ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

LGA775 INCOMPATIBILITY WITH UEFI GPUS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gioxxx84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LGA775 INCOMPATIBILITY WITH UEFI GPUS
    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 2:31am

Hello to everyone,

I did a lil search and I didn't find similar topic so I started this one because I believe I m not the only one having such problem .

I have an ASROCK G41C-GS motherboard with the latest bios v1.40C, an ANTEC PSU of 550w and a gpu GIGABYTE GTX 650 TI BOOST 130W TDP that so far have been working absolutely fine.Yet i wanted to squeeze out   everything this system has to offer, so i bought a Palit GTX 1650 SUPER StormX 100W TDP.

I have tried everything i could (clean installs of drivers , installs through safe mode using ddu) ... Every time when the graphics driver of nvidia is attempted to install/load, the screen goes black loosing signal and it cannot be recovered. From what i read around the net it s a common issue with older boards not supporting uefi...Is there a way to go around this issue ?. I must add here that i have done the 771 to 775 mod using a xeon 5470 and i modified the 1.40c bios   adding the newest cpu instructions for those xeons   (2015 latest update) . That way the system works flawlessly , windows recognise the cpu everything works smoothly with the old gpu, so i believe this is not the issue. There s another board still being on the market , the G41C-GS REV 2.0 with newer oem bios than the original board ... could i use that since the 2 boards seem identical? ..Is there UEFI support or anyway support for the latest GPUS ? Spending 100 bucks to conserve power and bosst a lil bit the performance of my aging system is one thing ... having to spend few hundreds of euro to build a whole new pc is another thing especially in the current circumstances. Please consider that before you easily reply to me to go build a new system to fit in the GTX 1650 SUPER. GPUS should work in every board having pcie x16 and appropriate PSU power with varying performance ofc but still functional, since the manufacturers requirements for GPU are limited down to the PSU WATTAGE/available power connectors and a minimum storage space available NOTHING ELSE.

Thank you in advance
Rheaun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rheaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:20pm
Had the same problem upgrading from gtx660 with LGA775.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:43am
Unfortunately, that's just how things are with older, non UEFI boards. You can try
checking redit and other places for BIOS hacks etc but I doubt you will find anything.
The hardware is just too old, it is why certain used prebuilt systems (lenovo,
dell, hp etc) are not popular for cheap gaming builds, they do not support UEFI
and thus cannot support more modern GPUs.

Your best bet would be to pick up a used 4th gen intel i5 prebuilt for cheap and
use that, it will probably cost you around 100 euro or so. Otherwise, you are stuck
with the original GPU I'm afraid. Just do not buy a small form factor system
(mini PCs), they are cheap but they are often almost impossible to upgrade.

You can blame GPU vendors for this (AMD/Nvidia), they chose not to retain backward
compatibility with pre-UEFI systems. Then again, anything that needs UEFI would
be severely bottlenecked on a system without it anyway. I can see why they chose
not to convolute their VBIOS with redundant code.

I would not attempt to flash to the Rev 2.0 BIOS, it will almost certainly not
work, it is why they make revisions rather than just keep releasing the same board
name, it's because they are NOT compatible at a BIOS level.

If I were you I would return the 1650 super and either pick up a decent used
prebuilt (as I said above) and a used RX 570, the cost will be close enough to
just the price of the 1650 super.

For a new system, that is faster than your current one, you will be looking at
at least 200 euro or so.

Your existing 1650 super
Athlon 3000g
A320 board (for a super tight budget) or a B450 (for upgrade options later)
8gb of DDR4 RAM (2x4gb)

The rest of your components you could reuse. This obviously would be your best
option, you can upgrade to a much better CPU later if you go the B450 route.
Even with the a320 board you can upgrade to something like the soon to be released
Ryzen 3 3100 for $100 USD (so probably 100 euros). The 2 core 4 thread Athlon
will outperform your Xeon, use less power (by far) and allow you to play all
current games.
Gioxxx84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gioxxx84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 1:52am
Thanks for the detailed reply , i was hoping that since i upgraded cpu instructions up to the latest from intel from 2015 perhaps there wouldn t be ann issue.. I had a problem upgrading from xeon x5460 to x5470 with windows 10 not recognizing it correctly and having BSODs and that updated microcode solved all issues . therefore i was hoping to max out what ever performance i have and upgrade later on but yes i agree i m gonna pick up new parts while having this old system running and build a solid   ryzen system in the lowest prices possible keeping the 1650 snce i m not fun of huge screen 4k and all.. i ll stick with 20- 24inch screen 1080p   gaming andi need simultaneous streaming for   djing. I had sent the card to be checked as defective since the manufacturers though t so and my mention to them that i have an old motherboard and perhaps its incompatible , didn t get a definite response. They kept claiming its either a hardware error or a conflict between drivers. Anyhow the tests proved the card to be fully functional so i ll take it back and store it till i gother the rest of the pieces.I could try a fresh windows install but i don t have much faith from what i ve seen so far and the things you are telling me...One correction though.. RX570 has the same issues with hese newer nvidia cards actually i chose nvidia cards because they are said to work with non uefi as well .. But seems that was the case up to the 1050-1080 series...yet buying a 1050 ti new costs around the same as a 1650 super n Greece that has more than double the perfonce so it wouldn t worth it anyway ... For now im probably Screwed... Again thanks for the reply !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic