ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PC Modding > Project Build&Share
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Superdense mITX build - 3d printed chassis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinusoid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:40am
UPDATE: Cutting down the PSU cables
Okay! So let's set up a workbench and get down to work:

I covered the sensitive parts of the board with blue tape, since there's gonna be a hotair and solder involved. Last thing I want is to get a drop of solder onto the mobo or the PSU.

Tried soldering and heat-wrapping the first cable. It turned out the cables are electroplated with something, and solder doesn't really like it. I thought this may be the case, so I trimmed the wire with some tolerance, to allow me to amend it.

THe workbench got populated pretty fast.
I used a dremel tool with a grinding stone to carve off the electroplating off the wires. Solder caught them brilliantly then.

Heating the shrinkwrap and taking a photo at the same time. It's called safety at work -_-

Then I clamped it and trimmed it, it looks like so:

A closeup on the soldering.
I know I should have soldered it differently, but meh. It's not gonna undergo any tensions, there is no way this is gonna come apart.

Aaand we slowly progress, wire after wire...

Aaaand we're done!

I also trimmed down the additional powercable that's not utilized by the mobo:

And that's how the board looks like now. I also trimmed down the 8 pin connector cables a little:

Workspace shot:

Aaand we're done! A summary pic of what's been removed from the board:

That's how it looks like from the top now:

And this is gonna happen next:

I will cut the AC cable, move it to the connectors panel, and trim the little board with GPU and HDD connectors, then move it so I can access the GPU wires on the other side of the board (more about this later), and the HDDs are gonna fill up the empty spaces on this side of the mobo I think, so that's where their power cables are gonna be needed.
sinusoid2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinusoid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:00am
Now a quick sneak peek of what's to come.

30000 hours MTBF, ceramic core brushless DC, fit for continuous operation, 15W nominal power, max. operation temperature: 110 deg. Celsius. Those are 1/2 inch threads you see there.
Cost me half of the motherboard. Cry These things are used as recirculation pumps in house heating, solar installations, etc.

Of course we're gonna carve off the top and 3d print a more suitable chamber for the little beast of a turbine this baby houses :)
Illegalseagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 7:23pm
Lol
Of course custom water loop...
How did I not see this coming?
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Intel i5 - 4690K @ 4.5ghz
Stable Overclock
sinusoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinusoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:08am
Oh come on, water? Wink

It's the 21st century, we can use something that has a relatively low freezeing point (-50°C), high decomposition temperature (316°C), is a natural lubricator, has low viscosity, and is a chemically inert insulator.

Something that is, unlike water, perfect. LOL
Illegalseagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:11am
Eh...

...is it beer?
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Intel i5 - 4690K @ 4.5ghz
Stable Overclock
sinusoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinusoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:48am
Well, since it's a scratchbuilt project, we can always make it beer... Sleepy

I prefer Club Mate, though :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic