ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170M-ITX/DL CPU fan control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:06am
Intel normally provides the description of their CPU coolers for each generation of their processors in a document called the Thermal and Mechanical Specification and Design Guide, or TMSDG, speaking in acronyms.

Unfortunately, the last time they released a document like this was for the LGA2011-3 HEDT i7 processors. This is Intel current listing of available documents:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html

After considering this situation, I can't believe that Intel changed the behavior of the PWM fan used on the CPU cooler provided by Intel for Skylake processors. Intel created the PWM fan speed control specification IIRC, and is a standard used by all fan manufactures that market PWM controlled fans. Changing the PWM behavior for one fan would cause all the existing PWM fans to no longer function correctly.

This leads me to think that there is a problem either with the AXTU (or equivalent utility) version you all are using, or the UEFI/BIOS has a problem, or both. I'm NOT saying you are using the wrong version of AXTU, just that the version provided for your boards may have a fault.

The H170 Pro4 board has AXTU version 3.0.17 on all the versions of Windows in its download page. The H170M-ITX/DL has A-Tuning version 3.0.28 listed in the same way. I'm somewhat familiar with how these utilities work, and I will check them if I can for possible problems. These programs may not allow it to be installed on my different, Z170 board, but I'll see what happens.

I will pass this situation on to ASRock, whom happen to be ending their traditional New Years holiday this week.
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 3:13am
Hi parsec.
Thanks for reporting back.
The board's firmware should be capable of regulating the fan power according to the power/temp profile configured in the UEFI, without additional software. Correct? This it does not do. I've not tried any fan control software other than A-Tuning, but only resorted to installing that once I became aware of the fan problem, which incidentally exists whether you're sat at the UEFI or booted in to an OS, be it Windows, Linux. I believe the AXTU (thats's asrock a-tuning, right?) may be irrelevant.

Out of interest, are the A-Tuning software downloads individually packaged for each board? I'd assumed, from the size of the install!, the package was more universal and covered a large range of hardware.

Somewhere, I have an unused Intel HS/Fan that came with i5-3570K. If I can find it, I'm going to see how that performs on this board (H170M Pro4).

Normally I would have bought a Z series board and 3rd party cooler, but was on a tighter budget this time round and no longer interested in performance tweaking. So went with H series.
This board has proved to be more time consuming than any 'enthusiast' board!
Here's looking forward to an answer.
h170m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h170m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I will pass this situation on to ASRock, whom happen to be ending their traditional New Years holiday this week.

You should definitely do that. The AsRock R&D department don't deserve a holiday. They deserve to be fired for being too lazy / incompetent to test their own motherboards! Today I will contact the AsRock distributor for my country, because this situation is simply not tolerable.
H170M Pro4 | i5-6600 | 2x4GB HyperX Fury 2666Mhz HX426C15FBK2/8
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 6:28pm
Dear customers,
This is ASRock Technical Support Department.

We are now checking this issue.
If any updates or solution, we will update this thread and post a topic ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD
iwik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iwik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 8:44pm
Great, I'm very happy that this issue was no fault on my side and ASrock support is investigating!
Bibbio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibbio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by iwik iwik wrote:

Great, I'm very happy that this issue was no fault on my side and ASrock support is investigating!

Thanks for posting this question,i get the same issue with a Z97 Anniversary,opened a thread and getted the same 1st answer...they blame the hardware fan pwm it is faulty.

But same fans works fine with previous motherboard.Look really some firmware fault...or at least they PWM 4 pins fans controller...dont work as must do.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1483&KW=bibbio&title=asrock-z97-anniversary-fan-speed

Edited by Bibbio - 07 Jan 2016 at 9:07pm
h170m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h170m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

Dear customers,
This is ASRock Technical Support Department.

We are now checking this issue.
If any updates or solution, we will update this thread and post a topic ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD

Dear ASRock Technical Support Department, did you find a solution to the CPU fan speed control problem?

And what happens if you don't find a solution? You didn't see the CPU fan was not spinning so what are the odds of you solving this problem?

Now that you are well aware of the CPU fan control problem on AsRock motherboards for Skylake, why don't you place an announcement on your site informing your potential customers that AsRock motherboards are not compatible with the Skylake's stock fan?

A not working CPU fan controller is not an inconvenience. It's a potential hardware damage.

Please do something and do it fast. Thank you!
H170M Pro4 | i5-6600 | 2x4GB HyperX Fury 2666Mhz HX426C15FBK2/8
110mitx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 110mitx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 1:35am
Just got an H110M-ITX with i3-6100 Skylake. Same issue here. Please resolve this, my new build is super loud as a result of this cpu fan control bug.
Kayman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:39am
I have a H170M Pro4 board with an Intel Core i5-6600 (boxed) CPU. Same issue here. Confused
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by keeka keeka wrote:

Hi parsec.
Thanks for reporting back.
The board's firmware should be capable of regulating the fan power according to the power/temp profile configured in the UEFI, without additional software. Correct? This it does not do. I've not tried any fan control software other than A-Tuning, but only resorted to installing that once I became aware of the fan problem, which incidentally exists whether you're sat at the UEFI or booted in to an OS, be it Windows, Linux. I believe the AXTU (thats's asrock a-tuning, right?) may be irrelevant.

Out of interest, are the A-Tuning software downloads individually packaged for each board? I'd assumed, from the size of the install!, the package was more universal and covered a large range of hardware.

Somewhere, I have an unused Intel HS/Fan that came with i5-3570K. If I can find it, I'm going to see how that performs on this board (H170M Pro4).

Normally I would have bought a Z series board and 3rd party cooler, but was on a tighter budget this time round and no longer interested in performance tweaking. So went with H series.
This board has proved to be more time consuming than any 'enthusiast' board!
Here's looking forward to an answer.

Each A-Tuning version is shared by many ASRock boards. Each board has its own fan speed control parameters defined in a file strictly for that board.

The fan speed control in the UEFI and A-Tuning both communicate with the same controller chip on the board. You can override the UEFI fan speed control settings with A-Tuning, but only by running A-Tuning automatically or manually, or applying settings for a fan manually.

Anyone that purchases a Skylake 'K' type processor does NOT get a Skylake stock CPU cooler. That is new for Intel with Skylake. I have a box of Intel processors boxes, all with the stock coolers still inside, unused. Except for my Skylake K processor. Otherwise I could test this cooler myself.

I am at a loss to explain what happened with the Skylake stock CPU coolers. Intel has used PWM fans on their coolers since at least their socket 775 processors, released in 2008. I use multiple PWM fans with my ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, from different manufactures, and they all behave normally.

Why Intel would change the PWM operating parameters of these fans recently to the point they run a full speed or not at all with the standard PWM signals, is very strange. IF Intel did change the PWM specs for the Skylake CPU coolers, modifying the PWM parameters on your boards would also affect all the other PWM fans currently available and in use. These other PWM fans would likely then behave in non-standard ways. This is why the theory that some of the PWM fans used on the stock Skylake CPU coolers are out of specification is potentially true.

It would be very interesting to try using an Intel stock cooler from ANY other processor generation on your ASRock Skylake chipset board. Any Intel 115X socket cooler will fit the Skylake 1151 socket, which takes us back to socket 1156 processors, released in late 2009 to mid 2010. I have an example of every Intel processor generation since Sandy Bridge/1155, so I could try any of those.

We would be very interested to know how an Ivy Bridge processor's stock fan worked with your ASRock board. It should fit fine in your board, and is probably larger than the stock Skylake CPU cooler.

What would your reaction be if the previous CPU generation Intel stock CPU cooler PWM fans worked fine with your board's PWM control?

All I'm trying to do is make the point that this situation is very strange, not that someone is right or wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic