ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fans not spinning, no POst, no nothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fans not spinning, no POst, no nothing
    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 10:53pm
Hello everyone,

I am experiencing trouble with a brand-new X470 Taichi Ultimate.

Here is the setup (all new):
Mainboard: ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, AM4
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe (1 TB)
RAM: 32GB (2x16) Patriot Viper 4 DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-36 Dual Kit
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO
Power: Corsair RM650, 650W
CPU fan: beQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro

The Taichi Ultimate does not react to the power button at all (neither on the case nor on the mainboard itself). Nothing happens -- no fans spinning, no lights blinking, no nothing.

I checked the mainboards's and GPU's power connection multiple times, removed everything but the CPU (incl. fan) and tried switching out the RAM (one stick in different slots). I always got the same result --> nothing.

I am completely stumped on this one.

Could someone let me know if at least the components (especially RAM) are supposed to work with the board?

Any tipps? I am getting the feeling that either mainboard or power supply are broken.

Thank you very much in advance!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:21am
Check the rear IO panel and make sure the Clear CMOS momentary switch isn't pressed
in by the IO shield. If it's stuck pressed in the system will not respond to the
power switch. Also check to make sure the clear CMOS jumper isn't set in the
clear position, this will also result in the same issue.
bugel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:29pm
Thank you!

Clear CMOS on the rear IO panel is not pressed.

Where can I find the CMOS jumper? I do not remember seeing this or reading about it in the manual.

General question: Should the RAM theoretically work with this board?
TheInvoker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheInvoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 6:14pm
You should buy a new motherboard on Amazon and see if you have the same result
unfortunately the only certain way to understand wherethe problem is, is to try each component with different hardware.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:30am
Your clear CMOS appears to be another button on the motherboard next to the power
and reset buttons. Make sure it isn't stuck pressed in.

I know this is silly but also make sure your power supply is turned on at the back
bugel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:25pm
Thanks again!

Now I know which button. It is not stuck, however.

Yes, the power switch; gold but gold, but not the cause either

Yesterday, I borrowed a multimeter and checked the power supply unit. While I get stable 230 Volt (AC) in (after the power cord), I measured 0 Volt (DC) on the output side. I checked multiple outlets and -- on the 24PIN ATX power cable -- went from the power-on pin to ground (like when bypassing it).

Long story short, I am pretty confident that my brand-new power supply does not work. This would also explain why the mainboard did not do anything upon trying to switch it on.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:17pm
Let us know how it goes with a new PSU, hopefully smooth sailing
bugel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 3:07am
The story goes on.

After getting a new power supply unit, which works (!), I was able to at least get the lights on.

Here is a big question: Will the Ryzen 3700X work with the Taichi Ultimate X470?

I tried two mainboards, one with BIOS version 3.10 and one with BIOS version 3.90. From my understanding, I need BIOS version 3.20 for the mainboard to work with this CPU.

Firstly, is it 3.20 OR NEWER or JUST 3.20? With version 3.90 the CPU and GPU fans worked, but the mainboard would not post.

I found that many people seem to have issues with the BIOS on this mainboard. I do not have another CPU to get the mainboard to post and flash BIOS. If I really need BIOS 3.20, I will simply send both mainboards back and get a completely different one.

I find it pretty ridiculous that ASRock puts a "Ryzen 3000 Desktop ready" sticker on their board, while it is gamble to get the right BIOS version or at least a BIOS version that even supports Ryzen 3000 CPUs.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:50pm
x470 taichi
requires bios version 3.4 or higher with a 3700x
its clearly listed on the cpu support page
so your v3.1 wont work (unless the sticker on the bios chip is outdated and the board has been flashed to a later bios by some link in the retail chain)

back to your issue
use the board with bios 3.9
try a full clear of the bios (do this by removing the cmos battery on the board , and unplugged system from the wall ,and press and hold the case power button for 30 secs)
then fit just one ram stick in slot a2
and just a gpu for display , do not attach any other dvd/hdd/ssd drives etc just go for a barebones boot to bios to see whats happening
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
bugel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 1:39am
Thanks!

It is the x470 Taichi Ultimate. So, the 3700X should be supported from BIOS version 3.20.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi%20Ultimate/index.us.asp#CPU

As I said, the mainboard with version 3.90 (according to the sticker) would not post.

I tried yesterday night, but had an M.2 SSD mounted. It is too late for me to test if CMOS reset is going to fix it, as I sent both mainboards back, today.

I am getting an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi), which hopefully works right out of the box.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic