FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsung SM951-AHCI 512GB on Z97 Extreme6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samsung SM951-AHCI 512GB on Z97 Extreme6
    Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 8:05pm
Thanks Parsec, I took a look again online and found this and you are correct, while the SM951 was originally slated to have NVMe support, the final released product it would appear does not. The original article I found seems to have been a review on a pre-release version of the SM951 and thus caused my confusion. 

Thanks, I will update the SM951 boot thread. It seems that support to boot from the SM951 was added along side NVMe support (and not mentioned in the bios update notes).

Edited by Xaltar - 28 Jun 2015 at 8:06pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

For those using intel 9 series boards you need the latest bios update in order to support NVMe. NVMe support is whats needed to allow booting from the SM951 and other NVMe drives.

Sorry, but this is not correct.

The SM951 SSD that has been available for a while now is not a NVMe SSD. For lack of a better term it is an AHCI SSD, since it uses the standard Windows AHCI driver (msahci or in Win 8/10 storahci) rather than a NVMe driver.

The confusion is caused in the case of the Z97 Extreme6, for example, in that the UEFI version needed to boot from a SM951 is 2.10 (or beyond) whose description is:

1.Update microcode, ME and VBIOS.
2.Add NVME support

I can assure everyone that NVMe support is not what allows you to boot from a SM951. The Beta UEFI version for the Z97 Extreme6 that allows booting from the SM951 has this description:

Improve M.2 compatibility.
sitedude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sitedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:41pm
looks like somebody got it..
http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/60639-sm951-asrock-z97-extreme6-boots-but-running-slow.html

But I don't understand how to get this working :/
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 12:14pm
For those using intel 9 series boards you need the latest bios update in order to support NVMe. NVMe support is whats needed to allow booting from the SM951 and other NVMe drives.

Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 7:01am
anyone had any luck with an AHCI SM951 in an adapter and used on a z87 board, with windows 7 ..... and be bootable ?
sitedude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sitedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:34am
Hi!

I have also a problem by installing Windows 7 Prof 64 Bit on my Z97 Extreme6 with Samsung SM951

My components:

2048MB KFA2 GeForce GTX 750 Ti EX OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 2xDVI/1xHDMI/1xDisplayPort (Retail)
256GB Samsung SM951 M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s MLC Toggle (MZHPV256HDGM-00000)
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Intel Z97 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX Retail
Intel Core i7 4790 4x 3.60GHz So.1150 BOX
32GB (4x 8192MB) Corsair Vengeance schwarz DDR3-1600 DIMM CL10-10-10-27 Quad Kit

I tried to install from my original cd but it just loops on this "start" with the microsoft logo coming together from 4 pieces..

How can I install Windows 7??
ianh82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianh82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 3:07pm
asrock z97 extreme 6 bios 2.30
intel i5 4690k @ stock
16 gig of kingston hyper x beast 2400 mhz ram
256 gig sammy SM951 pci-e ssd drive

usb drives used: 8 gig data traveller
16 gig generic brand

both formatted fat32 in rufus.
windows 8.1 pro 64 bit. iso burned with rufus.

when im in the bios i get usb: ************ and also EUFI: (usb) **********
pressing F11 and selecting EUFI does nothing and when its selected in the bios and boots to it, black screen with flashing cursor top left and then error messages about inserting boot media.

mr GPU, which is not in the case, is a GTX 970 EVGA OC edition.  i had 4 hard drives and 1 ssd which are all removed.  basically, its the mobo, ram, CPU and SSD on the mobo and thats it.  all opticals are excluded too.

a funny thing is that i took out the SM951 and then connected my original boot drive, a 128 gig kingston SSD which was working fine, no longer boots!
Everton FC
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 11:34am
Originally posted by ianh82 ianh82 wrote:

Angry

i'm having major issues, nothing i do, and i've followed all your guides on this thread, work.  tried several usb sticks, and all the same, no boot screens or selecting EUFI usb drive works.  just blank screens.

We need to know what hardware you are using, since not every mother board can support the SM951. I assume that is what you are trying to use, you did not mention the drive.

What video source are you using, a video card or integrated graphics? If you use a video card, and depending upon the configuration in the UEFI/BIOS for the SM951, your video card might not support what is called GOP, a UEFI graphics protocol. Since you gave us no details, I can only suggest trying the integrated graphics on your PC, if available.

Otherwise, you can get into the UEFI/BIOS, and you find a boot entry that is, "UEFI: flash drive name", correct? So you only get blank screens when trying to boot from the Windows installation USB flash drive?

I have had problems with large USB flash drives, such as 64GB models. They must be formatted as exFAT, but Windows must be on a flash drive formatted as FAT32. That cannot be done on large flash drives. A 8, 16, or 32GB flash drive works fine formatted as FAT32.

What OS or version of Windows are you using?
ianh82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianh82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 6:14am
Angry

i'm having major issues, nothing i do, and i've followed all your guides on this thread, work.  tried several usb sticks, and all the same, no boot screens or selecting EUFI usb drive works.  just blank screens.
Everton FC
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 9:53pm
There should be no problem using the 128GB AHCI version of the SM951. It is not included in the list because ASRock did not specifically test that capacity. The basic compatibility enhancements of the 2.10 UEFI will work with any capacity AHCI SM951.

Reviews of the NVMe version of the SM951, using Windows 8.1, have shown a problem with the Microsoft native NVMe driver. Basically, it causes reduced write performance. Whether or not Win 10 will have an updated NVMe driver is unknown, at least AFAIK now.

The ASRock Z97 Extreme6 has had two UEFI updates for NVMe support. I have not personally used any of the few NVMe SSDs that currently exist with my Z97 Extreme6, so I cannot verify they work perfectly. Check reviews of NVMe SSDs (by Intel and Samsung) for compatibility.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic