ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecrimsonchin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 5:03am
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

I meant that you might need the f6 variant of that driver to load at the windows screen where you pick the drive to install windows on.

Have the f6 irst driver on a usb stick,  and when at window where you would normally pick what drive to install windows on use the load driver tab and install the f6 driver

I'm following you, and I do have that variant of the driver. Problem is that I can't GET to that screen. I'm immediately presented with the "A required CD/DVD driver is missing" error when initializing the Windows installer. I can browse to the driver, and tell it to install, but nothing happens. 
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 5:15am
So you get to the point where you would pick an install drive?

You go to load driver and open usb stick with f6 driver?

At this point you cannot install f6 driver?  Is this where the sticking point is?
thecrimsonchin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecrimsonchin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 5:31am
I get stuck prior to that. I get to the Windows installer, select the language to use, click "Next", then click "Install Now". It processes for a bit, then I get a "Load Driver" window with the following message: "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now". 

I've seen this before, and usually it means the installation media (most likely when it's a USB) is in a USB 3.0 port, which Windows doesn't natively have drivers for. Unfortunately, that's not the case here as my installation media is plugged directly into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard. 

DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 5:34am
If trying a uefi install is the usb stick formatted to fat32?
thecrimsonchin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thecrimsonchin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:52pm
Yes, it is. Created using Rufus, the most recent version. The Windows version I'm trying to install is 7 Pro, but it's also an ISO for a volume copy of Windows (I'm doing this setup for work). Would that have any impact on the process?
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:58pm
I don't know if that would make a difference or not. I would tend to think the only difference would come when going to activate it, not so much for install.   I also used rufus to create my install media.

Maybe some more info here...

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3rvoop/samsung_950_pro_nvme_ssd_windows_7_64/

Edited by DooRules - 16 Dec 2015 at 9:06pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by thecrimsonchin8 thecrimsonchin8 wrote:

Yes, it is. Created using Rufus, the most recent version. The Windows version I'm trying to install is 7 Pro, but it's also an ISO for a volume copy of Windows (I'm doing this setup for work). Would that have any impact on the process?

All versions of Windows 7 do NOT have a built in NVMe driver. That of course is your problem.

The error message from the Win 7 installation program is asking for the NVMe driver, but the message is generic and includes the disk request. The NVMe driver should be on a USB flash drive, and is installed using the Custom Installation option.

The problem is the Samsung NVMe driver is contained within its own installation program, and is not normally available as an "F6" type driver. Intel's NVMe driver can be easily found in the F6 style, but cannot be used with the Samsung 950 Pro AFAIK.

I think a few people have extracted the Samsung NVMe driver files into an F6 style package. Try searching on "Samsung F6 NVMe driver", you may be able to find a copy. I don't have time to find it now, sorry... Embarrassed
Endlesspath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Endlesspath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 9:25am
Check this forum for links to  Samsung F6 NVMe driver for Windows 7 install:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3rvoop/samsung_950_pro_nvme_ssd_windows_7_64/
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 2:52pm
Intel's NVMe driver installation package for their 750 SSD and related Intel NVMe SSDs contains an F6 type driver set in a Windows folder.

This package also contains a Windows installer program that uses the same NMVe driver files.

Intel provides support for Windows 7 with their NVMe driver package, while Samsung so far has not.
JC-Logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-Logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 1:25am
For some strange reason, I chose to build a high end number cruncher with a PCIe M.2 SSD as the one and only storage device.  I found the instructions on how to set it up in this forum to be a lifesaver.  I would still be flailing away had I not read this.  Thanks to Parsec and others for taking the time to document the O/S install. 

The build is up and running.  i7-4790K, 512 Samsung M.2 PCIe SSD, Asrock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA NEC650G PSU, NVidia R8 390, W10...  All good and running like a well oiled machine.  Heck, I might do this again!!!

Thanks.
JC-Logger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>
  Share Topic