ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock B85 Anniversary BIOS issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:56am
My experience with G3258s is different than yours, but the last one I bought is about six months old now.

The first one I have starts to hit its wall at 4.0GHz. Above that it needs over 1.3V to boot and be stable at 4.1 - 4.2GHz. 4.5GHz is virtually impossible, it would need 1.4V+ to boot. So I gave up on that one.

The second one I bought, months later, is much better. It will do 4.5GHz at 1.2V and is stable and works great.

One thing I "discovered", although it really is obvious and nothing new, is this. Running at stock speed, 3.2GHz, I kept reducing the CPU voltage until the PC would not boot. Then I would go back to the last Vcore that booted, and checked it for stability. If it was stable, or needed a bit more, I would adjust it and the result was the lowest Vcore needed for stock clocks with that processor.

My second G3258 at stock speed is stable at 0.83V! I doubt I will ever forget that Vcore! My first G3258 needs a Vcore of ~1.0V at stock speed to be stable. While I can't say that Vcore scaling vs speed is a straight line, how obvious is it which one will be better to OC? The actual results after over clocking both speak for themselves.

IMO, using this method to check a CPU for its OC potential is pretty good. Of course, using this method is a sure way to either disappoint you, or admire what is possible with the silicon lottery.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 3:58am
I can do 4.3ghz @1.28v with the igp disabled and 1.32v with it enabled so the igp plays a role too. Unfortunately my CPU just won't do anything past 4.5 at anything even close to resembling acceptable voltage. 4.5 I can do at about 1.48v which pushes my system past thermal limits under IBT and bsods. If I use X264 stress test I can pass at 4.5 at that vcore but I use 4.5 only for benchmark runs and run at 4.3 full time.

I can post at 4.6 all the way to 5.0 with 1.5v but I get instant BSOD as soon as windows tries to boot and I can't push the voltage any more than that on this board because the input voltage does not scale up enough with its auto setting. I really wanted to get a validation at 5ghz with this cpu but alas the lottery was not in my favor. 

I guess my CPU is in the lower segment of acceptable lottery wise, I can get it stable at 4.5 I just don't like the voltage I have to pump into it for it to work. It was a transitional purchase anyway just so I could play with OCing it Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic