ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote equake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 1:25am
I am having problems doing a clean install of Windows 10 Fall Creator Update on a empty 2nd SATA drive using the Z370 Taichi board with bootable Win 10 on SATA1 and Win 10 on 960 EVO NVMe.    

This is the error I get "windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation windows 10" during phase copying windows (0%)

Any help will be appreciated?

E
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by equake equake wrote:

I am having problems doing a clean install of Windows 10 Fall Creator Update on a empty 2nd SATA drive using the Z370 Taichi board with bootable Win 10 on SATA1 and Win 10 on 960 EVO NVMe.    

This is the error I get "windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation windows 10" during phase copying windows (0%)

Any help will be appreciated?

E

Still having problems with this? I've never encountered that error message when installing Windows. The message does not make sense, since the PC does not boot/reboot during the file copying phase of the installation.

How is installing Windows on a SATA drive (unknown drive) related to installing Windows on a PCIe SSD, the purpose of this thread?

So little information given, all I can do is ask questions.

Using an ISO download of Win 20 Fall CU? What installation media are you using and how did you create it?

Is the second SATA drive connected to an Intel SATA port, and not an ASMedia SATA port?

Is that SATA drive on an Intel SATA port that is NOT shared with the M.2 slot used by the 960 EVO?

Do you have the other two Win 10 installation drives running in the PC while you try to install Windows on the mystery drive? You risk having the system/boot partition for the mystery drive installation being put on one of the other drives. A typical thing the Windows installer will do.

vik_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 4:31pm
I have problem with ASRock z370 Extreme4 and Patriot Hellfire M.2 SSD.

Settings:
- UEFI is up to date (1.30)
- CSM - disabled (CSM enabled also don't works)
- All SATA devices - unplugged
- Storage Configuration screen, the SATA Mode be set to AHCI (default)

Problems:
Windows 10 don't see SSD in "Storage" list.
Windows 10 installer (USB - UEFI) don't see SSD
Windows 8.1 installer (USB - UEFI) don't see SSD

Also, after M.2 is installed - PC freeze on start "ASRock" logo screen (about 3-5 minutes, then continue works). After M.2 is unplugged - no freezes.

Any thoughts?
Plz help.

Also, here is a similar problem , but also there is no answer.

Edited by vik_m - 18 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm
Gradius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gradius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:51am
Quick question. I have the ASRock Z77 PRO4 1155 ATX Motherboard. Is it compatible with the Samsung 960 pro SSD? Or do I have to buy an add-on adapter just to plug it into the PCIE port?
trungdung1122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trungdung1122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:05am
Hello , can you help me , i did follow your instruction , but it doesnt work . When i install win 10 , my ssd nvme adata sx8000 128gb is not regconized on the installation step . My mainboard z370 pro4
td
mchad65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchad65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:44pm
Since this thread is 3 years old, and 23 pages long, is there a link to an updated guide for the newer MB's such as my z370 Taichi and Win10 install on a NVMe drive?
zttk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zttk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:44am
Hi,

I noted there is a new beta bios for Z77 Extreme4 motherboards, namely 2.90P.
http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/index.hu.asp#BIOS

Previously I had a two week long fight to make my PCI-E NVME SSD to boot from which even I managed to install win10 on it in UEFI mode, but when after restart did not work as bootable source (you can see my previous posts in this thread).

Since then I use the drive as a data drive only.

Can you please let me know what was updated in the beta bios from 2.90M to 2.90P? Any new/improved support for NVME SSDs? Is there a chance that my drive would work as boot disk with the new bios?

Many Thanks,
Tamás
Archaedus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archaedus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:54am
Good evening,

I'm putting together a new PC using the following items: 

ASRock Fatality B350 Gaming K4
Ryzen 5 2400g
Windows 10 64 bit
Eluktronics 500GB-PRO-X NvME 1.3 SSD 

I followed the instructions provided from the first post of this discussion three years ago.

Everything was going swimmingly when I booted to a USB with the most recent Windows 10 Home 64 bit ISO. My storage was recognized immediately. After the installation finished, however, I was unable to boot to Windows. There wasn't an option for Windows in the UEFI 'Boot Options,' nor, in fact, was my device detected when I tried to reinstall Windows again (to see if that would fix the problem. 

The company does not provide drivers on their website, so I'm unable to load them during the Windows install to see if that will allow Windows to see the storage. My BIOS is up to date and this was a fresh installation of Windows. 

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this issue? Thanks!

*Update*

I disabled CSM and was able to see my partition when attempting to reinstall Windows; however, I remain unable to boot to Windows. 

*Update II* 

I attempted to "Continue To Windows" from the boot drive and now I am unable to see my drive in the Window Installation Process once again.
Archaedus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archaedus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:34am
I simply wanted to add a few modifiers so they aren't brought up in a future response: this is my only storage device and I'm not occupying any SATA with other components. 

cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 3:39am
¿Toshiba RC100 NVMe SSD is compatible with Z97E-ITX/ac ?

I have installed Toshiba RC100 NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD) on M.2 socket of the mobo.
The bios does not detect the SSD. But Windows 10 installer detect the SSD without problems.
I use the latest bios 2.20.

I have installed windows 10 on the SSD but when I turn on the computer I do not see the boot option and therefore I can not start windows. Windows never gets started because the boot option does not exist inside the bios. If I pulse F11 for boot options I do not see the boot sector of SSD M.2 available.

What is happening? Is it a Toshiba SSD problem? Should I try another SSD brand? Transcend MTS420 will work?

Supposedly my motherboard and BIOS are compatible with M.2 and NVMe.
I have disconnected all normal hard drives of the SATA data ports. Right now I only have the SSD in the M.2 socket and the problem persists.

Should I apply some special configuration in the bios so that the m.2 boot option is available?

Thank you!

Edited by cronos - 13 Aug 2018 at 3:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 28>
  Share Topic