ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Beebox won't wake from sleep with remote or USB
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox won't wake from sleep with remote or USB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie445 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:09am
I'm also pissed off!

# Bios issues/freezes
# Issue with boot select menu
# OS Sleep not working

This should be fixed!
Marc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:31pm
I gave up and have no hope AsRock will fix this.
I won't buy AsRock products anymore, a company that doesn't communicate will lose customers.
solarice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm
There was a new bios v1.70 (n3000) released on 28th March that states it modifies power on issue...so might be a fix.

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/Beebox%20Series/?cat=Download

The initial bios freezing i had seems to have resolved itself.

At first i couldn't really do anything without it locking up, but as soon as i jumpered the pins to clear cmos then rebooted straight into the bios, i was able to update the bios without issue.

Even after the update I seem to be remember being able to cause the issues if i fiddled with the ram...e.g. if i had two sticks in originally and removed one then went into the bios it could lock up.  But if after i'd removed a stick I then reset the cmos using the jumper points it didn't have a problem. (hopefully i'm remembering this correctly, so i don't give out false info.)

But anyway my method was to :

install the ram, reset the cmos and finally reboot into bios (this would let you browse around enough to update the bios (1.30) (if you still have issues updating try F6 at boot instead) since then though there's been no freezing, lock ups or slow down in the bios.

So i don't know if it's possible for the bios to get confused by ram being different (maybe from the tests at factory?) or it being removed without it knowing? or maybe it was just a compatibility issue that was fixed with bios v1.30 and i'm remembering incorrectly.

But might be worth a try. This is in a N3000 using crucial 8gb kit.

Can i also recommend really triple checking the ram is in all the way, as its possible for it to look and feel like its seated correctly (can even clip it down) but it can still have a way to go before its properly in place.

Edited by solarice - 21 Apr 2016 at 9:49pm
fact619 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fact619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 7:58am
Hello,

Can you validate that the recent BIOS update fixes the sleep issue?

Thank you.
solarice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:48pm
I have the new bios installed but i haven't tried using any of the sleep settings prior, so i can't confirm or deny if its fixed the issue as i haven't seen it first hand.

Saying that i have suspended the machine a few times and each time it has woken up from either the power button (its staying lit solid when asleep, not sure if it's meant to?) or by a usb keyboard / mouse.

So it's possible this will fix your issue but i suppose i'd say you'd have to update to find out for yourself.

As an aside it seems to be displaying through the hdmi quicker on boot than it was before. And the constant black screen i would get if i turned the TV on after i started the beebox also seems to have been resolved.

But again i've only tested it very briefly.

Edited by solarice - 21 Apr 2016 at 10:07pm
QoftR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QoftR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:10am
Inspired by:

http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?k=hibernate

Appearently you have to change settings that are not available: disable "Turn on fast startup (recommended)."

This 'solved' the issue for me!

gyrex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 2:05am
Just bought a Beebox 3150 and I'm having issues with wake from suspend (as well as other problems). Has anyone got a fix for this yet?

Config

Beebox 3150
RAM: HyperX DDR3 SODIMM IMPACT BLACK 8GB/1600 (2*4GB) CL9 1.35V
Disk: Plextor M6M PX-128M6M (mSATA, 128GB, SATA/600)
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech unified receiver with a K400 wireless keyboard with touchpad.

Beebox came with BIOS v1.10. Tried updating to v1.60 using an internet flash and flash via FAT32 USB stick but both didn't work after trying several times. Eventually flashed v1.50 via USB stick - worked. Then tried flashing v1.60 again using USB stick a number of times - didn't work. Tried flashing v1.60 using internet based flash, download started then finished, then BIOS froze, left it sit there for a while. Powered off then back on and it started and finished the flash procedure.

After using v1.60, I still can't get wake from suspend working. Tried just about every BIOS setting known to man but can't get this sucker to work. Tried waking using WOL, mouse/keyboard and using the power button.

I can see that the system actually wakes from suspend (the blue light goes from a flashing state to a fixed state) but there's no display output.

Has anyone had any success in getting this to work? I just called "tech support" but I'd have more chance of having a sensible conversation with a rock. I think I facepalmed myself so many times I've got a permanent indent in my head.

BTW, other issues I've had:

* flashing BIOS issue as listed above
* SSD disk not being recognised during POST and system not booting
* BIOS boot disks menu/priority seem to change by themselves

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gyrex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 12:50am
I spoke with Hans from Europe technical support today. He was a hell of a lot more useful than the bloke I spoke to in the US who wouldn't know the difference between a computer and a rock.... My impression is that Asrock's "fix" for this issue is to force people to do S4 hibernation by changing the behaviour of a particular BIOS setting in later BIOS revisions. The Advanced\ACPI\Suspend to RAM setting when set to "Auto" disabled suspend to RAM and forces the system to suspend to disk (S4). I have disabled hibernation in Windows 10 and if you set "Suspend to RAM" to Auto you lose the "Suspend" option in your Windows power options. If you set it to "Enabled" you get the Suspend option back.

The computer has no problems waking from S4 hibernation state but can't wake from S3 Suspend to RAM state.

I sent Hans the following email and I look forward to his response. Hopefully Asrock will come up with a fix or I'll have to return this...

System Specs

BIOS v1.60
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX (HX316LS9IBK2/8)
HDD: Plextor 128GB SSD (PX-128M6M)
Dual boot Windows 10 x64 Pro & Ubuntu 16.04
Hibernate disabled in Windows 10
Ethernet cable connected

Troubleshooting

- BIOS v1.60 Cleared CMOS - during post a message appeared saying system restored default BIOS settings
    - No suspend option in Windows
    - Booted to Ubuntu. System appears suspended (no display) but it doesn?™t appear that the system is actually suspended - power LED fixed and not flashing. Pressed Power button and Ubuntu woke up.
    - Suspended again and same result
- Rebooted into BIOS. BIOS settings changed:
    - Advanced\ACPI\Suspend to RAM: Auto -> Enabled
- Boot into Ubuntu
    - Suspended system. Power LED now flashing.
    - Attempted to wake from suspend using power button. Power button changes from flashing to fixed state.
    - System isn?™t waking up. No display output & can?™t ping system. Failed wake state.
- Hard power off by holding down power button (this is the only way to get the system back).
- Attempted to boot system - can?™t find SSD boot disk
- Turned off system, disconnected power cable & booted, SSD found.
- Booting into Windows
- Can now see Sleep option now (probably due to step 2.1). I have a feeling that ?śAuto??disables suspend to RAM and favours hibernation (S4) state. I come to this conclusion because I have disabled hibernation in Windows and when ?śSuspend to RAM??is set to Auto I don?™t get a suspend option.
- Sleep Windows. Power LED changes from fixed state to flashing state.
- Attempt to wake by using power button. Power LED changes from flashing to fixed state. Can hear fans starting up. No display output, no network response.
- Only way to get the system back is to hard power off with a long press on the power button.

Conclusion

System is unable to wake from S3 ?śSuspend to RAM??state. System can wake from S4 hibernation state. This is a problem - I don't want to do S4 hibernation for a number of reasons but mainly because of the unnecessary writes to the SSD and because of the additional space required for the hibernation file. In any case, a 10-15 year old computer is be able to perform S3 suspend/wake, let alone a brand new one. Apparently this is a well known and wide spread issue according to your forums (http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1357&PN=1&title=beebox-wont-wake-from-sleep-with-remote-or-usb)

Edited by gyrex - 16 Jun 2016 at 12:51am
gyrex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 3:37pm
Can anyone let me know if their beebox wakes from suspend by using the power button on the unit? I know a lot of people here are stating that it won't wake using a USB or IR device but I'm keen to know if it wakes using the power button.

I've tried waking the beebox using:

* power button
* WOL
* USB device

And none of them work. The system "wakes" ie. the power LED changes from a flashing state to a fixed state and you can hear the fan whirring up but there's no display.

Interested to know if it's just me because Asrock are saying that I've got a faulty unit and I need to send it back...
gyrex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyrex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:15pm
Although this thread seems pretty dead, I received a response from support and it appears they have found the issue:

"Apparently it is some compatibility issue with specific combinations of components, so only some systems will have this resume from S3 problem. We can fix it by changing something on the motherboard. A BIOS update will not fix it."

I'm sending the unit back to get fixed so fingers crossed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic