ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSuomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:19pm
I just got rid of my two R290s and replaced them with Vega 64.
I have had an Samsung 950 Pro as my boot disc for a while (on Z97 Fatal1ty Professional).

Now, it runs on 2*2 configuration (limitation of chipset/mobo).

So, my question is, should I get an PCIE-adapter for 950 Pro?
Like this (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=814&area=en)?

It drops my Vega 64 to 8x mode, right? I think that should be barely noticeable, but I would get an quite massive boost to 950 Pro performance?
George29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 2:02am
Hello
I have Z170 Extreme 6+, I install Win 10 on WD BLACK SN750 NVME SSD 500 GB and after installation of Win I plugged back my HDD and Windows does not see him, and there is no HDD listed in BIOS also, pls help.
George29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 4:31pm
I "fix" the "problem". I just need to plug HDD and SSD in SATA3_2 and SATA3_3.
kalim116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalim116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:03am
Anyone knows if i can install windows on a Dell ioDrive 2 ?
username2019 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote username2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 2:27am
I followed this guide to Modify my BIOS to boot off the NVMe:
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

Hi! Just confirming I was successful at Modding my BIOS to boot off my NVMe on the PCIe bus and successfully flashing and it works!   

MB: Asrock Z77 OC Formula
BIOS modded: 2.40 Beta
NVMe SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
PCIe x16 adapter: SIIG Full Speed M.2 NVMe SSD to PCIe Adapter with Heatsink
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Rufus Tool (which makes a bootable USB with window setup image on it)

Here's my modded BIOS, only added latest NVMe dxe (full version, not the smaller compressed version) in and did not remove anything out of the BIOS.
Here's my link to my post with mod BIOS attachment compressed zipped to my post at the Guide's site:
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS-311.html#msg81646
evagrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evagrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:39pm
I had been looking for the same for so long time. Glad you shared it. For any query related to recover Hacked Roadrunner Email Account you can visit the website http://www.emailhelpdesks.co/hacked-roadrunner-email-account/ and find best support.
smithclarkson01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithclarkson01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:07pm
First double check that your board allows booting from m2(it probably does).

To put it simply:

Have your windows installation media on a usb.(download from Microsoft if you don?™t have it)

Remove all drives from system.

Install just the new NVMe SSD.

Boot to windows install.

Install windows to NVMe ssd.

Once you reach desktop, power down.

Reinstall all drives.

Boot to bios.

Change boot priority to the NVMe drive.

Boot to desktop.

Remove old windows files. This can be a PITA. If you have issues with this step, google them. There?™s several ways to solve it.

Then you?™re set. I may have missed a minor detail, but this is the gist of it.
<a href="https://vlc.vin/">VLC.VIN</a>
dcwttaoo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcwttaoo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 10:23am
I'm planning to buy an ASUS Z87-PRO or an ASUS Z87-v. it's an old 1150 chipset with:
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode) *3
4 x PCIe 2.0 x1 *4

I want to use a PCIe ssd (500 to 1tb). what are my options if any? Are there any Raid options with this board?
barryallen1337 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barryallen1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 5:57pm
My first suggestion with any SSD - forget about RAID. It will create more headaches than it is worth - you also lose the TRIM function of the SSD with RAID.

The way I install on all SSDs - I remove all drives from the PC except the SDD (new OS drive) and optical drive. Boot from the Windows DVD (or you can use a USB stick), and install on the blank drive. After installation is complete - add back the other drives.

If you are using multiple SSDs, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc should all be separate volumes. If you setup the drive in RAID 0, and there is an error on any of the drives/SSDs - you lose absolutely everything on every drive.
chrcoluk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrcoluk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 3:33am
Thanks OP.

I was on the edge to replace my system SATA SSD with a nvme SSD. But I have a requirement that I need to be able to boot into MBR USB sticks, and also I believe windows once installed you cannot switch the oprom mode.

So sadly it seems to have a bootable NVME device its incompatible with my requirements, a, though it is is possible your instructions are only required for the windows installer and not for been able to boot an existing windows install that has been migrated to nvme. I decided to not chance it.

however I may buy a smaller NVME later in the year and do some testing with it to see exactly where things stand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>
  Share Topic