ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skylake CPU caution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skylake CPU caution
    Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:00pm
For those of you not already aware there appears to be issues regarding warping on Skylake CPUs when using some aftermarket CPU coolers. The substrate used on the new Skylake process is significantly thinner than previous generation CPUs and as such some CPU coolers that use excessive pressure to hold in place are warping Skylake CPUs and causing system failures and instability.

If you have made the jump to Skylake then be very careful what coolers you use. Many manufacturers have listed Skylake compliance on their cooling products so be sure you use one that meets Intel's mechanical specification.

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 08 Mar 2022 at 2:11pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:19pm
Sorry. I couldn't resist the temptation ..........

Skylake has arrived, Processing just went warp...
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:25pm
Serious now I am :)

Good article, in German with pics, discussing Skylake warping:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Luftkuehlung-Hardware-217993/News/Skylakegate-Kuehler-zerstoeren-Sockel-1151-CPUs-1179237/
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
helpmepls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helpmepls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:35pm
good that i got an i5 haswell.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:00pm
Apparently it is only a problem with large, heavy tower style coolers. From what I have seen it does not appear to be an overly common issue. I created this thread not to warn people away from Skylake but rather to caution on choice of cooler. Even with the larger coolers you should still be ok so long as you do not over tighten them to the point they warp the CPU substrate. This is not a new issue and is certainly not restricted to Skylake, any cooler that does not meet the mechanical requirements of the CPU it is installed on has the potential to cause damage. 

Again, I created this thread as a caution for new builds/upgrades. This is the kind of info that can save a lot of trouble and frustration. Use a Skylake compatible cooler and you will not run into these issues. This is not a criticism of Skylake CPUs, it is merely information. Many people were skeptical when intel moved the pins from the CPU to the motherboard socket but the design is still in use several generations later and has proved efficient and resulted in a lot less damaged CPUs via bent pins.

If anyone wants to contribute by listing CPU cooling that is compatible with the platform please go right ahead but do not use this thread as an excuse to bash or otherwise post unproductive comments. 

Ultimately, most people with a decent Haswell CPU will not be looking to upgrade to Skylake anyway Wink I am shortly making the jump to Skylake myself and discovered this info during the usual research I do before adopting a new platform. I will be taking this into account during my own build and felt I should share it here for my fellow forum members who may not be aware.

[Edit]
Tom's Hardware has posted an article on the issue for anyone interested.

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Dec 2015 at 2:13pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:01am
Well, I have a Noctua NH-D14 on my i5-6600K, in my ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board. The specs list the NH-D14's weight with both fans as 1240 grams, or ~2.73 pounds. Shocked

But weight is not likely the main problem, it's pressure on the CPU from the CPU cooler mounting.

My middle name is "torque", meaning I like things tight. Wink  I did not spare the screws during the mounting process. They are tight to a stopping point, but not much more.

I have no problems with that PC at all. I just changed the memory to G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 Pinch which had me worried about using it at that speed. Clicked the XMP profile in the UEFI, booted right up the first time and every time. If the pins in the CPU socket were compromised, I would expect problems. I'm using a 4.4GHz OC.

All this does NOT mean I think this issue does not exist. A friend of mine using the same board has apparently bent pins in the CPU socket on two of them, using a custom water cooling CPU block. He said he barely tightened down the water block on the second board, but had the same result, one bent pin in the socket. He used the same CPU on both boards, which I would bet has a warped/bent substrate. As Xaltar said, the substrate on Skylake processors is visibly thinner than previous Intel processors.

IMO, it is a bit odd that just recently we are seeing this being reported. One of the main factors of compatibility with CPU coolers across different socket types (1155, 1150, 1151) is the distance between the surface of the mother board and the top of the processors IHS when mounted in the CPU socket. That must be identical or the contact pressure between the IHS and CPU cooler's contact plate will be to little or to much.

My point is did something change with later production runs of the 1151 processor sockets. I guess it is still early in this mystery but hopefully we'll learn what is going on eventually.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:07am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

IMO, it is a bit odd that just recently we are seeing this being reported.

Yea. Hi Torque!

Meh, most shoot for the biggest baddest HS money can buy. Then the OC the pis* out of it. Pushing insane voltages. Voltages which result in heat.

Heat that is most likely, and over much time, now allowing/causing the substrate to deflect when hot and now "cure' in this position/deformity.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:09am
Bad Intel

hehehe, that coming from an AMD Groupie I am.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:48am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Heat that is most likely, and over much time, now allowing/causing the substrate to deflect when hot and now "cure' in this position/deformity.

This is a very interesting theory, the vast majority of the reported occurrences I have seen have been overclocked and while I did not see any indication of voltages used it is a fairly safe bet that at 4.5ghz+ they may have been pushing it. Heat may well be causing the substrate polymers to soften, resulting in bending. I have to admit, this makes a lot more sense than "heavy coolers broke it" and would also explain why not everyone using monster tower coolers are having this issue. That combined with the fact that the substrate is rated by intel at the same tensile strength as previous gen CPUs would lead me to believe you may be right. 

Edited by Xaltar - 06 Dec 2015 at 2:49am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 9:34am
Twice in my OC'ing days do I wish AMD offered what Intel does.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

To those with warping processors, buy a plan and then sit on it for a couple weeks before turning it over for replacement.

That is if Intel themselves don't come around to owning up to this problem.

hehe Bad Intel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic