ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Updates, Urgent note, Please read.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptitgnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by ptitgnu ptitgnu wrote:

Originally posted by 185ec11 185ec11 wrote:

Hi everyone! My first post here.

I had purchased Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G and Asrock B450 Fatal1ty itx AC motherboard in October 2020.

It came with P4.1 BIOS, which failed to boot with the CPU. Now, BIOS 4.20 has come out. How shall I get my BIOS updated£ I do not have any spare AM4 cpu lying around, and the online seller I purchased from, shall charge me INR 250 plus to and fro shipping charges, which would be my last resort. Can you provide me any alternatives£ I am cash strapped currently, so I cant purchase another cpu, and I have asked my local computer shops: they can't update my BIOS since they do not have AMD cpu as spare (or even retail!).

Please reply urgently, I am in Patna, Bihar, India- 800005.

Hi 185ec11,

I have tried with the same motherboard (Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac).

Have flashed BIOS/UEFI to the 4.20 (with an old spare cpu) and the Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G is now recognized

BUT :
- 2 USB3 ports on the motherboard doesn't work anymore ("overload" OS said)
- M.2 NVMe SSD disappears from time to time (need a reset to be detected again)

I tried to put back an Ryzen 3 2200G and the USB3 & NVMe problems issues are gone.
I think it's only an AGESA problem but it's NOT usable for the moment.

All other motherboard manufacturers have updated their BIOS for B450 based motherboards to AGESA V2 PI 1.2.x.x excepted ASRock.

So, we have to wait for ASRock to release the BIOS update with the new AGESA V2 PI 1.2.x.x for B450s...

Meanwhile, the motherboard is not usable. Mine is waiting for his BIOS on a shelf

Take care

New version 4.40 is out ! with AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.0

I'll test that with a Ryzen 4xxx asap
Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 6:38pm
Asrock release BIOS version 5.00 for B450M Pro4 Motherboard. Is it recommended for my Ryzen 3 2200G (Raven Ridge). With previous versions like 4.90 I used to had problems with randomly restarts. I fixed this problem by downgrade BIOS to 3.50 version.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:14pm
Never update your BIOS if your system is working properly. There is almost never
any benefit and there is always risk that it makes things worse. This risk gets
greater the older your CPU is in relation to the latest generation. AMD creates
the AGESA code, they are a business and at the end of the day, they would not
release BIOS updates that make older silicon competitive with newer hardware, even
if it were capable (it isn't). That would be very poor business sense.

I am sorry if this comes off a bit short, I have said this so many times on these
and other forums. If your system is stable, operating as it should and not giving
you serious issues, leave your BIOS alone.

There are people who like to update and test every new revision but these people
tend to know what they are doing, are aware of the risks and are willing to spend
money replacing things if it goes wrong. For the average user, in 99% of cases
there is no reason to even look at the BIOS download page.

spacednow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:16am
Ok. Guess I wont update my Bios. But still there are websites that have shown major speed increases with AMD AGESA version that comes with the bios update. Still I purchased a Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 and it came with 3.50 bios I am running Windows 7 with a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is a Pinnacle Ridge CPU. The bios page says

and the CPU support page says

So what to do. Its running on the 3.50, but I would like the speed increase from the newer AMD AGESA version. It says the bios can't be changed back to a lower version...but I've done it before on non UEFI boards (also ASRock) that said you couldn't install a previous version by only changing the file name of the bios to a later version and it worked.

I know what it says, but can this board be reverted to a previous version if an update mucks it up£
I've messaged tech support twice, and didn't even get the automated email confirming it was received.   
The more you learn the less you know.
spacednow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:43am
Just an update of Bios info from my last post. Decided to try 3.90 for my Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 board. Still have the beef about not recommended for the Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU warning in the bios downloads and listing the Pinnacle 1600AF in the supported list as since bios 3.90 - It was working for me shipped with the 3.50 bios. I'm not worried about 4.10 because that's a mem and fan control update (and other posters here are reporting problems), and the 4.20 bios Agesa Combo is specifically for gen 3 ryzen. I am using b-die mem that run at 3200 like they are supposed to. With the 3.90 bios everything is working better. With 3.50 the processor didn't boost correctly - it stayed at whatever you had set as min processor speed in power management (win7x64). Now it goes to from min to 3600 with no OC parameters set.(like it's supposed to)

Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
G.SKILL Flare X 16G Mem kit
Ryzen 1600AF
Radeon RX 550 4GB
970 EVO Plus NVME
The more you learn the less you know.
ECC_4_Ryzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ECC_4_Ryzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 7:55pm
Speaking of BIOS update-related questions... I'm hoping ASRock can answer these, which they haven't via email or forum yet. I doubt waiting on phone support will yield more info:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp£TID=17286
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp£TID=17342
Dinzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dinzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 9:14am
There is a reason for many users to be looking to update BIOSes for AMD systems, Resizable BAR /SAM.

I keep checking every couple of days because while I can update to 3.60 for my x570 Steel Legend, I am afraid that this might make my USB things worse since it does not include the USB fix.

It's kind of jarring to have the warning pop up that says don't update if your system is behaving normal when there is also a significant feature update in the latest BIOS. At least my GPU is ready.    

ASROCK released some 1.2.0.1 Patch A updates last week so I am expecting them to roll out soon for my board.
DSD27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSD27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:02am
I've noticed that the most recent BIOS (4.80) doesn't have the yellow warning, saying not recommended for Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge. Does this mean that the update is meant for all£ Is it fine for 2600X£
DSD27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSD27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 1:05pm
I've updated it, and it was a good thing. I was having game crashes on default settings and XMP wouldn't boot. Everything got fixed.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 6:23pm
Thanks for the feedback DSD27, what board are you using?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic