ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Bios update tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f3bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 8:51am
Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

Well, Gigabyte had a tool called "FaceWizard" back in 1999. on socket A (462).

My GA-7VA could be modified with that, just to change the boot-logo,
but it's a simple tool that works even today with most Gigabyte boards.

Why don't ASRock start with that?

ASRock AppShop/AXTU/F-Stream is good for almost nothing...

This is not the Bios splash tho. this mod actually changes the images in the Bios menu's. any image can be changed and updated. if all you want is the Bios splash all you need to use is "Change logo v5" from AMI.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

"I used UBU for the first time as an inexperienced user and I believe I must have dome something wrong. Help me please." That's where I'd cue the laugh track for 5secs, then hang up.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

In that case, it became Used Before Understanding

The following are not about UBU itself whatsoever, or its creators. Beer

Or...

Unbelievably Beyond U

U B
etter Understand

U
nintentionally Broken Unrecoverable

U
nrecoverable Beyond Understanding

U
niversal BIOS Undecipherabler

Unauthorized BIOS Underwriter

Uninitiated BIOS Unanalyzabler

Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

I use it for some time. It's a good tool.

But why can't we have a dedicated ASRock tool for that?

That would be so great and easy. But ASRock just don't want to expand
the community of MOD-ers and developers.

Sight...

Why can't ASRock, etc, provide such a tool? Many reasons, including:

• It would be a support nightmare. That one little sentence combines so many different aspects of the creation, maintenance, and continued updates of such a tool, to describe all of it would take days to simply type it in. That is, after all the real work was done, which would take months. I nominate you as the head moderator of the BIOS modifying tool support sub-forum. Good luck with that. Nuke
  • The true source of the firmware (such as AMI) could have legal authority over tools that modify their product. We have all agreed to comply with "Conditions of Use" for all kinds of software, that includes things like no reverse engineering or dis-assembly of the code.
  • Remember what happened the last time some of the mother board manufactures added a new option called "non-Z OC"?
You make it sound like other mother board manufactures provide mother board firmware modification tools. They don't. The one that was mentioned that changed the splash screen image is useful if you are 12 years old, is very simple compared to what UBU can do, and serves no real purpose.

As usual when complex things are simplified (a BIOS modding tool), everything is left to the imagination regarding what tools like this do.

While UBU is great, I'm sure its creators would tell you that what it actually can do is virtually nothing compared to what some people might imagine a tool like this would do, and what a boards firmware is capable of doing.

Can it add new UEFI/BIOS options? No.
Can it modify existing UEFI/BIOS options? No.
Can it simply change the text description of a UEFI/BIOS option. No.

Your accusation that ASRock, or any mother board manufacture, "... just don't want to expand
the community of MOD-ers and developers", because they don't supply a "BIOS modding too" is ridiculous and without basis.

I believe ASRock does not provide BIOS Modding tools, besides the reasons I listed above and others I did not think of, is because that is not the goal,  intent, and purpose of the ASRock corporation.

Edited by parsec - 15 Dec 2015 at 1:32pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 3:44pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:00pm
Ok that's just wrong.... No wonder we are seeing such tiny IPC bumps with each generation, their design and R&D teams are distracted LOL

Back on topic, I agree with ASRock_Expert to an extent that it would be nice to be able to change the boot logo without needing to use a third party tool. That said, I don't think ASRock has in any way ignored or failed to cater for the modding community at large. How many other manufacturers include IO Armor on their budget boards? Most users prefer stability over customization so more BIOS/UEFI gadgets = more to go wrong, it really is that simple.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Ok that's just wrong.... No wonder we are seeing such tiny IPC bumps with each generation, their design and R&D teams are distracted LOL

Credits for not throwing "itty bitty t******" in there.

Wrong?? Geek
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 4:29pm
No comment LOL
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

No comment LOL

Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkk! Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkk!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:17pm

Dayum. Mexico, here I come.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/erialopez?trk=pub-pbmap

https://www.linkedin.com/in/beatriz-padilla-87994a27?trk=pub-pbmap

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alemedina?trk=seokp-title_posts_secondary_cluster_res_author_name

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ana-sanchez-91b4636?trk=pub-pbmap

Go Intel !!

... and now for something completely different... the stuff above.

So THAT is what corporations are about. NOW I get it!

What, no comments on bit maps? "See her full profile here..." Wink

Wait... OMGosh, I thought I'd never see this! wardog said "Go Intel !!". Shocked

Too Late! We have it in writing! Except, no Xeon's in 970 boards... LOL

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 3:25am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

"See her full profile here..."

Mmmmm, I'd really really REALLY like to comment on that but Xaltar would Lifetime Ban me and the IP I ride in here on.

Ouch
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 3:52am
lol go right ahead, this thread is a little off topic already and it isn't a support thread so I doubt anyone would mind. We really need a general chat section here for this kind stuff. It helps keep things light and fun Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic