ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Gaming ITX - poor SSD performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Gaming ITX - poor SSD performance
    Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:38am
My hardware:

- ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard
- 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 NVME (OS drive, 10% full)
- 1TB Samsung 860 EVO m.2 SATA (storage drive, 30% full)
- Windows 10, i5 9700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060 FE

Why are my m.2 drives performing poorly compared to others with the same drive?

I'm suspecting it has something to do with the ASRock Z390 motherboard, as I can't see another reason.

- The latest Samsung firmware is installed on both drives
- The latest Samsung NVME driver is installed for the 970 EVO Plus

Link to full benchmark results here:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17185702

Any suggestions?

Thanks
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:24am
Samsung-SSD-970-EVO-Plus-1TB Average user bench = 263% so you are not far off the average for that SSD.
The website comment on your test result: "258% is an exceptional SSD score. This drive is suitable for heavy workstation use, it will facilitate fast boots, responsive applications and allow for fast transfers of multi-gigabyte files."
If you run a RAID array it will raise your score by about 40% iirc so you need to be wary about what actually the higher test scores show as the website DOES NOT state if a RAID array was in use for the tests from what I could see.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
Prizm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

Samsung-SSD-970-EVO-Plus-1TB Average user bench = 263% so you are not far off the average for that SSD.

According to the screenshot, the average is bench is 329% and my bench was 258%. It mentioned I'm in the 7th percentile, which to my understanding means that 93% of users who tested the same SSD are getting faster results than me.

Originally posted by badbri badbri wrote:

the website DOES NOT state if a RAID array was in use for the tests from what I could see.

I think it's extremely unlikely that the majority of people who tested that SSD are running RAID.
Something is not right, and at this stage I still suspect it's the ASRock motherboard.
Shizzle Popped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shizzle Popped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 6:26pm
I'm having the same issue as @Prizm with a Samsung EVO 970 Plus (250GB) on an Azrock Z390 Extreme4 MB. It's benching in the 11th percentile. The benchmarks look like what you would get if the drive was plugged into a PCIe 2.0 slot instead of 3.0. The board and drive are both on the latest BIOS/Firmware.
marrak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 8:55pm
I'm considering purchasing the combo of aforementioned Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX + Samsung 970 EVO plus.

Just curious if any of previous users have resolved the performance issue? There seems to be a newer BIOS (4.10) out also. Maybe this fixes something.
CHnuschti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHnuschti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 12:33am
Can't confirm this. Having the Taichi z390 ultimate and the Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB, i get the expected 3-3.5 GB/s read/write
So the score of prizm is indeed out of of any reasonable range. Hard to say why. IMO there are also no settings in the BIOS for the M.2 slots, they are just listed.

There are specific drivers for that 970 evo: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evoplus/
There is also a newer firmware for the same: https://bartechtv.com/samsung-releases-new-firmware-for-970-evo-plus-that-resolves-macos-compatibility-issues/

Applied both successfully, but anyway that nvme for me did run as expected also with the usual firstly installed standard drivers of windows.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic