ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SparkFast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:23am
Will either of these two methods work for the ASRock Extreme9? I have been desperately trying to install windows 10 onto my shiny new Intel 750 Series SSD, but at the first re-boot during the install, the PC boots to the UEFI USB Windows Installation Media and loads up the initial "do you want to install windows" screen all over again.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 8:32am
What PCIe SSD were you trying to install Windows 7 on?

If it is an NVMe SSD, such as the 950 Pro, Intel 750 or its cousins, or the NVMe version of the SM951, the problem is Win 7 does not have a native NVMe driver.

The error message about "CD/DVD drive..." is a Windows 7 generic error message, most likely related to the missing NVMe driver.

That you were able to install Windows 10 fine hints that you have an NVMe SSD, but we don't really know. Win 8.1 and 10 have a built in generic NVMe driver.

The (IMO poorly done) free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7, etc, must be done from an existing Win 7, etc, installation. Installing any copy of Win 10 from scratch will request a key, since it was not the free upgrade installation. Only a Win 10 key will work in that case.

Depending upon the PCIe SSD you have, you may be able to find the NVMe driver you can install during the Win 7 installation. That driver has been extracted from the NVMe driver installation program that is normally run in Windows, that is provided by the SSD manufacture.

I can't recall if Win 7 has a hotfix update for NVMe SSDs, since I don't use Win 7. It might exist but I forget the details.

If we knew which PCIe SSD you have, we could possibly help getting Win 7 to install on it.
Masterofnet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masterofnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 6:39pm
Is the Fatal1ty X99M Killer  motherboard compatible with NVMe SSDs as boot disks?  A 750 pro to be exact.
Does the Fatal1ty X99M Killer /3.1 have a better compatibility or is it just the 3.1 USB ports?

BTW  -  If you upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 you can clean install windows 10.  However you must upgrade your windows 7 to 10 first.

Then you can clean install windows 10.  When it asks for the product key just click ( skip this )
windows 10 will install and activate. 

Both of my computers are clean installs of windows 10 both first upgraded from 7.

Edited by Masterofnet - 07 Dec 2015 at 6:41pm
SonOfMore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonOfMore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 6:17pm
Thank you for the reply parsec. After all the hassle of trying to install Windows 7 on my Samsung 950 drive, I just ended up going on ebay and buying Windows 8, installed it without a hitch, activated and then upgrade to Windows 10. It is resolved now! Thank you!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:35pm
Windows 7 won't cooperate even with PCIe AHCI SSDs, depending upon how it is done. The EFI bootloader file is in the wrong folder. Yes that seems crazy but when I found that information and did the fix, it worked Ok. It's should be easy be it isn't, I've had success and failures for some reason.

Regardless, glad you got it working! Thumbs Up
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by SparkFast SparkFast wrote:

Will either of these two methods work for the ASRock Extreme9? I have been desperately trying to install windows 10 onto my shiny new Intel 750 Series SSD, but at the first re-boot during the install, the PC boots to the UEFI USB Windows Installation Media and loads up the initial "do you want to install windows" screen all over again.

Yes either of the methods should work with an Intel 750 and Windows 10. I know of 750 owners that use them as OS drives. I just got a 750, but it is in my Z170 board PC now that uses a 950 Pro. I'll likely do a Win 10 installation on it anyway.

Are you talking about a Z97 Extreme9? If so, you'll need at least UEFI/BIOS version 1.60, and probably best to use 1.90.
edesi56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edesi56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 5:14am
Parsec, your help and advice would be appreciated - I'm stumped - I've submitted a request to Tech Support through UEFI but have had no response from them.
I have a Z170 OC Formula on which I cannot get Windows 10 to install on a RAID0 array using Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME drives.  Drives are in M2_1 and M2_2.  UEFI BIOS will recognize a single 950 Pro when both are installed, and seems willing to install Windows on it, but once I build both drives into a RAID0 array I hit a dead end.  I am able to build the array in the Intel Raid utility built into the UEFI: it can recognize both drives, it tells me the array is present and lists it as bootable, but once I go to the boot section of the UEFI I am not offered anything as a boot drive other than my DVD-ROM device.  As an aside, I had to wait several weeks to get my hands on the 950 Pro M.2 drives, so I had originally built the system on a pair of RAID 0 SanDisk 480GB SSDs plugged into Sata 3_4 and Sata 3_5.  I had no trouble building this array in the Intel UEFI and having it appear normally as a RAID_0 boot option in the boot screen.
Back to the original troubleshooting process I have been through:  I followed your instructions and created the RAID array, then booted W10 install from UEFI_USB, tried to load the F4Floppy drivers for Intel RAID and after a long delay am told I have no device on which to install the OS.  Just for giggles, I tried the process using a regular (non UEFI) USB boot, and got a little further, in which the F4 drivers load faster but then I am told i have no BOOTABLE device on which to load the OS.
So, I'm stumped.  Do you have any suggestions, or could this be an issue in which the Intel Raid firmware is not yet supporting NVME RAID?  I did find a thread in which a user of a Z170 extreme-7 seemed to be having the same issue until he installed BIOS 2.1, which also updated his Intel Management Engine Firmware.  I am currently on the latest release BIOS for Z170 OC FOrmula (1.90) but this BIOS did not update the IME Firmware to the same version (.80) that was referred to in the forum post i am referring to (I'm still on .66).  
Thanks and sorry if I am rambling in trying to provide as much background as possible.  You seem to have a fairly deep understanding of this cutting edge tech - any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 5:26am
this video may help..

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/samsung_950_pro_256gb_raid_review,10.html
edesi56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edesi56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 1:48am
DooRules - Thanks for the quick response.   Have viewed video, which is great, and think I am doing everything right, most essentially using the very latest RAID floppy drivers from AsRock site.  Am currently on a business trip with only a laptop, will have another go at desktop as soon as I get home for the weekend and post results.  Have also received response from AsRock Tech Support advising essentially the same steps... Again, Thanks for the Help!
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 7:52am
Happy to help, hopefully you have it all sorted now.  Best of luck. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic