ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice on my AMD build.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on my AMD build.
    Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 8:00pm
I really want to go (2) SLI set up but after doing some intense researching. My motherboard only support up to (1) SLI or (3) Crossfire GPU If I'm planing to install a M.2 I can only run (2) Crossfire. I been looking at the R9 380 Overclocked, R9 390 Overclocked and or R9 390x Overclocked. I can't make up mind to go with ASUS or MSI.

I be using for some gaming but mostly for in house work computer that I be doing 2D/3D complex drawings in AutoCAD. My goal is to have (3) monitors running.?

My computer build
Case: Corsair 900D
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance
CPU: AMD FX-9590 Black Edition
CPU Cooler:? Corsair H100i GTX
CD/DVD/Blue Ray Burner: LG 14X BD-RE
GPU: (1) MSI R9 390x, planing to buy another one for Crossfire
*RAM: 32GB
*Hard drive: M.2. 256GB or 512GB
*Hard drive: Raid setup for drawing files
*PSU: Corsair AX

* "Still need to purchase"

Edited by amusa - 22 Nov 2015 at 8:10am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:31pm
Make sure you have good airflow over the VRM heatsink and components around the CPU seeing as you are using the FX 9590. That CPU really heats up the socket and VRMs and with a water cooling AIO unit installed you will not have a CPU fan blowing down onto them. ASRock recommends using a top down blowing CPU cooler with the FX 9000 series CPUs so keep that in mind when assembling. Keep an eye on the VRM and component temps around the socket and add cooling as needed to ensure the stability and longevity of your system.

Also bare in mind that when going for a multiple GPU setup you will want GPUs with above average cooling to ensure you do not suffer thermal throttling. 

I would not have gone with the setup you have put together, that thing is going to be a furnace with crossfire and an FX 9k CPU. I cannot stress enough the importance of ample airflow with your setup. If done right it will be decent workhorse machine but if done wrong you will have serious heat issues that could lead to component failure. I don't mean to scare you but I felt it prudent to warn you. Make sure you have positive air pressure in the case (more intake fans than outlet) and for a system build like this you will want at least 5 high quality 120mm fans and possibly 2 or 3 80mm or 90mm spot fans aimed at problem areas depending on the CFM of the 120mm fans.

As for the GPUs I would go for whichever has the best cooling solution.
amusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 6:45am
Thank You for the advice.  I will keep that in mind about the temperature on the GPU.

The FX-9590 was a gift from my siblings.

My Corsair 900D case already came with (3) 120mm front intake fans and (1) 140mm rear exhaust fan.  The case still has plenty of spaces to mount more fans.

I know the Corsaiir H100i GTX liquid CPU Cooler has a 276mm x 125mm x 30mm radiator and (2) 120mm fans. That will be mounted on the top of the case acting as a intake fans.

I do have (4) or (5) extra fans that my friend gave me. I need to check on the size of those fans. I'm guessing some are 120mm and some are maybe 80mm. I can always buy better fans.

Edited by amusa - 17 Nov 2015 at 6:56am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 7:09am
I have to politely disagree that your Fatal1ty 970 Performance will do much but turn to smoke attempting to power that 220w FX-9590.

Maybe one of the 95w FX6xxx's. But certainly not the 220w 9590.

220w. The board just wasn't designed nor is it outfitted to keep up with a 220w processor. No matter how many fans you direct onto the power section.

That just my 2cents worth.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 7:35am
The board is rated as supporting 220w CPUs and actually recommends water cooling for the 220w FX 9k series. If there is any problem with overheating or board failure ASRock is obligated to provide a replacement provided there is no negligence on the part of the builder. Parsec is currently using almost the exact combo of CPU and motherboard and has reported no issues with his system as of yet.
amusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 7:06pm
I been on the hunt for the GA-990FXA-UD7 and the 990FX Extreme 9 motherboard for over a year and I even had my local Micro Center looking for that board for month for me and I was told that ASRock no longer make that board anymore Cry. I was recommended to get the Fatal1ty 970 because it was the only board that Micro Center can get there hands on that can support the 220W CPU.

Edited by amusa - 19 Nov 2015 at 6:49pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 7:03pm
NewEgg has the 990FX Extreme9 back in stock and on sale for $159.99 after a $30.00 Mail-In Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157358

I despise mail in rebates. If I'm going to pay $159.99 as an end result then let me pay $159.99 and be done with it.
amusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 6:41am
Dam it. I just bought the video card the other day :( Oh well. if it's still available by next week I pick it up and keep the Fatal1ty 970 as a back up Motherboard.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Make sure you have positive air pressure in the case (more intake fans than outlet) and for a system build like this you will want at least 5 high quality 120mm fans and possibly 2 or 3 80mm or 90mm spot fans aimed at problem areas depending on the CFM of the 120mm fans.

Positive pressure is only good for keeping the dust out. For maximum cooling you need negative pressure, but this is of course not enough to guarantee sufficient cooling. As you stated, amusa may need spot fans to make sure cool air reaches the necessary components on the motherboard.

My suggestion to amusa is to consider carefully how the air might flow inside the case and try to make sure there are as few "blind spots" as possible. Experimenting with the fans is not a bad idea either, since amusa seems to have plenty of fans as well as places to mount them.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
amusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:32pm
I been giving allot of thinking and came up with this ideal.

Front of Case
(2) Corsair Intake fans 120mm (70.69 CFM, 4.65mm H2O)
Corsair Radiator (276mm x 125mm x 30mm)

Bottom Side of case below the window
(3) Intake Fans 120mm

Top of Case
(3) Exhaust Fan 120mm

Back of Case
(1) Exhaust Fan 140mm

I can get air filters for the intake fans and if needed I can always get a Fan Controller.

Edited by amusa - 01 Dec 2015 at 7:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic