ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update BIOS Taichi x470

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butchboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update BIOS Taichi x470
    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 2:59am
I am coming from an Intel build to AMD and am assuming I will need to update the Taichi x470 bios for my Ryzen Gen 3 CPU. I plan on grabbing from eBay, an Athlon 200G or A6-9500 so I can initially boot the board. I am waiting for my board to arrive. Here are the steps I plan on taking, though I am not sure if they are correct.

1) Download the BIOS v2.0 and the latest version onto a USB drive. 2) Using the old cpu, boot into windows and update the "AMD all in 1 with vga driver". 3) Reboot into UEFI and update BIOS to V2.0 if the current version is earlier. 4) Reboot into UEFI again and update BIOS to latest version.

Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?   Thanks
dgtlntt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgtlntt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:40am
Hi pipl!

I am in similar situation and my x470 taichi came today.
I got A6 9500 for initial bios update but have a problem

I haven't eaven installed windows and went on by updating to bios 2.00. it went smoothly.
After that i tryed updating to 3.43 but bios cannot see those files on USB stick. I have tried putting all bios files on usb and instant flash only sees 2.00

Why can't I update bios further?

Please help... :(

I think i need newer cpu to update beyond 2.00, I'll try with some other chip tomorow and keep you posted

For now don't try bios updates on A6-9500
Eugeny44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eugeny44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:50pm
I would not hold my breath, I have updated bios but asrock x470 itx is not working with 3000 ryzens.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:20pm
give 3.46 a try
dgtlntt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgtlntt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:01pm
It is done!

i managed to come by a R3 2200G and with it installed all bioses showed up and 3.43 installed without a hitch.

after that i popped in my R5 3600X and after a few cicles it started normaly and i am now installing drivers in windows as i am typing this in separate window.

you don't need all that driver install nonsense from AsRock Bios page if you are doing a clean install anyway, that is only needed if you are upgrading CPU only on already existing system. But if you are upgrading it is better to start from scratch anyway.

so for anybody that went with taichi X470 for their Ryzen 3000 build the conclusion is this:

YOU NEED RYZEN CPU to update to latest BIOS! AT LEAST "R3 1200"! older CPUs are losing compatibility.
The board wont let you select a bios version if currently installed CPU is not in newer version compatibility list. (kinda nice trick actually)

That is all :)

butchboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butchboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:44pm
I'm curious to know when you received your board and what BIOS version it came with. I am due to receive my board tomorrow. I am hoping to win the BIOS lottery and have v3.43 already installed.
dgtlntt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgtlntt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by butchboy butchboy wrote:

I'm curious to know when you received your board and what BIOS version it came with. I am due to receive my board tomorrow. I am hoping to win the BIOS lottery and have v3.43 already installed.

I had no such luck
Board came in yesterday
it has a small sticker over a bios chip saying 1.10 and so was the bios version
As i live in Eastern Europe i expected as much
butchboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butchboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 4:50am
Oh so close! Just received my board from Newegg with version 3.20 on it. Have a Athlon 200GE on the way. Hopefully, by the time I put this together V3.46 will be available.
butchboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butchboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 10:43am
Finally got all my hardware. Using a Athlon 200GE, I had no problems updating the bios to 3.43 and it booted right up. Haven't tested the stability or dimm speed yet, but so far so good.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 11:12am
keep us updated i'm waiting for 3950X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic