ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470D4U with PCIe GPU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgbspender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470D4U with PCIe GPU
    Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 8:26pm
As soon as I add a graphics card to the X470D4U it is automatically selected as "primary video adaptor" and the remote KVM no longer gets a signal. The option is in the BIOS under "AMD PBS", but it can not be selected or changed.

It looks like aspeed BMC GPU is automatically disabled.

Does anyone know a way to bring it back and set it as primary?

Other mainboards allow to select the primary graphics in this case so the remote kvm is still usable and the OS can handle both (or all) graphics cards.

Without the KVM I could have bought a much cheaper board.
FLPPasRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLPPasRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 9:31pm
I've been using it with a Radeon Pro WX 4100 GPU in the small PCIe 3.0 x4 slot.

Go to BIOS -> Advanced -> Chipset and change the Onboard VGA setting from Auto to Enabled, this way at least the dGPU won't disable the onboard VGA.

If this doesn't help you might also try chsnging the boot mode to UEFI only with CSM disabled, if possible. Changing these two options lets me use both GPUs, at least in Windows 10, don't know about other operating systems.

I quite like the X470D4U's theoretical hardware capabilities but the BIOS and BMC software state is unfortunately a mess (compare large Level1Techs thread where various X470D4U users help each other out since ASRock Rack's support is a "little bit" "understaffed" regarding this motherboard model)
cgbspender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgbspender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:31pm
Thank you very much. Must have missed that option. Will try it when I get home.
FLPPasRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLPPasRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 11:52pm
Hope that the options mentioned are going to help you!

But it doesn't solve the issue that the user cannot change the greyed-out setting specifying what GPU should be used as the primary output device :(

Level1Techs is a rather niche tech YouTube channel that recently assisted Gamer's Nexus (another YouTube channel) with the build of a NAS with the ASRock Rack X470D4U2-2T (the same as the X40D4U but with dual 10 GbE onboard):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hix0l8cFaMw

The large Level1Techs forum thread I mentioned where X470D4U users help each other out is:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/asrock-rack-has-created-the-first-am4-socket-server-board/139490
starkruzr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starkruzr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:28pm
Has anyone else noticed that regardless of whether the GPU is set as primary it just... doesn't show up in Linux? At all? Like not even in lspci, or in the system inventory in IPMI? I have had this problem both with an AMD GPU with an external power source and an NVidia GPU with just PCIe as the power source. The fans spin, but it's like there's no communication. Both of these cards have been confirmed to work on other machines.
Twalks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:32am
I've had the same issue @starkruzr with my smaller gpu (asus b750pi), had to rip out the 980ti from a different build to get it to boot properly. Having to order a smaller, modern gpu because the massive 980 wont fit in the Silverstone case...
mrfreitag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfreitag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:23am
I also had the same problem, setting the PCIE to 2x8 instead of 1x16 solved it for me. Does not seem to affect the performance, though: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus
lliax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lliax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:26pm
Unfortunately, the card s7150x2 doesn't work with virtualization enabled (SR-IOV enabled). BIOS post: dxe pci bus enumeration
I bought a processor 3900X, 128GB RAM for this motherboard. And it turned out that in vain! I will put s7150x2 in the working Intel server based on Supermicro and double Xeon E5-2667v2.

For reference, I confirm that the built-in and external video cards are launched simultaneously when the option is enabled:
BIOS -> Advanced -> Chipset and change the Onboard VGA setting from Auto to Enabled, this way at least the dGPU won't disable the onboard VGA
lliax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lliax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:14am
I'm sorry, the video card started with the correct settings.

Mount videocard in to PCIe slot nuber 6! (16 lanes PCIe)
Default Bios 3.50
Enabled:
1. ADVANCED:
1.1. Chipset Configuration:
onboard vga
abode 4G deocding
sr-iov
1.2. AMD CBS -> NBIO Common Opions:
IOMMU
ACS Support
PCIe ARI Support
PCIe ARI Enumeration
PCIe Teb Bit Tag Support
PCIe ARI Support
2. Boot:
CSM -> UEFI only for launch video and other storage, PCIe6 - uefi
NoHTTPS? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoHTTPS? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 7:44pm
you just saved me a whole lot of headache!
thanks brother
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic