ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:01am
Final config:

X99M Killer, BIOS updated from 1.9 to 3.0 locally by programmer.
i7 6800K
NH-D9L
Plextor PX-512M8PeG M8P Series 2.5" 512GB PCIE NVME M.2 Radiator Gen3x4 Internal SSD, Red-in-Black

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL14 Quad-Channel DIMMs - Black (CMK32GX4M4A2400C14)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition 1594/1784 8GB GDDR5 

08G-P4-5173-KR

Crosair 100R Silent 

The early BIOS that came with the board was the 'killer' part of this whole build. It did not work with i7 6800K. I found a local person who prorgrammed my chip and it worked.
I followed the steps from post 1. It's very accurate except for a couple of notes.
You don't have to have your Win10 Serial Number when using USB stick from a previoulsy upgraded Win10 OS on the old computer. But, you do have to click on Custom Set up a couple of tries before the software seems to agree with you and keeps going on to the install.

Durnig the first configuration of the UEFI, my USB was listed in the BOOT #3 Option. I was worried because my M.2 was actually listed already in the BOOT#1. I was surprised to see it after reading the OP.  I also didn't find UEFI anywhere in the three BOOT order options as described on page 1 here. I ended up ignoring this and just saved and exited and then the restart took over and Windows installed in about 10 minutes or so. 

In the end I would have made sure all my parts had the correct BIOS and compatabilities with each other but I was taking my chances. So far so good. 

Thanks for the tips and suggestions along the way. 

Edited by Aristoc - 21 Nov 2016 at 4:03am
bluestick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluestick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 11:04pm
Z97 OC Formula with NVMe boot support - If anyone needs version 2.20 bios with NVMe support just let me know. Tested booting Win10 with Samsung SM961
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Aristoc Aristoc wrote:

Final config:

X99M Killer, BIOS updated from 1.9 to 3.0 locally by programmer.
i7 6800K
NH-D9L
Plextor PX-512M8PeG M8P Series 2.5" 512GB PCIE NVME M.2 Radiator Gen3x4 Internal SSD, Red-in-Black

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL14 Quad-Channel DIMMs - Black (CMK32GX4M4A2400C14)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition 1594/1784 8GB GDDR5 

08G-P4-5173-KR

Crosair 100R Silent 

The early BIOS that came with the board was the 'killer' part of this whole build. It did not work with i7 6800K. I found a local person who prorgrammed my chip and it worked.
I followed the steps from post 1. It's very accurate except for a couple of notes.
You don't have to have your Win10 Serial Number when using USB stick from a previoulsy upgraded Win10 OS on the old computer. But, you do have to click on Custom Set up a couple of tries before the software seems to agree with you and keeps going on to the install.

Durnig the first configuration of the UEFI, my USB was listed in the BOOT #3 Option. I was worried because my M.2 was actually listed already in the BOOT#1. I was surprised to see it after reading the OP.  I also didn't find UEFI anywhere in the three BOOT order options as described on page 1 here. I ended up ignoring this and just saved and exited and then the restart took over and Windows installed in about 10 minutes or so. 

In the end I would have made sure all my parts had the correct BIOS and compatabilities with each other but I was taking my chances. So far so good. 

Thanks for the tips and suggestions along the way.

Glad this guide helped you.

ASRock, or any manufacture's X99 mother boards that existed before Broadwell-E processors were available, require the use of a Haswell-E processor in the board to perform the UEFI/BIOS update, if they did not have the Broadwell-E compatible UEFI version from the factory. That is a limitation that Intel has not bee able to overcome since the previous X79 HEDT chipset boards.

Or as you were able to do, flash the UEFI chip in the board to the Broadwell-E compatible version, with a firmware flashing tool. Neither Intel nor the mother board manufactures enjoy advertising this situation, but it seems it's the mother board manufactures that suffer most of the grief from users about it. There is no other way around this limitation, the requirement of the Broadwell-E CPU microcode to be in the UEFI firmware before a Broadwell-E processor will work in an X99 board.

I'm not sure of the sequence of events, but the first time you configure the UEFI with either of the CSM setting options, you must Save and Exit the UEFI before those settings will be applied. Just like any change to the UEFI/BIOS settings, like an over clock of the CPU, memory, etc.

If you had gone right back into the UEFI again after the Save and Exit, you should have seen the "UEFI:" prefix entry for the USB flash drive in the boot order

When you did the Save and Exit and did not go into the UEFI, after configuring the CSM option,  the only entries you would have found would be for the USB flash drive. It also would be at the top of the boot order. So what you did works fine, but you simply did not see what the boot order looks like after the CSM option setting was applied.

You'll also see changes in the way the boot order is displayed, the OS drive will be shown as "Windows Boot Manager".
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:18am
Originally posted by bluestick bluestick wrote:

Z97 OC Formula with NVMe boot support - If anyone needs version 2.20 bios with NVMe support just let me know. Tested booting Win10 with Samsung SM961

No idea why the 2.20 UEFI version is no longer listed for the Z97 OC Formula. I don't have that board, did you notice any issues with 2.20? That might just be a mistake, that it is not included in the Download list.

I also see multiple UEFI updates for the Z97 Extreme6 board, that includes NVMe support. Not sure what that is about...
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 1:10am
Originally posted by wheelife wheelife wrote:

Scandisk 16gb
yes rear io usb 3.0
windows ISO created from \microsoft download website for media creation tool

Also tried with different USB, problem s the same

Did you use the Windows Creation Tool to create the USB flash drive?

If so, most users have problems when using the tool to create the USB flash drive, for use with an NVMe SSD installation.

I don't use that option to create the flash drive. I save the ISO file at the end of the Creation Tool process, and end the tool process.

Next you right click on the ISO file, and select Mount. You'll then see all the files and folders.

You then select all the ISO's files and folders, highlighted, and right click in the highlighted area. Find the Send To option, and select the USB flash drive. It takes a while for the ~3.7GB to be written to the flash drive.

That's how I do it, and always works fine for me. Be sure you select the "UEFI:" prefix entry in the boot order of the USB flash drive. That is really them most essential part of the installation process.
Moorglade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moorglade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 9:48pm
Hi, I have an ASRock Fatal1ty H87 motherboard. Does anyone know if it will support booting from an NVMe drive through an M.2 > PCIe x4 adapter card? 

I've updated BIOS to 2.60, which is said to introduce "NVMe support", but I'm not sure if it includes booting OS.
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 10:11am
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1236&title=how-to-install-windows-on-a-pcie-ssd

(X99m Fatal1ty Killer)

I installed on to my Plextor M.2 using a USB drive with Win10 on it (described in earlier posts). But page one Method 1 of this thread says windows will install using GPT format. I did use Method 1, however, it appears mine was MBR? Also, I made a pic of the install process as i went along and UEFI: USB... was not at the top of the boot order . My Plextor was at the top. And there was no AHCI entry at all. Method 1 says you must use the entry with the UEFI prefix. Did I that right ? or was this wrong?

If i am installing a new SSD storage drive (samsung 850 EVO 500GB) , should I therefore choose MBR or GPT for the new drive ? 

Thanks!

here is where it shows the MBR for my OS Plextor Drive. 

Here is the pic of my installation screen 

Edited by Aristoc - 30 Nov 2016 at 10:51am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Moorglade Moorglade wrote:

Hi, I have an ASRock Fatal1ty H87 motherboard. Does anyone know if it will support booting from an NVMe drive through an M.2 > PCIe x4 adapter card? 

I've updated BIOS to 2.60, which is said to introduce "NVMe support", but I'm not sure if it includes booting OS.

Adding NVMe support means it supports booting an OS from an NVMe SSD. So yes you can use an M.2 SSD in an M.2 to PCIe adapter card, and use it as the OS drive.

You can use an NVMe SSD in any board as a data drive, as long as you install an NVMe driver. But you must have NVMe support in the UEFI/BIOS in order to boot an OS from an NVMe SSD.
Edorf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 8:22am
Please help. I followed these instructions and still can't boot. I have the Taichi with updated Bios, and MyDigital Nvme SSD. Trying to boot from USB with Windows7 ISO with both Microsoft patches installed. Neither method works. Method 1 with "UEFI: USB DISK Pro PMAP. Partition 1" as Boot Priority, results in "Reboot and select proper boot device". Method 2 just takes me back to UEFI. Any advice is much appreciated. This is all new territory for me.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Edorf Edorf wrote:

Please help. I followed these instructions and still can't boot. I have the Taichi with updated Bios, and MyDigital Nvme SSD. Trying to boot from USB with Windows7 ISO with both Microsoft patches installed. Neither method works. Method 1 with "UEFI: USB DISK Pro PMAP. Partition 1" as Boot Priority, results in "Reboot and select proper boot device". Method 2 just takes me back to UEFI. Any advice is much appreciated. This is all new territory for me.

What is the full model name of your MyDigital NVMe SSD.

How did you create your USB installation media? You must use it in a USB 2.0 port when using Windows 7.

What are the two installed Microsoft patches you are talking about? One is probably the NVMe driver, an update from MS, but what is the other update from MS?

Did you also fix the location of the Windows 7 EFI bootloader file in the Windows 7 ISO installation folders? That is mentioned in the guide.

What video card are you using, which matters in method 2? It seems from your description it is not UEFI booting (GOP) compatible. That is discussed in the guide.

Windows 7 is the most difficult to install for UEFI booting. It requires multiple fixes, as you know. For the first time UEFI booting, you are not making things easy on yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 28>
  Share Topic