ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASROCK 970M Pro3 CPU Throttling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TechLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASROCK 970M Pro3 CPU Throttling?
    Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 3:46pm
hi guys, sorry to take so long to reply, I've been away.

@wardog, I've tried that, it just keeps all cores  @3.5 Ghz.

However, I might have found the issue. It seems to be some kind of software problem OR design of the turbo core. The one that pointed me in the right direction was AMD Overdrive.
So with everything in BIOS on default, AMD Overdrive reports 17.5 multiplier for normal CPU use (3.5 Ghz). Also, in the same menu, AMDO has a submenu called Turbo Core Control which was AUTO SET to 19x multiplier (3.8Ghz). Just bumping that multiplier to 20.5 made the CPU jump to 4.1 Ghz. I've done some stress tests and it works like a charm, the cores do jump to 4.1 and everything is stable.

But here is the funny stuff. As I said early, Turbo core hits in like this:
- 4/6 cores jump to 3.8
OR
- 2/6 cores jump to 4.1
Also, the turbo cores take turns very fast, meaning that each of the cores will reach the turbo speed in turn. The thing I am sad about is that there doesn't, at this point, seem to be a way to have both Turbo speeds enabled at the same time. You either choose 3.8 and 4 cores will jump in turn to that speed or choose 4.1 and 2 cores will jump from 3.5 to 4.1 directly.
Maybe I'll do some benchmarking to see which is faster.

At this point, anybody else with a CPU that has turbo core would be nice to chip in how their CPU works.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:47pm
Back to the basics .......
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:46pm
TechLord,

Items on my mind .......

In the BIOS disable CnQ + C States + any Core boost + APM, set OC Mode to Manual

Check Windows Power Management is set to Performance

Lastly, Is prime failing on any cores?

PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 5:17pm
Thank you for the clarification regarding the fans. The reason I thought the fan speed wasn't correct was that I see similar fan speeds reported even though I have all my fans spinning at full rpm all the time. I also remembered incorrectly that the HWMonitor doesn't show the correct CPU fan speed, which it does (it was Speccy and AMDOD that didn't). Your fan speeds seem to be what they should, so you can basically just disregard my comments about the fan speeds.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
TechLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 3:56pm
I am not sure why think the CPU fan speed is weird. I've set in BIOS to stay at 1500 RPMs which makes no sound at all and as soon as the CPU temp goes above 45C (the target cpu temp setting) it goes full speed (around 2700 RPMs) to compensate. When the CPU is idle and goes below 45, the cooler returns to 1500 RPMs. It seems to be working well, I now have 4 monitoring tools installed and all report "good" temps.
The Chassis FAN is not displayed because it's powered by a molex not from the pins on the MB.

For now, I am focusing on windows 10 regarding this issue. Any other ideas are welcomed. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 8:53am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

I'd say the CPU fan speeds are not correct. For some reason at least some aftermarket CPU coolers do not seem to agree with this motherboard when it comes to reading that fan speed. It doesn't matter what program I use to monitor the fan speed, on my system it keeps jumping between ~1250 rpm and ~2500 rpm, even though it's staying at a constant ~2000 rpm (the maximum speed for my CPU fan).

I double checked this, and it turns out I didn't quite remember the numbers correctly. On my system the HWMonitor shows both SYSFANIN and CPUFANIN data. Of these the latter is correct, 1988-2000 rpm, while the former keeps hopping between two values. All fans on my system are spinning at constant speed, however. I don't know why TechLord only gets fan speed data for CPUFANIN.

I also did a comparison with two other programs.

AMD Overdrive: Only one fan speed is given and the rpms keep jumping around all over the place. I saw ~2200 rpm, ~3000 rpm, ~3700 rpm, ~4000 rpm, ~5600 rpm and ~6000 rpm and values in between these.

Speccy: CPU fan speed jumps between ~1250 rpm and ~2500 rpm.

Edit: Typos again.

Edited by PetrolHead - 06 Dec 2015 at 9:44am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 8:40am
Originally posted by TechLord TechLord wrote:

- PSU - I've run prime for 10 minutes, this is how the voltages look:

I'm not a 100% sure what all of the voltages are supposed to be, but the ones on the right at least seem reasonably close to their expected values. The pesky thing about voltages is that the sensor data is not very reliable, but you've got to work with what you've got...

Stage 1 makes 4 of the 6 cores go from 3.5 to 3.8 Ghz but the chosen 4 cores are dynamically selected even if all 6 cores are at 100%. So only 4 get Turbo at one point in time. This works in my setup.
Stage 2 makes only 2 cores go to 4.1 Ghz but ONLY if the rest of the cores are IDLE. This doesn't seem to work and I blamed the motherboard but I find it difficult to test it. No matter what I do, there is always a small load on the other cores which seems to prevent the Max Turbo to kick in.

So Stage 1 seems to work as it should and the only issue is that the CPU never seems to go into Stage 2, even with just one worker in use? I've no experience with Windows 10 myself, but my friend complained that the second last update did something to cause his cooling fans to spin up even at idle. The latest update has made the issue smaller, but it's still not as quiet at idle as it's supposed to be. Now, there may of course be many reasons to this, but maybe there are some system processes running in the background that are taking more resources than they should. Have you checked what your CPU loads and speeds look like when you're not doing anything else than running HWMonitor? You should be able to see the lowest possible clock at least some of the time on some of the cores, maybe even all of the cores some of the time (depending on what you have running).

Edit: Typos.

Edited by PetrolHead - 06 Dec 2015 at 9:48am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 8:27am
I agree with wardog. Those FX-related bugs are only supposed to apply to Windows 7. If you want, you can still try different performance settings and see if that changes anything.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Temps too look reasonable. Aside from the fast ramping of the CPU fan and what it signifies.

I'd say the CPU fan speeds are not correct. For some reason at least some aftermarket CPU coolers do not seem to agree with this motherboard when it comes to reading that fan speed. It doesn't matter what program I use to monitor the fan speed, on my system it keeps jumping between ~1250 rpm and ~2500 rpm, even though it's staying at a constant ~2000 rpm (the maximum speed for my CPU fan). So when I run Prime95 or anything else for that matter, I'm seeing basically the same thing as TechLord. As long as the temps are reasonably stable while running Prime95, I don't think there's reason to worry.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:40am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'm no noob when it comes to running prime or most other stress tests.

Indeed. At my age and time building I've been around the block once or thrice :)

Edited by wardog - 06 Dec 2015 at 7:40am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:38am

To tackle some of the points.

I'll chime in here again ...

The PSU looks good, regardless of its specs. It doing fine voltage wise.

Temps too look reasonable. Aside from the fast ramping of the CPU fan and what it signifies.

Let's go back to your  original post, the first one here at the to of this thread. Specifically two sentences you wrote

""I start prime95 and the core speeds go back and forth between 1.4 and 3.5 Ghz. Sometimes, the cores jump to 3.8 for a very very short while.""

and

""I start prime95 and all cores freeze at 3.5Ghz.""

I'm no noob when it comes to running prime or most other stress tests.

The OP's temps and voltages in the screenies look respectful, all things considered.

That leaves only one, ONE, explanation as to the jumping MHz his CPU is experiencing. Here and now I am again trying not to repeat myself concerning 970 chipsets and the usual and more suspect VRM section attached to them. It's not the chipset per se.

"Usual' I said there, not every. There are some 970 boards out there that do have a respectful and hearty VRM section.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic