ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X470 seems to be in a boot loop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanklamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi X470 seems to be in a boot loop
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:24am
Hello,

I am in the process of building a new PC. Components are as follows:
  • ASRock Taichi X470
  • Ryzen 2700x
  • Ripjaw V 2x8 GB RAM
  • Radeon RX 580

After connecting every component to the motherboard I booted up the PC loaded a Manjaro live CD and started a new installation to a SATA HDD.
During the installation the monitor turned off and nothing happened anymore. LEDs still pulsing, fans still running.

Restarting the PC gave the same (non-)picture. I am getting no boot screen, no BIOS logo, nothing. The monitor stays off. There is no signal.

The computer is "on" (LEDs pulsing, all fans spinning) and I get POST codes from the Taichi. But nothing else happens.

The POST codes I see (not in that order and I'm sure I've missed a few)
07, 14, 15, 3B, 3E, 54, 60, 63, 7A, 90, C0
The codes are always looping.
Can someone deduce what is wrong?

Here is a list of what I've already tried. Everything without a change:
  • reseated RAM
  • tried both single RAM modules in every slot
  • reseated CPU
  • viaually checked for bent pins on CPU
  • tried a single 4GB DDR4 RAM module I've bought additionally for troubleshooting
  • tried graphics card successfully on an older Intel-based motherboard
  • tried the power supply successful with the older Intel-based board
  • tried without graphics card
  • tried without any drives
  • sending back the motherboard and getting a new one
  • trying it (since the arrival of the new board) outside the case. Just on the carton the board came in
  • several CMOS resets

The motherboard case says that the board is ready for the Ryzen 3000 series. So it should be ok for a 2700x, right?

I don't know what to do anymore. The only thing left it could be (in my mind) is a broken CPU or a BIOS not suitable for my system.

What can I try? What could it be?
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:59pm
hello @sanklamm

Set ram speed 2133mhz to install windows, if all OK, means ram parameters need manual adjustment, may be cannot use XMP.

May be!!!
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
sanklamm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanklamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:04pm
hello,

the problem is, how can I set the RAM speed if I'm not even able to get into the BIOS? As I said, the monitor doesn't get a signal.
Termy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:48pm
then you'll have to reset cmos i'm afraid.
sanklamm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanklamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:15pm
Is there a special way to reset CMOS apart from disconnecting PSU, removing battery, draining system of left over current by holding the power button for 20 seconds and setting the CMOS reset jumper for half an hour?

I did that a couple of times.
Termy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:38pm
on the x470 taichi, there is a clear cmos button in the I/O-Block. Disconnect PSU, press the button for >5s and you are set.
sanklamm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanklamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:48pm
yeah. that too. Did this the first 20 times. Then resorted to the aforementioned measure.

I have a feeling that I have a bad CPU. But how can I test for that?
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:17pm
Did you by any chance forget to connect the ATX12V power supply?
sanklamm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanklamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:21pm
I plugged in the big 24? pin connector, the 8 pin and 4 pin connector by the CPU. Also the graphics card has its cable plugged.

The PSU is a Corsair 750W.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:22pm
Make sure the RAM is properly seated, sometimes the slots can be very tight on a new board.
Use a single module of RAM in slot A2.
Check the sticker on the BIOS chip to see what BIOS version is installed
Try turning on the PC and just leaving it for an hour.
If all else fails, return the CPU for replacement.
With Post codes the only one that matters is the last one on the display before it boot loops. In this case I am guessing C0 which is AGESA Boot Load initialization.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic