ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black screen after installing new RAM in motherboa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black screen after installing new RAM in motherboa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forestlinden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black screen after installing new RAM in motherboa
    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:37am
Hi guys. Noob here. I don't know PC parts very well and made a mistake last night.

I bought a Skytech Blaze2 gaming pc a couple months ago and tried to upgrade the RAM last night without checking the compatibility of the RAM I bought with the motherboard I have.

This build had this for RAM: ADATA XPG Gammix D10 8GB DDR4 3000Mhz

and this for a motherboard: ASRock AMD A320M Micro ATX

I bought 2 8GB cards of this and tried to install them: PNY XLR8 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz

First mistake I made was not checking compatibility, though I do see that the PNY XLR8 DDR4 32GB 3200 Mhz RAM is compatible with my ASRock motherboard. So, I should have been okay with compatibility...I think.

Second mistake: I powered the pc down but didn't unplug it, so, there may have been static shock risk.

I gently took out the 8gb of RAM this build had and put in the two XLR8 RAM modules and made sure they were seated fully and snapped in.

When I powered up the PC, the lights came on for 1 second, then went off for 3, then they came back on for a second, then off again for 3 seconds, then came back on and stayed on, but nothing happened on the screen. Just black. There were no beeps that happened.

I let it run for 1 minute then powered it off. No bueno.

I took out the new XLR8 cards and put the original ADATA XPG 8GB RAM back in to the slot where it was and tried to boot up the pc, but got the black screen of death again.

So, my first question is about whether or not the RAM I bought is compatible with my motherboard. The 32GB version of the PNY XLR8 RAM is on the comaptibility list for my motherboard, but not the 16GB version.

Secondly, and more importantly, what did I do wrong and how can I either get these new PNY RAM cards working or get the original 8GB ADATA XPG RAM working again?

Do I need to rest the CMOS on the motherboard? Or do I need to try and boot into BIOS and change some settings for the RAM? If so, I don't know how to do either of those things and am worried I might make things worse if I try those without getting some guidance.

Lesson learned here...that I need to slow down and check on how to upgrade parts of this build before I jump in and do it.

Thank you in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction.

p.s. More data on the build in case it will help:

It's running Windows 10 64 bit CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4GHz Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 Primary Hard Drive: 500GB SSD Power Supply: 500 Watt 80 Plus Certified
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 2:48pm
bottom left corner of your motherboard are your "clear CMOS" jumpers .. unplug PSU (or turn the power supplies switch to off) and then press and hold the power button on your case to fully discharge all the capacitors (residual power) .. then always either wear a grounding strap or at least touch some metal to discharge any built up static electricity in your body ..

Take the jumper and move it over so the middle and left pin are covered instead of the middle and right pins .. then move the jumper back to its original position .. your CMOS should now be cleared and now try booting with whatever RAM ..

Alternatively .. if that doesn't reset your BIOS .. you can pop that big watch battery looking thing out and keep it out for a few minutes or longer .. pop it back in and see if everything boots again.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:00pm
concur with threedee

sounds like youve locked your bios in a panic mode

weve ALL DONE IT !

in particular here was you should have RESET bios deafults before removing old ram and inserting new ones

reset the bios (i advise to go direct to the remove coin battery stage)
fit the old stick and try a test boot first

then power down and try the new kit
on a side note dont be too hopeful of the PNY RAM KIT working on 3200mhz
its not the best ram for ryzens by a long mile
you might have to settle for entering the xmp 3000/2666 mhz option
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
forestlinden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forestlinden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:21am
Thanks a ton for taking the time to try and help me guys.

I went through every possible way to reset the CMOS I could do and nothing was working.

Tried old card and new cards, and just one of the cards. Tried them all in different RAM slots as well. Still wasn't working.

Was able to get on the phone with a support person at Skytech, where I bought this pc, and he was stumped. Finally, we tried pulling out the graphics card and putting it back in, and that worked. Super weird, but glad to have found the fix.

Thanks for your help!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic