ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570 Taichi - all the issues I've had thus far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:27am
Do you know if LEDs are on by default, and is there any way to disable them from the firmware? I'm planning to get X570 Taihci, but I'm going to be using it on Linux, so I need to be sure that LEDs can be turned off without requiring to use Windows only tools.
mrgadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

Do you know if LEDs are on by default, and is there any way to disable them from the firmware? I'm planning to get X570 Taihci, but I'm going to be using it on Linux, so I need to be sure that LEDs can be turned off without requiring to use Windows only tools.
RGBs are on by default, under 'Tool' menu you have an option called 'RGB LED' and you can configure effect or toggle it completely 'Off'.

Here is how menu looks, direct link:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-x570-taichi/images/bios_61-copy.jpg , if that doesn't work, here is link to the article page from which screenshot is taken: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-x570-taichi/5.html

There was also a setting for "Turn On LED in S5" so you can disable that as well, it is on by default.

Cecil_Montgomery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cecil_Montgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by mrgadget mrgadget wrote:

Just regarding the fan, I had similar experience and first POST gave me buyer's remorse for a while.

After playing with the settings and trying out different stuff, the easiest solution is to install ASRock Atuning.

With this you can easily configure fan curves, you can test fan speeds etc. What I have noticed is that temps for chipset are around 59 - 62 celcius, regardless if fan spins 2500, 3000 or 6000 rpm.

So I have set SB_Fan so that until 63C it is 25% and 65C 30%, these are basically silent and temps won't exceed at least for me higher.

If you have much higher temps you need to plan airflow better.

On a final note, X570 is either on or off, so it doesn't undervolt on light use. So the temps what you'll see idling in BIOS are your regular temps. Try to be around 60 celcius mark.

I set the Chipset fan to "Quiet" in the Bios. This has it sitting at about 2500rpm at about 57c (+/- 2c). You are right in that it's not too bad at this volume, and as soon as I put some load into the system or some noise in the room, it is inaudible. Unfortunately, with 6 ML120 maglev Corsair fans in the case running at 1000rpm when not under load, it's still the loudest thing in the room when the PC's at Idle. In the grand scheme of things, if this was the only issue with my board, I'd be fine with it.

Tech City (YouTube) did analysis on VRM overheating and as a one solution he moved GPU to lower slot.

OP, manual says every PCI-E slot is x16 so try moving to middle slot, this fixes your usb-c header problem.

U recommend this, interesting video and MB is x570 taichi, he also has reviewed on another video:

https://youtu.be/D5l1MUMHXt0

The manual states the following:

3 x PCI Express 4.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3/PCIE5: single
at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3); triple at x8
(PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3) / x4 (PCIE5))

This implies that only the top slot is wired for 16, as it specifies that when only one slot is in use, the slot that runs at 16x is slot 1. Middle slot is likely only wired for x8. Given that I've run this GPU on a PCIE gen2 mainboard with no loss in GPU intensive benchmarks, I'd say it could run in a x16 slot that's only wired for x8 just fine. But my next GPU may not be so kind. Yes, the easy solution is to unplug the header and that's likely what i'll do in the long run, but it's kind of like buying a car where the electric windows won't operate if you have something plugged into the lighter socket. It's not a deal breaker, but for those people who want to use both those features at once, it'll get SUPER annoying, SUPER quickly... and smacks of poorly thought out design, because it's not something you should have to implement a workaround for...

Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

lights can be controlled in the BIOS and in windows software. can be set to all off. board actually still looks very good with the lights off, I have mine set to a static white, which is actually more of a blue-white. It looks good and is inoffensive.

In light of the ongoing BIOS issues related to AMD, I'm probably going to stick to the plan from my last post, and await a level of BIOS maturity i (somewhat naively, perhaps) would have expected this line of boards to have hit the market with. In that time i'll wait and see what else happens in the world of enthusiast computing!
mrgadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Cecil_Montgomery Cecil_Montgomery wrote:

I set the Chipset fan to "Quiet" in the Bios. This has it sitting at about 2500rpm at about 57c (+/- 2c). You are right in that it's not too bad at this volume, and as soon as I put some load into the system or some noise in the room, it is inaudible. Unfortunately, with 6 ML120 maglev Corsair fans in the case running at 1000rpm when not under load, it's still the loudest thing in the room when the PC's at Idle. In the grand scheme of things, if this was the only issue with my board, I'd be fine with it.

Yeah try playing around with different RPM settings and maybe you'll find a good balance :) Maybe it can manage ~60C with ~2000rpm.

This implies that only the top slot is wired for 16, as it specifies that when only one slot is in use, the slot that runs at 16x is slot 1.

It does say three times PCI-E 4.0 x16 slots and lists the available slots. I agree the latter part is a bit confusing, but I think it tells user that when you want two GPUs, use slots 1 and 3, not 3 and 5.

I think you need to test, mode can be easily seen/confirmed if that is x16 or x8.

Yes, the easy solution is to unplug the header and that's likely what i'll do in the long run, but it's kind of like buying a car where the electric windows won't operate if you have something plugged into the lighter socket. It's not a deal breaker, but for those people who want to use both those features at once, it'll get SUPER annoying, SUPER quickly... and smacks of poorly thought out design, because it's not something you should have to implement a workaround for...

I agree and I could easily be in the same position as you are now, I also like high-end graphics card and I was almost buying a new chassis with usb-c but in the end decided to use my old.

In light of the ongoing BIOS issues related to AMD, I'm probably going to stick to the plan from my last post, and await a level of BIOS maturity i (somewhat naively, perhaps) would have expected this line of boards to have hit the market with. In that time i'll wait and see what else happens in the world of enthusiast computing!

Yes though after closely following x350/b450/other older boards, I would say x570 users are in good position, and yes we should be as we purchased the latest and greatest, but there are dozens of users who can't even get their system to POST with 3000 series CPU on it.
Cecil_Montgomery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cecil_Montgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 6:50pm

This implies that only the top slot is wired for 16, as it specifies that when only one slot is in use, the slot that runs at 16x is slot 1.

It does say three times PCI-E 4.0 x16 slots and lists the available slots. I agree the latter part is a bit confusing, but I think it tells user that when you want two GPUs, use slots 1 and 3, not 3 and 5.

I think you need to test, mode can be easily seen/confirmed if that is x16 or x8.

You're right. I did need to test. So I pulled out the you riser, and shone a flashlight into the slot. Can confirm PCIE3 is a x16 physical slot, only wired up to the x8 connector. There the silver contacts stop, and it's black plastic from there back. So a hard no on any slot other than the top being x16.

As for the rest of it, I'll keep tweaking and tinkering, and learning from others' experiences with this board, chip, and chipset.

It'll be interesting to see it unfold.
Disturbed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disturbed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 8:17pm
So only the top is x16 but the manual says all 3 are? Wtf is that about. My card won't fit in top either because of the same reason.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 10:25pm
PCIe 3.0 x8 is still more than enough for modern GPUs, you shouldn't have any issues running at x8, I have not seen any performance drops using any of the GPUs I have tested in x8 slots. Dropping to an x4 slot may cost you 5-10fps on a high end GPU in some games but even there, generally your performance will remain unchanged. Moreover, if you game at higher resolutions than 1080p the GPU will become a bottleneck LONG before you eat up your PCIe bandwidth, even on an x4 slot. This becomes an even more moot point if you are able to utilize PCIe 4.0 which effectively doubles PCIe 3.0 bandwidth. At present I believe only AMD's new 5700 series GPUs support PCIe 4.0 however.

This is a little understood area for a lot of people, I hope this helps to clarify.
mrgadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

PCIe 3.0 x8 is still more than enough for modern GPUs, you shouldn't have any issues running at x8, I have not seen any performance drops using any of the GPUs I have tested in x8 slots. Dropping to an x4 slot may cost you 5-10fps on a high end GPU in some games but even there, generally your performance will remain unchanged. Moreover, if you game at higher resolutions than 1080p the GPU will become a bottleneck LONG before you eat up your PCIe bandwidth, even on an x4 slot. This becomes an even more moot point if you are able to utilize PCIe 4.0 which effectively doubles PCIe 3.0 bandwidth. At present I believe only AMD's new 5700 series GPUs support PCIe 4.0 however.

This is a little understood area for a lot of people, I hope this helps to clarify.
Yeah Gamers Nexus did a test and dual (SLI) Titan V's were just approaching x8 capacity.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 7:15am

RGBs are on by default, under 'Tool' menu you have an option called 'RGB LED' and you can configure effect or toggle it completely 'Off'.

Good to know thanks!
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 7:16am
So what's the current situation with chipset fan noise with X570 Taichi? Is quite profile helping with it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic