matched" kits that have samsung on one module and hynix on
the other, clearly one was made before the switch and one after. This was back
in the days of DDR 400 however and I have not seen the issue pop up since (I
was not alone and there were complaints).

IMO they should at the very least add a "rev 1.0" then "rev 1.1" etc every time
they change RAM dies out maybe even as far as "rev 2.0" if the dies come from
another vendor entirely.
bobau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 8:50pm
Yeah it's pretty poor from G.Skill, I wouldn't have expected such a shady bait & switch from them. I've been using their ram for decades now.

And yeah definitely possible it's not necessarily the same fault as the OP and subsequent posters and is just because it's different dies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic