ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock K7VT6-C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock K7VT6-C
    Posted: 16 May 2015 at 11:11pm
Ok so I have recently purchased an Asrock B85 Anniversary for my current build and as such have had my eye on Asrock for news on BIOS updates and the like. Congrats Asrock on getting a new forum up! So I got a little facebook post about a Socket A motherboard that is still working and remembered I still had my old socket A motherboard boxed up in the attic. Inspired by the facebook post I dug it out it turned out to be an Asrock! The Asrock K7VT6-C to be exact. 

So with that I proceeded to plug it in to a power supply and fire it up, it still works after years sitting in the attic exposed to the 44c summer heat and -12c winter chill. The only problem I found with it was that the USB ports no longer function, not a problem with a spare USB controller card I had laying about. All fired up and running linux with not an issue to be found!

Pics!

Excuse the shoddy cam pics please :)

I used this board to overclock my Athlon XP-m 2600 way back when it was an amazing CPU to overclock. I had it paired with the Corsair XMS DDR400 RAM pictured in the images and a Radeon X1600pro I no longer have. It was one of the best overclocking boards to be had on a budget back then, the only other alternative was an NF2 board and those cost a fortune at the time. If memory serves I managed to overclock the Athlon XP 2600 to about 2.8ghz on this motherboard, not bad going at all. As of this moment the board still boots into linux and runs some basic apps, in fact I am posting this from the pictured system paired with an old Radeon 9600LE (the only AGP card I still had knocking about). Now to find a nice budget case to throw this thing into and see if I can beat my old overclock on it!

Good luck to all with the campaign! 

Edited by Xaltar - 17 May 2015 at 12:01pm
bog_xdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bog_xdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:48pm
Good all times man, i had Asrock K7S41GX with some Athlon, didn't do overclock, but was my first pc.
Live free or die hard
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:30pm
Athlon XP was king back in the day Wink Great performance at affordable prices. I remember building AMD K6 systems that outperformed pentium II and III slot CPUs while still using good old "super socket 7". Its sad to see AMD has not had a jewel of a CPU in so long. Intel is sitting pretty at the top of the food chain with AMD sustaining itself on budget systems.

Edited by Xaltar - 17 May 2015 at 11:02pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 4:35pm
So I just got done building an open test bed and decided to nestle this old girl in it to see how things line up Cool

Its a pretty basic open test bed, I used the back plate and motherboard tray from an old case and fixed it to a nice laminated shelf I had bought for another project but never used. Added uprights to support the back plate and put it all together. It should suit my needs perfectly, I also added a power switch and LED for ease of use so I don't have to use the screwdriver trick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic