ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z97 Extreme4 Error Code 6A?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpicyWater808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z97 Extreme4 Error Code 6A?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 3:28am
Summary:

Hi, I just put together a new build for gaming using the Asrock z97 extreme4 motherboard (windows 10 already installed). After I installed the drivers, something went wrong in the restart, due to wrong boot priority in the bios which glitched it out I think. Now, my computer only turns on for a few seconds, then immediately turns off, over and over again until I completely turn off the power to the computer and it doesn't stop when I turn it back on. I can't even access the BIOS. The whole time, the motherboards Dr. Debug is giving me an Error Code 6A, except I don't know what it is or how to fix it. Please help me!

Full Story:

Hi, I am making a gaming computer, and I am having the problem where every time I turn on my computer, it constantly turns on and off for a few seconds, repeating this process until I completely turn off the power for the computer. And when I turn the computer back on, it does the same thing.

So here is the story, I have had the parts for a couple days now, and I just finished putting everything together. I got windows 10 on my computer, and was installing the drivers. I was installing the motherboards drivers off of my flash drive. When the drivers finished installing, my computer did an automatic restart, with my flash drive still in. I did have usb accidentally on first priority on my bios after installing my windows off my first usb, and forgot to remove my second flash drive with the drivers on it. I am not sure if that has something to do with the problem, glitching things out, but all I know is that during that restart, once it hit the off part of the restart, it just kept turning on and off, only staying on for about two-four seconds, with all the fans spinning (cpu, case, gpu and psu) and everything lights up, then turning off, then restarting the process again and again. These are all new parts, so I doubt anything is really broken. My motherboard also has a Dr. DeBug, which gives me a code of 6A (chipset initialization error), right before it shuts off. Please help me! WHAT DO I DO?

Here is my build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/szyp6h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/szyp6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($215.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $713.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-21 16:12 EST-0500
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 5:16am
Originally posted by SpicyWater808 SpicyWater808 wrote:

Summary:

Hi, I just put together a new build for gaming using the Asrock z97 extreme4 motherboard (windows 10 already installed).

The underlines is where things are quite possibly causing your issue.

Unless the boards were identical in hardware it is a RARE occasion to be able to simply move a HDD/SSD from one computer to a new one. It just isn't that easy and usually ends with what you are describing. It sounds as if you didn't properly remove all the drivers that were requirements of your old board before you moved it to this new one

Since I'm guessing you do not have backups of the current drive I can only suggest you install a new drive with which to install Windows and the correct drivers to. Then afterwards connect your old drive and copy everything over dir by dir. All but the apps, which you'll need to re-install.

One thing you might try. If it will boot into Safe Mode there are some programs/apps that will thoroughly remove and and all drivers. I might suggest you use one in Safe Mode, following heir instructions, and then after finishing try to boot into Windows the regular way. Then load your new MB's drivers and cross your fingers.

SpicyWater808 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpicyWater808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 5:34am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Unless the boards were identical in hardware it is a RARE occasion to be able to simply move a HDD/SSD from one computer to a new one. It just isn't that easy and usually ends with what you are describing. It sounds as if you didn't properly remove all the drivers that were requirements of your old board before you moved it to this new one

Sorry if I confused you, all the parts are new, I just installed windows 10 onto my motherboard, then drivers before this problem started to occur, it wasn't a used motherboard. Also, I cannot even access the bios, due to the computer turning off so quickly, so nothing even loads onto the monitor. Thanks.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 5:49am
Ok.

Gaming rig huh? Can I assume a gaming keyboard is being used to install the OS? I'm betting so.

If one is, find a bone stock PS/2 or bone stock USB one, plug it into a _native_ to the CPU USB 2.0 port and retry.

Keep us informed of your progress.
SpicyWater808 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpicyWater808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 6:02am
Nope, it does the same thing, just turns off. However, when I take out both RAM sticks, even though the computer can't load, it doesn't just turn off instantly either, it just runs and gives me a new error code of 53. Maybe it's the ram causing the problem? How can I fix that?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 6:29am
I really don't like having to suggest this all the time for just about every possible post problem but have you tried clearing CMOS?

I always recommend this method as it is basically foolproof.

Does the system post at all or does it just power on, spin up briefly then cycle? If it is just cycling then it is probably a corrupted setting in BIOS, I see the same behavior on my Extreme 3 when I set a bad OC. Sometimes it will cycle like this 3 or 4 times then post and give a recovery message while others it requires a CMOS clear to get it to post again. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 6:40am
G.Skill's Memory Configurator HERE for you MB shows your F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM sticks as guaranteed to work on your board.

53 means no memory, so that's correct.

Ok. Here's what I'd like you to do. Let's clear the CMOS/BIOS.

Power off and unplug from wall
Disconnect both 24-pin and 8-pin power cables
Press and release the cases Power button once
Pull the CMOS battery, noting the writing is facing away from the MB
Jumper the MBs CLRMOS1 from pins 1 and 2, over to pins 2 and 3 (see pg 20 of your manual)
Leave it sit like this for half an hour, or overnight if need be

Afterwards, reverse the order above to get you computer back to being bootable, power it on and cross your fingers.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:26am
Xaltar, seems we were posting at the same time.

Too, good minds think alike I notice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic