ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170M-ITX/DL CPU fan control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 10:27pm
We have new bios 1.50 1/25/2016 with description

1.Update microcode to 0x74.
2.Improve DRAM compatibility.

Nothing about fan control :(

I will try it soon. I hope it is silent fix!

keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Anyone that purchases a Skylake 'K' type processor does NOT get a Skylake stock CPU cooler. That is new for Intel with Skylake. I have a box of Intel processors boxes, all with the stock coolers still inside, unused. Except for my Skylake K processor. Otherwise I could test this cooler myself.

Yes I had noticed Intel no longer supply HS/Fan with K series CPUs. Those of us chosing H series board have gone with the locked CPU that does come with an Intel HS/Fan.  I guess this is why the problem appears to be confined to those of us with H170 boards.

I am at a loss to explain what happened with the Skylake stock CPU coolers. Intel has used PWM fans on their coolers since at least their socket 775 processors, released in 2008. I use multiple PWM fans with my ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, from different manufactures, and they all behave normally.

Why Intel would change the PWM operating parameters of these fans recently to the point they run a full speed or not at all with the standard PWM signals, is very strange. IF Intel did change the PWM specs for the Skylake CPU coolers, modifying the PWM parameters on your boards would also affect all the other PWM fans currently available and in use. These other PWM fans would likely then behave in non-standard ways. This is why the theory that some of the PWM fans used on the stock Skylake CPU coolers are out of specification is potentially true.

I saw my fan run at approx 1400 RPM recently but cannot for the life of me replicate that fan behaviour.  The CPU fan profile in the UEFI was set for performance IIRC.  I have since upgraded the BIOS (still get BIOS freezes!) and cannot replicate it.  I think that was back at BIOS 1.5.  Sorry, I cannot give more detailed information on this.

It would be very interesting to try using an Intel stock cooler from ANY other processor generation on your ASRock Skylake chipset board. Any Intel 115X socket cooler will fit the Skylake 1151 socket, which takes us back to socket 1156 processors, released in late 2009 to mid 2010. I have an example of every Intel processor generation since Sandy Bridge/1155, so I could try any of those.

We would be very interested to know how an Ivy Bridge processor's stock fan worked with your ASRock board. It should fit fine in your board, and is probably larger than the stock Skylake CPU cooler.

I posted my findings connecting an Intel LGA775 cooler earlier in this thread.
By 'We' do you mean ASRock support?  Do they not have these earlier coolers at hand, so that they can verify this directly?
[edit]Can you confirm the intel cooler from retail i5-3570K will fit?  AIUI the pushpin holes should align but the vertical clearance may differ.  If it does fit and works, I' would settle for that and get on with life![/edit]

What would your reaction be if the previous CPU generation Intel stock CPU cooler PWM fans worked fine with your board's PWM control?

My reaction would be that it seems odd, given the fan spec appears not to have changed.
What I would say is, this problem only seems to have been reported with H170 with stock Intel cooler.  What's more it only seems to be owners of ASRock boards that are experiencing it.

All I'm trying to do is make the point that this situation is very strange, not that someone is right or wrong.

My first thoughts were faulty fan or motherboard.  It's  unlikely but plausible that all of us having this problem may have faulty hardware.
Have ASRock support themselves actually tested an i5-6600 with the Intel cooler on H170 platform?  Surely, first step is for them to see if they can replicate the problem.  It would be nice if they would report back, in this thread.  It's been some time now.

Edited by keeka - 30 Jan 2016 at 5:32pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 10:57pm
By "we" I meant myself and those participating in this thread.

Any Intel socket 115X processor's CPU cooler will fit in a socket 1151 (Skylake) mother board.

So that is socket 1156 (pre-Sandy Bridge), 1155 (Sandy Bridge ix-2000 series, and Ivy Bridge ix-3000 series), and 1150 (Haswell ix-4000 series and Pentium Anniversary, and Broadwell ix-5000 series) Intel stock CPU coolers will all fit in each other, and now Skylake 1151 ix-6000 series.

Regarding my personal knowledge of ASRock using a Skylake stock cooler with their H170 boards, I don't know. I would be surprised if they did not use/test one.

Are you still having the same problems after BIOS version 1.50, if I read what you wrote correctly? If not then we could most likely say it was a BIOS problem. Or has the behavior changed at all?
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 11:26pm
My board came with 1.0.  I upgrade it directly to 1.8.  Had other problems and downgraded to 1.5, then to 1.8.  I believe I noticed the ~1400RPM once whilst on 1.5.  I was dealing with a different BIOS problem at the time (resume from sleep).

I saw iwik's post, so have just upgraded to BIOS 1.9.
I think there may be some changes wrt fan control.
I have now seen the fan spin at speeds other than 0 and ~2000RPM.
The CPU fan still needs in excess of 65% to begin physically rotating (any fan monitor app will report alternating 0/1050 RPM when the fan is stationary, and trying to start).  But now, once it has started to spin, it seems UEFI can smoothly regulate the speed, down to ~40%, with the fan visibly rotating and a reported RPM as low as ~1100.  The reported speeds look about right, observing/listening to the fan.
So there looks to have been some improvement.
Still not ideal the fan only kicking off once the power is sufficient to turn it at 2000rpm.

It also looks like the standard CPU fan profile has been changed.  I tried this and some custom settings in order to see if the fan would continue to spin when power was below 50%.

iwik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:02pm
What do you mix here? What bios 1.8 or 1.9? Some other board...

I found that in advanced mode I can select Fan mode "Auto" or 4-pin fan. I don't know if it is new bios feature or not. Speed reporting in A-tunning with no change, playing with profiles in bios seems to be able set somehow quieter mode

keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 1:45am
Originally posted by iwik iwik wrote:

What do you mix here? What bios 1.8 or 1.9? Some other board...

I found that in advanced mode I can select Fan mode "Auto" or 4-pin fan. I don't know if it is new bios feature or not. Speed reporting in A-tunning with no change, playing with profiles in bios seems to be able set somehow quieter mode

Sorry for the confusion.  My board is an H170M PRO4.  I experienced similar issues as those you described in your OP.   A new BIOS for this board also appeared 25/01/16, with same description.  Though the BIOS version is 1.9 rather than 1.5.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 4:08am
keeka and others in this thread, I don't know if you've tried what I will describe here, but if you haven't, you could try this and see if it improves the way the Intel CPU cooler behaves.

First of all, IF you are using a version of A-Tuning that is NOT from your board's download page, then that may be at least part of the problem. You MUST use the A-Tuning version from your board's download page.

You may have found newer or different versions of A-Tuning, by the release number, that are used by other ASRock boards. Those different versions do not have improvements or changes that apply to all ASRock boards. These other versions are at best the same as the version on your board's download page. It is possible that the different versions of A-Tuning are not the best for your board. Please use the A-Tuning version from your board's download page ONLY.

I'll describe how to uninstall A-Tuning on your PC, and install it again. Installing A-Tuning fresh again might fix your problem, IF you want to do this. I can't guarantee this will fix your problem, sorry to say, but it's worth a try IMO.

First just run the uninstall option for A-Tuning from the Windows Programs and Features screen. Sometimes not all of the A-Tuning files will be removed after running the uninstall program. You can check for that situation and remove the files manually by doing the following:

Open Windows Explorer on your C: drive. Double click on the Program Files (x86) folder. Then find the ASRock Utility folder, and open it. If you don't see this folder, there's nothing else to do.

If you do have the ASRock Utility folder, then open it and look for an A-Tuning folder. If that folder does not exist, nothing else to do.

If you do have an A-Tuning folder, delete it. Or if that fails, go into that folder and delete anything in it. Hopefully the permissions will allow you to delete the files.

Next get the latest A-Tuning installation program from your board's download page. Be sure to run it on your C: drive. Left Right click on it and choose Run as administrator. When it completes, restart the PC.

Finally, run A-Tuning. Run the Fan Test for the CPU Fan1, and others of course too. If you still get the same results where the fan does not run until the 50% level, I just wasted your time. Embarrassed

Beyond this, we'll need to continue trying to discover what the issue is.

EDIT
Left click? wardog was here

Edited by wardog - 02 Feb 2016 at 4:24am
akulp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akulp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 4:55am

keeka and others in this thread, I don't know if you've tried what I will describe here, but if you haven't, you could try this and see if it improves the way the Intel CPU cooler behaves.

First of all, IF you are using a version of A-Tuning that is NOT from your board's download page, then that may be at least part of the problem. You MUST use the A-Tuning version from your board's download page.

You may have found newer or different versions of A-Tuning, by the release number, that are used by other ASRock boards. Those different versions do not have improvements or changes that apply to all ASRock boards. These other versions are at best the same as the version on your board's download page. It is possible that the different versions of A-Tuning are not the best for your board. Please use the A-Tuning version from your board's download page ONLY.

I'll describe how to uninstall A-Tuning on your PC, and install it again. Installing A-Tuning fresh again might fix your problem, IF you want to do this. I can't guarantee this will fix your problem, sorry to say, but it's worth a try IMO.

First just run the uninstall option for A-Tuning from the Windows Programs and Features screen. Sometimes not all of the A-Tuning files will be removed after running the uninstall program. You can check for that situation and remove the files manually by doing the following:

Open Windows Explorer on your C: drive. Double click on the Program Files (x86) folder. Then find the ASRock Utility folder, and open it. If you don't see this folder, there's nothing else to do.

If you do have the ASRock Utility folder, then open it and look for an A-Tuning folder. If that folder does not exist, nothing else to do.

If you do have an A-Tuning folder, delete it. Or if that fails, go into that folder and delete anything in it. Hopefully the permissions will allow you to delete the files.

Next get the latest A-Tuning installation program from your board's download page. Be sure to run it on your C: drive. Left Right click on it and choose Run as administrator. When it completes, restart the PC.

Finally, run A-Tuning. Run the Fan Test for the CPU Fan1, and others of course too. If you still get the same results where the fan does not run until the 50% level, I just wasted your time. Embarrassed

Beyond this, we'll need to continue trying to discover what the issue is.

EDIT
Left click? wardog was here

Hi. Another one with this really annoying problem. I'm sooo angry on myself, because I bought AsRock 2 days ago. One thing I really wanted was quiet PC in my living room.

And this problem don't seem to be fixed soon as I see ...

Anyway I have

H170M-ITX/ac + i3 6100

I tried with your solution with fresh install and even with beta version of A-T, but no luck ...:(

-------------------

Is there any other solution for this problem. Would there be any difference with stock cooler from my old i3 or some 3rd part cooler?

Thank you.

Edited by akulp - 05 Feb 2016 at 4:58am
akulp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akulp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 5:36pm
Working!

1. I uninstalled beta.
2. Installed back latest stable version for my mobo.
After restart nothing better.
3. After shutdown ... voila!

Many thanks @parsec!

---

Edited by akulp - 06 Feb 2016 at 1:51pm
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 4:45pm
Good news as far as H170M PRO4 and a stock intel i5-6600 NIDEC fan.
ASRock TSD sent me a beta BIOS (P1.90B).
My board was able to regulate the fan speed smoothly from 1000rpm @ approx 50%, to 2000RPM @ 100%.  I have reported back to them my results with both ATuning fan test and Open Hardware Monitor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic