ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard won't turn on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciabbale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherboard won't turn on
    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 4:16am
Hello! I came here because this could be a easy fix, but I don't have the necessary knowledge to correctly diagnose the problem.

I own a 980 DE3/U3S3 ( link https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/980de3u3s3/ ) coupled with an AMD FX 8350. The motherboard sometimes would require me to power on, get black screen, so power off and power on again as soon as I heard the PSU relay.
I was involved in some overclock recently but it didn't go as you're thinking. It actually went well and I managed to hit 5.2GHz with no issues whatsoever.
This wasn't my goal so I went back to 4.2/.4ghz on a safe voltage and still no issues here.

What happened is that one day I was reviewing the bios settings, had to set and reboot multiple times and it was starting to show me the problem said earlier more often.
The thing is that on a supposedly safe frequency and voltage (still the 4.4ghz one that was set and running before) it suddenly wasn't able to boot at all anymore.
There weren't any blown components, smoke or anything, the only thing that I could experience is no video output, usual cpu heating and also (perhaps earlier unnoticed) heating from the other two motherboard heatsinks (https://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/980DE3U3S3(L2).png center and left of the picture)

Of course I tried resetting through battery removal with no result and the board is in its box for about 4 months now with still no result

Can you help me understanding what happened? Maybe it's just a corrupted bios chip which I might reprogram easily, or I have send it to some repair shop due to heavy damage
Ciabbale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciabbale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 4:21am
Must rectify: "..would require me to power on, get black screen, so power off.." I meant no video output with black screen, which I understand is different from actual black screen
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:29am
what voltage where you using to hit 5.2GHZ?
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Ciabbale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciabbale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:24pm
1.55v (max cpu safe limit) in dual core mode and for a very short time, just for test. In fact the motherboard died about a week later with lower settings.

That's what I dont understand because if it was my fault it would've died immediately..
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 8:12pm
PSU ok?
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Ciabbale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciabbale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 10:29pm
Yes the PSU seems to be in spec voltages.

Tried running the board without cpu, ram and any other component (other than psu and the speaker) but still got no beeps.
All the fans will start spinning as they normally would if attached
hotrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:18am
What cpu were you using, and what was your voltage for the "Safe OC"?

I has a very similar asrock board that I degraded the VRMs on with a 4.1 ghz OC with an 8320. It didn't happen right away, but it took a couple months before I killed it. This motherboard is only rated for 140w, which is a very mild oc on an 8 core. It's not out of the question that one of the VRM stages overheated and died - when they overheat, their resistance gets higher and it can cause a runaway effect that can cause it to die in a split second.

This VRM is pretty anemic and lacks a heatsink, and also pretty old. I think you've got a dead board, though you'd need to go through with a multimeter to check it.

It's probably time for an upgrade my friend.
Ciabbale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciabbale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:28am
FX 8350, around 1.3/1.4v.
Unfortunately I think you're right, and even more, upgrades or replacements aren't worth it right now. Thank you for your support..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic