ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSD detected but won't show up in boot options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSD detected but won't show up in boot options
    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 10:46pm
MoBo is a B450M Steel Legend with a Ryzen 5 3600. SSD is a Samsung 840 EVO and is the only storage device currently plugged in.

This PC is a new build. The SSD was brought over from my previous PC and was working just fine before. I formatted it and tried a fresh install of Windows 10 1909 using a USB stick.
The Windows 10 install process happens normally until the system is restarted, which then boots back to the UEFI instead of continuing the Windows installation.

The SSD is displayed correctly under the Storage Configuration menu, but won't appear on the Boot Option Priorities Menu.

If I try starting the Windows 10 installation back from the beginning, it correctly displays the SSD, partitions and default folders from the previous install when asking to choose an installation drive.

I've already tried formatting it again, changing SATA ports, enabling/disabling CSM. Any help is appreciated.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:15pm
hit f6 boot options

did you install the operating system in uefi mode ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
GSilver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:41pm
When opening Boot Options, the only message displayed is ?śNo boot device detected??

I wasn?™t aware that I should install the OS in UEFI mode. I created a bootable USB stick using the Media Creation Tool in another PC and used it to install Windows on the new rig without changing any options. I?™ll try creating a UEFI Windows installation using Rufus and see if it works.

I also tried connecting my media HDD to a SATA port (no OS installed, only pictures and videos from my previous PC) and it was displayed as a boot option.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:54pm
you can use the media creation tool

and i advise that you do
then when first booting hit f6 for uefi boot (windows boot manager)

you dont need rufus at all

to be honest with a clean formatted ssd it just should do it for you with bios defaults set

eg plug in usb and have ssd on sata0
let the system try to boot
it will find empty ssd then look at usb for a bootable option , which it finds as media creation tool it runs setup and on reboot now checks ssd first and reboots into windows for setup finalising and driver installs etc

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
GSilver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:16am
Well, now I feel stupid. I reformatted my SSD in another PC, reset UEFI to stock settings, redid everything, still nothing. Then I tried swapping the SATA cables for the SSD and the HDD and suddenly it worked, the SSD showed up correctly as a boot drive, but the HHD has disappeared.

Turns out both the original AND the replacement SATA cables I used on the SSD were defective in some way.

Thank you so much for your time! My system is ready to go!
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 1:41am
happy days mate

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic