ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skylake CPU caution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 10:50am
It was i who had the bent pins on two mobo's. Cry

I got lucky and was able to fix the second board with a bent pin. Up and running now and fully functional.

I have no way to be sure but if I had to bet I would lay the problem at the feet of my previous chip. I got an rma for that chip and all good now.

Built many many systems in my time, first time I ever saw bent mobo pins.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 10:51pm
The latest take on this from Cryorig, maker of large CPU coolers.

It only happens on "prebuilt PCs that are shipped or transported by the owners", to paraphrase. Also, CPU coolers with spring mounting pressure screws won't suffer from this issue.

Well DooRules, that really fits your situation... not.

I'm sure that pre-builts like IBuyPower that ship PCs with two '980s in SLI on a $100 board with the stock Intel CPU cooler for Joey gamer boy are worried now. They just sell sooo many PCs with Noctua NH-D15s...

Funny how it seems Intel is not taking much of a hit on this. You are wrong wardog, it's Bad aftermarket CPU cooler, and Bad UPS. Wink

I'll never forget the monitor I had shipped from Newegg that literally had a boot print in the middle of the box. I opened it a bit for fun, the screen was crunched and shattered. The best part was after contacting Newegg, whom sent me a new one, told me the ruined monitor now belonged to UPS. Clap
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 3:40pm
FarmerVin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerVin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:26pm
I had this issue with an Asus Maximus Impact VII itx and a Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2.  Board wouldn't post so I went through everything and found a few bent contacts on the socket. 

I have an ASRock replacement arriving today and I'm very nervous about installing this cooler again. I hope my CPU isn't damaged... It doesn't look warped. 

I'll post a picture of the socket. The way the contacts are damaged doesn't look like an over tightening issue, but this is the first time I've ever  experienced something like this.

I  feel like I must be at fault. It's a $230.00 lesson...so far, but I don't feel like I've learned anything from it.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 12:45am
Originally posted by FarmerVin FarmerVin wrote:

I had this issue with an Asus Maximus Impact VII itx and a Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2.  Board wouldn't post so I went through everything and found a few bent contacts on the socket. 

I have an ASRock replacement arriving today and I'm very nervous about installing this cooler again. I hope my CPU isn't damaged... It doesn't look warped. 

I'll post a picture of the socket. The way the contacts are damaged doesn't look like an over tightening issue, but this is the first time I've ever  experienced something like this.

I  feel like I must be at fault. It's a $230.00 lesson...so far, but I don't feel like I've learned anything from it.

The Corsair AIO CLC CPU coolers, which I have used in the past, all use a generally identical mounting system for the pump/water block that attaches to the CPU socket. There are four mother board standoffs that only allow so much pressure to be put on the CPU. Once the four "arms" on the water block contact the top of the standoffs, continuing to tighten the four thumb screws does not cause any more pressure on the CPU.

I've broken the threaded part of the standoffs when I tightened them to much, and had to get replacements. I even created my own standoffs with screws and spacers that allowed more pressure to be put on the CPU. I never bent any pins in the socket doing this (but anyone doing something similar must know they are responsible for anything that happens when you don't use the standard parts.)

If the CPU substrate (the green part that looks like a printed circuit board) was bent, you could see it. If you put the CPU on a flat surface, with the bottom of the CPU on that surface, you could see the edges of the substrate not touching the flat surface.

Every time I get a new mother board, the first thing I do is inspect the pins in the CPU socket. Put the mother board in an area where nothing can fall onto it. Have a good light source so you can see the pins easily. Carefully open the the CPU socket. Use a flashlight but don't drop it! Since the pins are so small, it is easier to notice a difference in the appearance of the pattern of the pins than trying to look at each pin. Move the flashlight around to illuminate the pins in different ways.

The CPU fits in the socket only one way, be sure you know the orientation when you put the CPU in the socket.

When you tighten down the water block on any AIO or custom water cooling system, always do the following. This is only for mounting Intel processors:

1. Be certain the backplate for the water block is mounted correctly on the back of the mother board. The Corsair backplates have two notches that must be aligned with two of the screws holding the CPU socket's backplate in place. Otherwise the cooler's backplate will not be flat and pressing evenly on the bottom of the board.
  2. The Corsair backplates have four spacers that press on the bottom of the mother board, and have a small "crown" that must be located in the holes in the mother board. When the four Corsair standoffs are screwed into the backplate from the top of the board, the backplate should not be very loose once the standoffs contact the mother board. A little bit loose is Ok, and you can add washers under the Corsair spacers to eliminate any looseness of the Corsair backplate.
  3. When you attach the four thumbscrews that press the waterblock onto the CPU, tighten them down in an X pattern. Meaning start, for example, at the lower left thumbscrew, then do the upper right thumbscrew, than lower right and finally upper left. Repeat this pattern, turning the thumbscrews about the same number of turns each time.
  4. Once the thumbscrews no longer turn easily, just firm them up a little bit tighter, and you're done. I like to put a thin washer on each of the four threaded studs of the standoffs, so the pressure from the thumbscrews is more evenly distributed on the arms of the water block.
IMO, the Corsair AIO CPU cooler mounting system is not of the type that can easily damage the pins in the CPU socket. I've used many of them and never bent the pins in the CPU socket.
FarmerVin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerVin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 1:45am
Thanks for the response. 

I just installed the ASRock ixt. Posted ! no problem. May be something got into the socket on the other one.

I have to agree. I don't think the cooler was the issue. 
anu0512 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anu0512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 6:23pm
Hi,

Well mine is working fine. I have 6700K and Corsair 100i V2 with Extreme 6+

Edited by anu0512 - 21 Jan 2017 at 6:24pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 1:14am
Originally posted by anu0512 anu0512 wrote:

Hi,

Well mine is working fine. I have 6700K and Corsair 100i V2 with Extreme 6+

Great, I'm not surprised.

It's been over a year since this thread was started, and this "issue" has not become a problem for Skylake processor owners. I have not seen any mention of this with Kaby Lake processors, or that anything was changed with their construction because this was an issue with Skylake.

Considering the CPU delidding trend among some enthusiasts, if there was a problem with the construction of Skylake processors, we would be hearing about it from them by now.
Ba1bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ba1bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 6:55pm
Greetings, I'm new here and I registered to clarify some issue with motherboard.

I have a ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac and its missing one socket pin. I suppose that someone broke off improper handling.

As yet I have not tried, I was wondering can it work without one pin and if there is a risk of damaging the processor?

I marked the spot on picture for missing pin - http://i.imgur.com/lhSfVCU.jpg

Thank you!

Edited by Ba1bum - 08 Apr 2017 at 8:07pm
hydrogaming23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydrogaming23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:14pm
 I just bought the i7-7700K, and use my old aio watercooling deepcool mailstrom would it be a problem, should i loose some screw just for the safety of it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic