ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - System hanging/fre in Linux during work or gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

System hanging/fre in Linux during work or gaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aefoundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: System hanging/fre in Linux during work or gaming
    Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 3:48am
In April I built a new PC using the b450 gaming itx/ac mobo. Linux (ubuntu) started to have hanging/freezing issues during 3d work that I do or gaming. I thought it was my gpu and have gone through two amd and two nvidia cards just to make sure it wasn't the gpu. CPU runs fine and I have done Ram checks with no errors. So the last thing I could think of was the mobo and maybe a setting in the bios.

Has anyone come across this issue? Or something similar?
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 4:48am
We'll need more info on the entire build.

We'll need more specifics on the tasks being ran, OS version, kernel build/patches/etc.

You can also check dmesg and monitor the temps/voltages to see if there is a correlation to the crashes.
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:14am
Find "Global C States" in the BIOS and disable them, see if that doesn't help.
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:16am
forgot to add, when it hangs, is it a hard hang where nothing at all is responsive and you have to reset the computer? or can you ping, move mouse, anything? The hang I used to get would even freeze the Dr Debug display on the mobo, disabling the global C states thing fixed it.

Aefoundry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aefoundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 1:23pm
Thanks guys for the replies as far as the build goes.

CPU - ryzen 7 2700
Gpu - Nvidia gtx 1070
Ram - 32 gb
Mobo - b450 itx/ac

Distro I am using is ubuntu studio 19.04
Kernel 5.0

As far as the hangs I will get a hard hang everyone once in a while throughout the day but most of it is my software using (blender) will hang but my other apps in the background run okay. It takes any where from 5 - 10 hangs will cause a hard hang to come out.

And what I use the computer for is content creation. 3d modeling, digital sculpting, video editing. I only installed games to test and make sure if it was the gpu or not. But I get hangs in games too.

I hope that answers all your questions. Thank you again for replying and trying to help me out with this.
Aefoundry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aefoundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 2:32pm
so I did disable the global C states and the hangs are still happening tested it in a game and in 3d software, almost thought it was fixed because in the game I was able to play 1 match with out hang, it was better but not solved.
Aefoundry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aefoundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:48pm
So it might be an incompatibility issue if not a driver issue with the mobo, I said F this I'm going to reinstall windows and run test.

After updating the bios to 3.30 it resent the c state setting and it did hang on my first test. I turned it off ran the same test and seems to be fine now. Sucks that I had to go back to windows to do this but I really just need to computer running normal again.

Really enjoyed Linux and hopefully one day I can switch back over completely.

I'll report in more once I have thoroughly tested the new update and settings if any hangs happen again.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:11pm
It's sad that you quit Linux that quickly, without even running a dmesg command.

Linux has vastly superior troublshooting and tinkering capabilities compared to Win. With enough googling one can solve the craziest of issues.

It's also true that non-enterprise distros have hiccups with the latest, cutting-edge, non-enterprise HW. This usually gets fixed in time.

P.S. You can always dual-boot.
Aefoundry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aefoundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:19pm
Yea I know Linux is much superior, but since this machine is my main work machine I needed to get it working asap or then its costing me time and money. I loved delving and learning more about Linux. But I will be definitely going back at some point. Maybe when 19.10 is released ill jump back over and by a second drive to dual boot and fully dedicate to Linux. Trust me I loved it didn't give it up because I didn't like it. I just didn't have time to continue fiddling and learning to stabilize my build to were I needed it for work.
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:52am
If you get a chance to try linux again, another tweak would be to add to the kernel boot command line: idle=nomwait processor.max_cstate=1

The simple way to do it is to edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and include the above two options on the linuxefi line.

My machine is a work machine as well, so I'm not entirely sure whether both incantations are needed; I'm not about to fool with it since I'm 100% stable now for days at a time. (Haven't gone longer since I end up rebooting for other reasons.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic