ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AR Fatal1ty 970 Performance- RAM compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:46pm
CPU-Z shows just a vague overview of some of the SPD entries. AIDA64 tells you every profile and sub-timings as well. But I can't tell, if it reads them out without a licence (Demo). Don't get confused, as some timings may not be available in your BIOS and vice versa.

Availability of AMD RAM Kits is really few an far between in Europe. I am lucky to have 1-2 merchants in Austria. Amazon.de and co.uk should have them too. But compare the prices, as Amazon (Marketplace) often has ridiculously high prices.

Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

That's not a huge surprise considering everything above 1866 MHz is an OC if the motherboard has more than two memory slots in total, everything above 1600 MHz is an OC if there are four slots and two or four memory modules, and everything above 1333 MHz is an OC if any of those modules are anything other than single rank.
At least my Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 runs fine with 4 x 8GB Radeon RAM @ 2133 MHz. :)
2400 is useful and usable with APUs only.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by dinin70 dinin70 wrote:

When I'm running furmark on CPU it gets pretty quickly over 60° (less than 10seconds) and I prefer stopping before harming too much the CPU.

The CPU will start throttling or will even shut down before it is damaged, assuming the safeguards work as they should. 60 C isn't even close to the danger zone of physically harming your CPU, but the CPU can become unstable well before thermal throttling kicks in.

In any case, if you didn't even have the radiator on, then something's not right. You should at the very least try installing the CPU cooler again from scratch. Remove the CPU cooler, remove all of the old TIM, apply new TIM (read some tutorials on applying the TIM beforehand), reinstall the CPU cooler and see if the temperatures remain the same.

Quote By the way, I have only Fan on the CoolerMaster: must the fan be looking upwards or downwards?

I don't really know what upwards or downwards mean in this context. If you are using the TX3 Evo - or any other tower cooler - the fan should blow the air towards the back panel. This will increase airflow over the VRM section. You should also have a case fan on the back panel sucking hot air out of the case. If you get a top-down blowing CPU cooler, then, as the term suggests, the fan should be blowing air towards the motherboard.

Btw, the TX3 Evo you have doesn't seem to have an official recommended TDP, at least not on the manufacturer's website. Based on the weight and dimensions of the heatsink, as well as the maximum rpm of the 92 mm fan, I'd say it should be okay for 125 W TDP CPUs such as the one you have. However, under full load it may struggle with an octacore and you will likely see high socket temperatures unless you can direct airflow towards the socket.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by WKjun WKjun wrote:

At least my Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 runs fine with 4 x 8GB Radeon RAM @ 2133 MHz. :)
2400 is useful and usable with APUs only.

2133 MHz is a nice OC, considering the "stock" value is at best 1600 MHz with that many sticks, but I'd expect bumping the CPU-NB voltage a bit to be enough to get there. Unless it's required to get a CPU OC stable, it might not be worth the trouble though. Only a limited amount of applications outside benchmarking benefit from faster RAM and in most cases it doesn't matter whether your RAM is running @ 1333 MHz or @ 2400 MHz. If one is able to combine tighter timings with lower clock speeds, the clock speed matters even less.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 2:55am

Btw, the TX3 Evo you have doesn't seem to have an official recommended TDP, at least not on the manufacturer's website.

I noticed that too, odd, as most other brands do.

I based my remarks of it as it's recommended down to the foot warmer, heat the earth, arctic ice shelf be damned, Ozone? What ozone?LOL ,  Socket 754 procs. And NewEgg reviews also.

Heck, if it can keep a Socket 754 processor cool ...... I thought to myself ... I still took at peek at the NewEgg reviews.
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:39am

2133 MHz is a nice OC, considering the "stock" value is at best 1600 MHz with that many sticks, but I'd expect bumping the CPU-NB voltage a bit to be enough to get there. Unless it's required to get a CPU OC stable, it might not be worth the trouble though. Only a limited amount of applications outside benchmarking benefit from faster RAM and in most cases it doesn't matter whether your RAM is running @ 1333 MHz or @ 2400 MHz. If one is able to combine tighter timings with lower clock speeds, the clock speed matters even less.
AMD's "stock" value is 1866 since the FX line of CPUs. Setting it to 2133 via AMP is hardly a big accomplishment, I think. ;)
Intel stuck at 1600 for a long time, pushing DDR4 instead.
Since the CPU-NB is 2200 on all high clocked FX CPUs, there is no need to raise voltage and/or speed of it. Not until RAM frequency gets above 2200 - it has to be risen equally or higher. Some of my machines ran for some time at 2400-2500 CPU-NB. One even at 2600. With enough juice, these strange effects like graphics anomalies occured very seldom, but they happen.
Mind that this counts for Vishera cores only. Zambezi didn't like to be pushed above stock, not even 10 MHz, regardless the voltage I've tried.
Many people say, RAM frequency should be favoured to timings. On AMD (FX) a good mixture is the goal. I am very happy with my Radeon RAM kits, running at 2133 / CL10-11-11-28-1T / 1.65V.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 10:19am
Originally posted by WKjun WKjun wrote:

AMD's "stock" value is 1866 since the FX line of CPUs.

That's only true for FX CPUs if the motherboard has two available slots in total. If it has four, and even if you're only using two of them, then the stock value is 1600 MHz. If any of the used modules is dual rank, then the stock value is 1333 MHz. AMD's values are likely conservative, however.

Quote Many people say, RAM frequency should be favoured to timings.

In some cases this may be true. There are a lot of variables, however, such as: Intel or AMD, IGP or dedicated GPU, what is the used application and what sort of frequency and latency differences are on the table. For example in this test some applications clearly benefitted from faster memory, some applications didn't really care and for some the sweet spot was one of the slower settings.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

Edited by PetrolHead - 13 Jan 2016 at 10:20am
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 1:37am
Right:
I actually was surprised to find this, backing your statement. I've never used a board with fewer than 4 slots available and thought the low default frequency was because the modules were not read out correctly and/or for compatibility reasons generally. That it definetly depends on how many slots are available, seemed a bit illogical at first. But I think it has to do with the usual board (or CPU?) maker recommendation to fill the second slot of each channel first. In that case, the board acts and works just like a fully populated board, which less possibly runs higher speeds (and Command Rate 2T becomes default). That's why I always recommend filling out the first slots of each channel, to gain CMD Rate 1T and higher frequency.
Tks for the update! Clap

The andantech article reflects my memory of the general conclusion: "MHz Matters more than tCL" - except for some exceptions. Wink

Edited by WKjun - 14 Jan 2016 at 1:44am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 5:09am
It seems weird that a motherboard manufacturer would suggest using a setup that might perform worse. I would instead expect the lower RAM speeds having to do with how much load is put on the IMC, but even in this case the effect of the total amount of available slots seems a bit odd.

And yes, the anandtech article's conclusion does somewhat reflect that general conclusion (although it does add "unless you compare over large MHz ranges"), but if you look at the measurements - and especially if you don't use an IGP - you'll see that the results are far less clear cut. A lot of the results show an insignificant performance differences between the whole range of MHz and CL, especially if you don't include the measurements that can be considered statistical outliers. Even in cases like WinRAR and the h264 HD benchmark, where the trend seems to be pretty clear, you may find that 1866 MHz CL 11 is as fast as 2666 MHz CL10, or that at 2666 MHz the latency doesn't seem to matter, at 2400 MHz lower is better but at 2800 MHz higher was better.

It occured to me that maybe there should be a separate thread for this discussion. Could one of the admins transfer at least these latest messages over to the OC Technical Discussion sub-forum into a new thread and name the thread accordingly, maybe "RAM Clock Speed and Latency"?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 6:27am
It's ALL about the generational advances concerning the iMC within the processor.

Look at that chart on "ddr3memoryfrequencyguide.aspx" linked above. Note it is placed under the heading "The memory controller." . From the bottom of the chart and up to the top, iMC advancements are very obvious.

And that we here dabble in all things AMD, we recognize that guide strictly as a reference but certainly not the rule.
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 4:50pm

It seems weird that a motherboard manufacturer would suggest using a setup that might perform worse."

It is weird! Maybe for the sake of compatibility?

For example, some excerpts of MB manuals:

970 Performance:
"Please install the memory module into DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2 slots for the first priority."

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0:
"Recommended memory configurations"
Single Channel: DIMM_A2
Dual Channel: DIMM_A2 + DIMM_B2

At least at Auto, CMD Rate would most likely be 2T, forcing 1T to be unstable, depending on modules and speed set.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic