ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock 970 extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 10:00am
I'm not sure if you lowered the voltage, but note that lowering the frequency doesn't by itself do much to help the VRM as the voltage and heat production will still be very close to the stock value.

Regarding your cooling: Unless you have a top-down blowing CPU cooler, it probably doesn't help in cooling the VRM at all. Also, while have four case fans means your case is well ventilated, you can still increase VRM cooling by taking one of those four case fans and positioning it inside the case so that it blows air directly towards and over the VRM.

Finally, while I know this is not why you got an FX-8320 for, you might also want to try disabling two of your cores from the BIOS/UEFI. I've no personal experience on how big an effect it might have, but if you're lucky, you might be able to run those six cores at stock speeds with little to no issues. Even if you lose some max FPS, I'm sure the whole gaming experience will be more pleasant if the frame rates stop dropping drastically. Also, the effect of going from eight to six cores using the same GPU varies from game to game, as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLYPs41guM

Edited by PetrolHead - 14 Dec 2015 at 10:02am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic