ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Inquire about Asrock b450m-pro4 ryzen 3000 support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inquire about Asrock b450m-pro4 ryzen 3000 support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCourier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inquire about Asrock b450m-pro4 ryzen 3000 support
    Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 2:08pm
Hey all,
Looking to upgrade my 2012 intel system to Ryzen 3600 and i understand this MB will meet of what i need but i couldnt understand from the Asrock manufacture site if the MB supports ryzen 3600 out of the box and if not then at what version it will come with? And can i update it with a USB stick without CPU?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 2:30pm
Out of the box, no, you will likely need a BIOS update to make the 3600 work with
the board. While there will be some boards that support Ryzen 3000 out of the box
it will only boards that were manufactured and shipped after Ryzen 3000 launched.
Boards that retailers have in stock that predate Ryzen 3000 will not support it
out of the box.

Ryzen 3000 ready boards will likely have a sticker on the box to indicate it.
If you purchase a board from a physical store you may be able to get them to
update the board for you when you buy it.
TheCourier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCourier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Out of the box, no, you will likely need a BIOS update to make the 3600 work with
the board. While there will be some boards that support Ryzen 3000 out of the box
it will only boards that were manufactured and shipped after Ryzen 3000 launched.
Boards that retailers have in stock that predate Ryzen 3000 will not support it
out of the box.

Ryzen 3000 ready boards will likely have a sticker on the box to indicate it.
If you purchase a board from a physical store you may be able to get them to
update the board for you when you buy it.

Oh i see, well i will probably buy it from amazon so ill have to update it.
If this case then it will be my first time doing such a thing, would you recommend a particular guide about this?
Habylab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habylab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 5:03pm
Are you able to update the BIOS from USB?
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by TheCourier TheCourier wrote:

If this case then it will be my first time doing such a thing, would you recommend a particular guide about this?

If the bios from the board is too old, you also will need an old gen1/Gen2 CPU for updating the bios.
Version 3.30 is the first supporting Gen3 CPUs, 3.60 is the newest.

If you cannot clearify the bios version fitting with the 3600 CPU, i would not buy it.
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
TheCourier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCourier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

If the bios from the board is too old, you also will need an old gen1/Gen2 CPU for updating the bios.

If you cannot clearify the bios version fitting with the 3600 CPU, i would not buy it.

Just to clarify, i cant update the bios version using usb stick without any cpu installed on the board?
Habylab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habylab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 7:20pm

Just to clarify, i cant update the bios version using usb stick without any cpu installed on the board?

I keep seeing people saying you can't, but the instructions here to me makes it sound like you can run the update from your USB.

https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 8:59pm

No, you can't update a B450M-Pro4 without CPU.
And if the bios is older as version 3.30, you additionally need a Gen1 or Gen2 CPU for doing that!

The flashback feature for updating without CPU is supported only by some   
newer Asrock boards.
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Habylab Habylab wrote:

I keep seeing people saying you can't, but the instructions here to me makes it sound like you can run the update from your USB.
https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS10

For sure the bios can be updated via FAT32 formatted USB disk with the instant flash function inside the bios.
But to be able to go into the bios you need a... ?

... CPU
Under test:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic