ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Boot With +16GB RAM - 990fx Killer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:49pm
Coming back to this quagmire .......

http://www.memtest.org/

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Without advancing further, are you familiar with both the above programs?
kwag_myers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwag_myers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 1:51am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Without advancing further, are you familiar with both the above programs?

Nope. Didn't know something like this even existed. I'll give them a try at my next break between holiday parties! Thanks.

Update: I had a talk with a veteran gamer/pc builder who was able to dumb things down to my level. I realized that more RAM doesn't mean more voltage. Subsequently, I tried a couple lower settings, 1.5 and 1.375, but still no post.
You've been Kwagulated!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 6:11am
1. Pair off your two 8GB(2x4GB) Kits by consecutive s/n's
2. Plug one kit in and using CPU-z look at the SPD tab. Take a screenshot of BOTH sticks SPD in CPU-z by selecting each stick individually using the dropdown box in the upper left corner of the program.
3. Swap that pair out for the remaining pair, do the same two screenshots of SPD tabs of these two sticks
4. Now, compare the columns and rows of the four SPD tabs you have now.

They should be identical. They MUST be identical. Any difference(s) that might exist is very well your issue.

---

Let me know what you observe in the above. We then might proceed to using MemTest86+.

Edited by wardog - 30 Dec 2015 at 6:12am
kwag_myers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwag_myers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 7:16am
Well, that was interesting. First pair, no problem. Second pair, no post. I removed one stick and it booted right up. I'm guessing I got a bad stick. I continued with the test as per your instructions and all columns (for the three sticks that work) are the same.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to contact Corsair about this stick.

btw, I looked for a way to add "SOLVED" to the thread title, but didn't see how. Also, I ran the MemTest86+ while I went to dinner. No issues with the three sticks.
You've been Kwagulated!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 2:48pm
Deleted My Original Post

There. Another one solved.

Edited by wardog - 30 Dec 2015 at 2:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic