ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Pro4 RAM issues after Update to 3.20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_L1011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Pro4 RAM issues after Update to 3.20
    Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 9:23pm
Good Day,

Yesterday, I installed to the latest 3.20 BIOS version (from 3.10) for my X570 Pro4 MOBO. As expected the update was successful and all my settings were deleted and I started placing them back as required.

For my RAM the update deleted the XMP profile so I set that one back up to the (it defaulted to 2133 MHz from 3600) to 3600MHz with 1.35v 18-22-22-48 timings. I saved my settings and did the reboot. My MOBO did its power cycle but it never successfully POST after that it shut itself off and returned to the original defaults. I tried a second time by setting the XMP value again and rebooted and the second time it POST without a power cycle. Just to make sure I went and rebooted my computer from Windows and after the reboot I couldn't get POST and it went back to defaults.

I decided to downgrade back to my previous BIOS 3.10 (which was the last working one) and the issue has not presented itself when I changed the RAM timings using the XMP profile and the system is booting and rebooting normally.

I'll keep the 3.10 BIOS for now. I did a stress test last Saturday with Prime95 for 7:30HRs and it didn't throw an error. Therefore I am not sure if there's something else going on. Has anyone experienced similar issues after updating the the latest 3.20 BIOS?

These are my RAM specs...
Corsair 32GB (2x16) 3600 memory - details on webpage below
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2D3600C18

My other Specs...
AsRock X570 Pro 4 MOBO
Ryzen 9 3900X CPU (at normal clock speeds 3.8GHz and 4.6GHz boost)
Corsair CX750X PSU 750 Watts
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Sapphire Nitro+) with 8GB/video memory

Thank You!

- Mike

Mike_L1011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_L1011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
Update:

It seems this may be a BIOS or MOBO specific issue. I reseated my memory and tried the BIOS update a second time. The result was the same the didn?™t POST after enabling 3600MHZ memory profile in XMP.

For now I reverted to 3.10 BIOS.

I got some other things to try...

1. Ordered a new RAM Kit from Crucial (BL2K16G36C16U4B) Ballistix 2x 16GB DDR4 3600 RAM the timings are better and from their website the RAM should work with the MOBO.
2. Test my current RAM set again (Ran Prime 95 last Saturday after building the computer and no errors were reported). Any additional thoughts on this?

After that I have run out of ideas to follow...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 9:29pm
Bare in mind that sometimes an update fixes issues with one RAM model and breaks
things for another. If you have a BIOS version that works for you stick with it
and try the next one that comes out. RAM compatibility, particularly XMP is still
very much hit and miss.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic