ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 3600x, X470 Taichi, b-die, unstable memory, WHEA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

3600x, X470 Taichi, b-die, unstable memory, WHEA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AsRx470Tc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:55am
I can boot 48GB (2x16GB & 2x8GB sticks) of memory on 3200MHz with the settings on the image below. 3.40 bios, 3600X CPU.

AsRx470Tc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AsRx470Tc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:56am
....lowering any of those settings will result in a BSOD
Max9R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max9R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by AsRx470Tc AsRx470Tc wrote:

I can boot 48GB (2x16GB & 2x8GB sticks) of memory on 3200MHz with the settings on the image below. 3.40 bios, 3600X CPU.

I can boot at 3200 CL14 etc... it's just super unstable. I haven't tried leaving XMP off, just seemed like a ridiculous step to have to take, but I'm going to try it and see what happens. Clearly based on everything I've seen this is a RAM related issue.

Anyway, I just did a fresh Windows install with my 2400G again... my earlier attempts at trying to get the 3600X to run stable completely destroyed my Windows install. I have backup images but I'll start with a fresh install and see what happens.
AsRx470Tc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AsRx470Tc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Max9R Max9R wrote:

I can boot at 3200 CL14 etc... it's just super unstable. I haven't tried leaving XMP off, just seemed like a ridiculous step to have to take, but I'm going to try it and see what happens. Clearly based on everything I've seen this is a RAM related issue.

Anyway, I just did a fresh Windows install with my 2400G again... my earlier attempts at trying to get the 3600X to run stable completely destroyed my Windows install. I have backup images but I'll start with a fresh install and see what happens.

I have ran my settings in the pic for 3-4 days doing cinebench (R15 & R20) runs over and over again and going to bios to do some changes and again cinebench repeatedly :D
No 3D loads yet..

Tho i have my test SSD install on... 1803 WIN10, maybe.. and my nvidia drivers are super old, version 397.64. Dont't play current games much so only update when there are some major security holes to plug.
Max9R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max9R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 6:38am
Originally posted by AsRx470Tc AsRx470Tc wrote:

I have ran my settings in the pic for 3-4 days doing cinebench (R15 & R20) runs over and over again and going to bios to do some changes and again cinebench repeatedly :D
No 3D loads yet..

Tho i have my test SSD install on... 1803 WIN10, maybe.. and my nvidia drivers are super old, version 397.64. Dont't play current games much so only update when there are some major security holes to plug.

Okay so yeah, running with XMP off seems to have done the trick. They clearly need a BIOS update with improved RAM support (sound familiar hehe...). I may try plugging in your settings and see what happens. My 3900X arrives today, a day early yay! Now that I seem to have some stability I may give it a run in this board too, before my X570 Gigabyte arrives.

Now if only I could get my MSI B450 Tomahawk to post with this chip...
Jakob84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakob84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm
On my x470 taichi bios i can only choose gen 1 or 2 pcie express speed. Rly odd. Anyone else has that problem?

Rly make my crossfire rly yikes, severly bottlenecked running it on gen 1 or 2. pretty useless acually so forced to run with 1 card.
mmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 4:43pm
Have you tried the temp fix from overclock.net on page 2?

Also with soc voltage increase of +.05 and Infinity Fabric VDDG of 1.125 I can run at 3133/1566IF without WHEA BSOD, but still not XMP and above.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-536.html

Max9R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max9R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 2:06am
Originally posted by mmf mmf wrote:

Have you tried the temp fix from overclock.net on page 2?

Also with soc voltage increase of +.05 and Infinity Fabric VDDG of 1.125 I can run at 3133/1566IF without WHEA BSOD, but still not XMP and above.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-536.html

I haven't tried that. But I have successfully implemented the timings suggested by AsRx470Tc and seem to have a stable system at the moment. Hopefully we get a new BIOS soon that sorts this stuff out.
AsRx470Tc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AsRx470Tc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:06am
My board had an interesting flip last last night.. Plugged a front panel USB 2.0 cable to the internal header, and a logitech mouse receiver into the other end. Whole board just flipped on me, went into a boot loop, every time like 20sec just fans shouting at full speed, then it did some memory training i guess, then repeat for 3 times, every time that super long time with no post codes and just fans shouting. Then it resetted the memory to 2400 and memory timings menu item was grayed out...

Couple times applied my saved bios profile and rebooted, and the same thing repeated (fans shouting long time, multiple reboots). Three times applied the settings again, and after that it just rebooted and stayed "on" with fans spinning super slow, no post codes, it just hanged there, forever.. no reaction to power button or reset button. Had to kill it from the power supply back switch. That continued for a 45min or something.

Tried to remove ALL M.2 and sata drives, USB cables and memory sticks and even my graphics card.. no change. It just hummed slowly with no life. Almost throwed it into the wall and ripped all my (wery short) hairs out of my head.

Went away for an hour and then went back to it, all i did different is i pressed the power button like 3-5 seconds (even after fans started spinning) and then it magically jumped to life and started giving me post codes.. After that i plugged all my stuff back and applied my bios profile (with 3200 memory) and it has not been acting since..

Like... WTAF!! :D
AsRx470Tc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AsRx470Tc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:10am
Oh yeah, i even changed my power supply at some point, no effect :D And they both are seasonic units.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic